Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legals Butts and a New Species! Sunday Morning S.W.A.T. Session 12/20/09

Default Legals Butts and a New Species! Sunday Morning S.W.A.T. Session 12/20/09

Headed out to the surf this morning for a few hours with Flyngby and BSP for a Level 3 S.W.A.T. mission. We hit the surf without any high expectations due to the high surf conditions the last few days and the gradual cool down of water temperature.

My work has been quite hectic with the Holiday Season and I just wanted to get out there to get my fix before starting another grueling work week dealing with the Christmas rush. Last night was my company Christmas party and needless to say… I was operating on zero sleep and a well depleted energy tank. But Steve and Marc kept me going all morning and the final results were more than acceptable. Bones & JerryG, we missed you guys out there!

Conditions: Mild temperature with hazy sunshine. Moderate surf with swells up to 3-4 feet with the wash cycle in full effect. Water clarity pretty much clear and void of salad in most areas, surprisingly with the recent high surf. Very little baitfish presence.

Techniques: All three of us were throwing hard baits.

Fishing time: 7:00am to 12:00 noon.

Total "Team" Fish Count - All Released.
    (3) Legal Halibut (22", 23", 24")
    (1) Short Halibut
    (1) Zebra Surf Perch
    (2) Smelt

Overall, it was a relatively slow morning. But I'm not complaining at all about the legal to short Flatties ratio.

Pics for the day:

New Species! A rare Zebra Surf Perch.

Torpedos.

One of BSP's many battle wounds... blood attracts predators Marc.

We dragged this Crab/Lobster trap up... is this even legal???

The LC, it catches everything!

Check out the "New" Team 57 website!

Steve, Marc and Dad... always a pleasure fishing with you guys. Thanks for joining me out there in Paradise.

Steve, post up some pics with Eddie (Hesbros) in the surf for the first time!
    Sorry about the one that got away today... that was one big fish.

Merry Christmas everybody! While you're busy with the Holiday Season... take a moment to remind yourself what this time of year is all about.

Check out this home decoration display!
    http://www.flixxy.com/best-christmas-lights-display.htm

"The best gifts around any Christmas tree is the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other."

"There's nothing sadder in this world than to awake Christmas morning and not be a child."

Parting shot.
    Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by Wingnut; 12-20-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections + add.

That zebra surf perch looks awesome. Nice job on all the halibuts too.

Definitely a good day, even though I wore the skunk. The company and jokes more than made up for the lack of fish. Can't wait to do this again soon... except with a few more halibut in the picture. The SWAT mentality helps motivate everybody, and you can't help but have a positive surf fishing experience with the SWAT guys around.

Arthur, once again we hit the surf and have a solid day! You've got a great sense of humor, and congrats on the PB zebra perch. Too bad the blood didn't attract anything today. You beat me in the fish count (again), but victory will eventually be mine . All I have left to say is... WHY!?!?!

Steve, you are one killer surf fisherman, and an all around great guy. Sorry about the few downers that happened today, but there's a huge halibut in your future because of it. I am glad to finally have met you, and hope we can share the surf again!

Merry Christmas everybody!

Marc aka bsp
    Last edited by bsp; 12-20-2009 at 08:07 PM.

nice going wingnut as always. i remember you carrying a handheld gps last time. what brand and model is it? one more thing, do you mind PMing me all the coordinates of where you're catching halibut?

Hey bro, why didn't you take one of those flatties home for christmas dinner? Do you even remember the last halibut that you took home? Today was a nice day to fish but I had to finish my christmas shopping.

As usual, terrific report. Looked like the fishing was a bit slower but you didn't spend as much time on da water. Hope to fish with you again.

-- Greg --

That Zebra Surf Perch looked so killer, nice catch's all around, I'm headed out tomorrow when I get off work for my fix because the rest of the week is gonna be crap weather...Where do you get your LC's? I got a SS90v.2 "American Shad", but couldnt find any that looked like the ones you throw.

Way to go out there guys!

I'm looking forward to another adventure with the S.W.A.T. Team. When I get in a little better shape that is. Level Three is pretty extreme to me right now.

Happy Holidays Arthur and to all the hardcore S.W.A.T. Team!

BTW...I'm liking the new Team 57 gear!
    Last edited by PONTOON; 12-20-2009 at 08:07 PM.

I don't know where Wingnut buys his LCs exactly, but I do know that they're Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 110s. You can get them at Hooked Up Tackle, Angler's Center in Newport Beach, Performance Tackle in Los Alamitos, and a lot of other tackle stores. Chain stores generally won't carry them, but actual tackleshops near the coast will

FYI Wingnut: smelt ceviche is a fantastic hangover remedy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast