Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Castaic Lake 12/17/09 Plus Size Units with Pops

Quote Originally Posted by gletemfeelsteelgary View Post
    congrats on the catches, looks like a great days slay out there and some quality family time, I got huge props for that.....I salute you !
    Nothing like getting a good solid catch and spending some time with family !

One small suggestion though for next time, take a few photos with you guys in it for scale, it's difficult to get a true idea of the scale of fish with a photo of a fish in the net or when one holds them at full arms length.
    Pictures can be subjective but those fish your pops is holding look to be about 4 lbs..

Not bellittleing your catch in any way just food for thought, nice fish...nice slay..

Nice work.
    Salute !
    Gary
    Thanks Gary. My pops is handicapped. He had a serious accident when he was younger which his right hand and leg are no longer funtioning properly. He has to kind of hold them straight, which ironicly makes it for a better picture. See you out there sometime, I will be sure to say hi.

...and thanks everyone for your comments. Happy holidays to you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipripper93561 View Post
    Dang the digital scale age...... nice units there.
    I'm not relating to the finite digital weight...just stating that when you have it by a body you get a cleaner idea of what category the fish is in..
    Plus it makes for a much nicer photo...thats it : )

I hope my point is not being misconstrued..not trying to dis the catch at all

Quote Originally Posted by gletemfeelsteelgary View Post
    I'm not relating to the finite digital weight...just stating that when you have it by a body you get a cleaner idea of what category the fish is in..
    Plus it makes for a much nicer photo...thats it : )

I hope my point is not being misconstrued..not trying to dis the catch at all
    No worries! It is just a fishing photo. =)

Default Lmb?

What about the largemouth bass? Are those biting alot at Castaic right now?

I can't wait any longer. I'll be there tomorrow and hoping to catch some nice one like that. Good work my friend and thanks for the report.

Heck of a day guys! Congrats!

I'm gonna get out there this weekend and give it a shot I think...

what size hook and what kind of bait is best if im going for stripers up in castaic

Quote Originally Posted by bassmaster5529 View Post
    What about the largemouth bass? Are those biting alot at Castaic right now?
    I have not caught any LMB as a by-catch while fishing for striper on lures lately, so I am assuming they are not as active. I dont target them, so I can not tell you for sure. But I been checking the west ramp for trout and bigger stripers and I see LMBs swimming underneath my boat. This is in the cove to the left of the west ramp. Really nice ones.

I tend to fish a little deeper, so I dont accidentally hook them. I have more fun with the stripers. =)

Quote Originally Posted by bassmaster5529 View Post
    what size hook and what kind of bait is best if im going for stripers up in castaic
    Sardines or anchovies is best. I use a 1/0, but just bumped it up to a 2/0 owner mosquito hook with a large chunk of sardine to get the bigger ones to bite. The schoolies still find a way to get onto the hook. =(
    Last edited by marzocchi; 12-18-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marzocchi View Post
    I have not caught any LMB as a by-catch while fishing for striper on lures lately, so I am assuming they are not as active. I dont target them, so I can not tell you for sure. But I been checking the west ramp for trout and bigger stripers and I see LMBs swimming underneath my boat. This is in the cove to the left of the west ramp. Really nice ones.

I tend to fish a little deeper, so I dont accidentally hook them. I have more fun with the stripers. =)

Sardines or anchovies is best. I use a 1/0, but just bumped it up to a 2/0 owner mosquito hook with a large chunk of sardine to get the bigger ones to bite. The schoolies still find a way a way to get onto the hook. =(
    Do you usually Carolina rig the cut bait? I'm going to try using a Hudd for the first time with my new swimbait setup, but if that isn't working out, I'm going to try the cut bait. If you could, PM me any extra info you can give me. I only manage to catch LMB in the upper lake, lol. I am still waiting to catch my first striper.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    Do you usually Carolina rig the cut bait? I'm going to try using a Hudd for the first time with my new swimbait setup, but if that isn't working out, I'm going to try the cut bait. If you could, PM me any extra info you can give me. I only manage to catch LMB in the upper lake, lol. I am still waiting to catch my first striper.
    Carolina rig. They are hanging hear the bottom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12