Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castaic Lagoon 12/27

Default Castaic Lagoon 12/27

Today was slow for largemouth, just like it has been for a few weeks at the Lagoon. Robo Bass and I arrived at around 7:45 after stopping by Castaic Tackle (small store, but has good stuff) to pick up a couple things. We went to a couple different spots for nothing and then finally went to our secret crappie spot. Robo Bass caught 2 crappie there fairly early in the day and one was huge. I still hadn't caught anything and I thought I was going to get skunked for the first time in a while! We fished in some different areas for largemouth, but I still hadn't caught a fish. Finally we went back to the secret crappie spot and I caught a good size crappie. A couple minutes later I caught a small crappie that fought as much as the bigger one, because it was hook on its side! Haha! Then after a few more minutes, Robo Bass hooked into a MONSTER fish. It was going crazy and making long runs. He would reel it up some and then it would make a hard run back to the bottom. His drag was burning the whole time! Then it made another powerful run and Robo Bass put his cranking hand on the rod to get some extra leverage to keep the fish from pulling his rod in the water, but he accidentally grabbed the line along with the rod! This made it so that it wasn't letting any more line out while the fish was making a run and the line snapped! It was terrible after seeing how much the fish was fighting. It must have been huge, but we aren't sure what kind of fish it was. The water was around 50 degrees today and the air temperature was even lower, so we were cold most of the day. We ended up staying until closing once again. I can't wait for the largemouth bite to pick up!

My first crappie of the day. Pretty nice size and fun to catch.

I didn't take a picture of my second crappie because it was pretty small.

Robo Bass's nice 2 lb crappie.

Robo Bass's smaller crappie.
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 12-27-2009 at 08:05 PM.

Ya the pic doesn't show his obesity

Default goon

thnx for your report and pics....good job out there..

cm

nice to see a late season crappies. thanks for report and pics.

Sweet catch! I have to start tubing looks like alot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by formosa View Post
    nice to see a late season crappies. thanks for report and pics.
    Ya they don't seem to mind the cold as much as LMB, they were still hitting and fighting as aggressive as they normally do.

I just realized that the bigger crappie that I caught yesterday was my PB. It was 1 inch longer than my previous PB crappie. They are so much fun to catch.

Default secret

So much for your secret spot!!! ... lol

Quote Originally Posted by SDDave View Post
    So much for your secret spot!!! ... lol
    Lol. You can't tell the distance and that is key. If you are off even by a little bit, you won't catch anything! The angle doesn't give a good idea of the exact location either. All it gives away is the general location!

Great pix. What kind of lure were you guys using? I've never caught crappie at castaic before. Congrats on the catch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast