Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: jig reel help

Default jig reel help

I am looking to buy a new trout jig reel cost is no prob so what is the best to bye?

shimano stella or stradic 1000. stellas are $350+ and stradics are 159+. he new areo wrap technology and the new roller bearing really help the new shimano lineup. ive been using my stradic for jigging the last 2 weeks everyday and havent gotten 1 loop on my spool. the line stays wound nice and tight. my old reels.... forget it, i would get atleast 2 birds nests a day. i love my stradic.

I think we just had a Steeze vs Stella thread???
    Cant beat quality.... IF price is no problem...

When Trout fishing jigs and/or 2# line for any fish.. !!
    IMHO it is more Rod feel & quality, Plus good fresh line, then the Reel...
    As long as you have a smooth drag on the Reel, it is the right one....

You dont need a $400 Reel for trout by any stretch of the imagination..

I have slayed zillions of trout (to 10#) and bass & Halibut Etc (fresh & Salt) on my Ugly Stick, Cuda line and Abu Cardinal over the years..
    I take care of the Reel and Drags & change the line often..
    Its still my go to most of the time, even when I have expensive Reels and Custom rods...
    It has paid for itself 100 times over...

Save your money and buy the G/F / Wife some flowers (and maybe a Diamond).. Youll be much happier in the long run....

+1

set a budget on how much you want to spend on a reel and stick to it. Just make sure the drag is consistent and smooth.

btw I'm using a $15 abu cardinal 100UL with 2lb. One of these days I'm sure I'll up grade.

id stick with a stradic or even a symetry. my buddy has a custom rod with the stella and i feel like im going to break it when i pick it up because its so light. if you want light weight while saving some money, check out the stradic CI4 at your local tackle shop. its lighter than the steeze and comes in at just under $200.

Ok thanks for the help.

If you want to have wicked JDM gear that owns USDM ultralight reels, try to find one of these, maybe this one, or this series if you like Shimano more than Daiwa.

yeah..u dont need a $200 trout reel man....like nessie said..something with a SMOOTH drag tho....any stick whatsoever can result in a lost fish or more using that light line....I fish 2 and 4, mainly 2...I use a "Tiny 20".....cost me like $20 and has lasted quite awhile....

if you want shimano...get an FB or an FD....in the size your prefer...nice reels and cost around $50-$80...and no one can touch Shimano in customer service if you have probs with it...

again..just my opinion....

GD
    Last edited by ghetto dad; 12-21-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Definitely agree with GD. You don't need an ultra expensive trout reel. I made my suggestions because you said money was no problem, so I figured that you may as well go with the best. Not necessarily the most sensible, but it's like cars. A Volkswagen station wagon will get you to work just as safely and reliably as a Lamborghini, but the Lambo will look a lot cooler and be more luxurious to drive. It's a lot less sensible and costs a ridiculous amount though.

That's kind of like trout reels. At a certain point you are paying a lot more for a lot less improvement. The difference is very noticeable between a Shimano FX and a Shimano Sahara. Same with the Sahara and Saros. Saros and Stradic... not so much. Saros and Stradic CI4, noticeable difference. CI4 and Sustain, not really. Same with the Sustain and Stella. if you've got the cash go for it, but don't feel deprived if you don't have the ultra top of the line gear. Like GD said, your $60-$80 reel will catch as many fish as your $400 reel.

All that being said, if you can afford the expensive reel without sacrificing anything go for it. I assume Lambo owners don't just have a Lambo. They probably have other cars to handle practical things, and the Lambo is a luxury. Look at your reels like that. Fishing is a hobby, and your gear is a luxury. Once you've spent money on the essentials (family, food, clothes, gas, kid's college fund), then look at the amount you have left and decide how much you want to spend on a luxury.
    Last edited by bsp; 12-21-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    Definitely agree with GD. You don't need an ultra expensive trout reel. I made my suggestions because you said money was no problem, so I figured that you may as well go with the best. Not necessarily the most sensible, but it's like cars. A Volkswagen station wagon will get you to work just as safely and reliably as a Lamborghini, but the Lambo will look a lot cooler and be more luxurious to drive. It's a lot less sensible and costs a ridiculous amount though.

That's kind of like trout reels. At a certain point you are paying a lot more for a lot less improvement. The difference is very noticeable between a Shimano FX and a Shimano Sahara. Same with the Sahara and Saros. Saros and Stradic... not so much. Saros and Stradic CI4, noticeable difference. CI4 and Sustain, not really. Same with the Sustain and Stella. if you've got the cash go for it, but don't feel deprived if you don't have the ultra top of the line gear. Like GD said, your $60-$80 reel will catch as many fish as your $400 reel.

All that being said, if you can afford the expensive reel without sacrificing anything go for it. I assume Lambo owners don't just have a Lambo. They probably have other cars to handle practical things, and the Lambo is a luxury. Look at your reels like that. Fishing is a hobby, and your gear is a luxury. Once you've spent money on the essentials (family, food, clothes, gas, kid's college fund), then look at the amount you have left and decide how much you want to spend on a luxury.
    Sorry brother...i wasnt refering to your post...lol...didnt even click your links...just saw another members post.....no disrespect intended....

I guess it would depend also on how much time someone is actually going to put into it....

good luck with whatever you purchase brother...all posts are good advice..just depends on what you wanna spend....

have a good Holiday!!

GD

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast