Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fire in Independance!

Does anyone know if the campgrounds up the hill are gone along with 7 pines. Did the hatchery survive so far. There isnt much news about this from anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie
    Unfortunatly, Big Pine's lodge burned down and a few of the boys I work with.....some of their friends houses way up high burned down :cry: Luckily, mostly everything is still intact.
    The Lodge burned down about 10 years ago. Did the cabins burn down in this fire? If so, I would be incredibly heartbroken. My family has been camping, fishing, hiking, etc. out of the Glacier Lodge area for four generations now. The owner may just be put out of business by this even if the cabins have not burned down.

Anyone with information?

Default Here's an update

Quoted from another website http://http://www.whitneyportalstore...ge/1#Post37770

"This was posted by the father of an Independence Volunteer firefighter on Bajanomad.com:

I found this report from my son, Phil on my computer this morning:
    Subject: RE: LATEST ON OWENS VALLEY FIRES

Hello:

I just got released for tonight. The fires are very bad and very fast and very hot. It is true that the Ashworth property has burned. The hatchery was saved by chemical drops along the west boundary of the hatchery, east boundary of Ashworth’s (two drops) from planes and the work of a lot of fire crews from multi agencies. The fire has not gone further down Oak Creek so far.

It is true that CDF and many others did everything they could. CDF lost a truck in by the main house (it is still there burned) and had to jump into the pond to save themselves. One or two were very badly burned (3rd degree) and flown out. I am told they did get Delores out. All buildings and all trees are burned down at the place. It is very shocking and sad to see what fire can do and how fast it can do it. I have talked to Jim Ashworth and JD on the phone and expect them both here tomorrow or Monday. I have gone up and looked at the place. Only the chimneys are standing and burned trees. It is very dangerous now as trees can fall over anytime and things are still burning. I very much regret having to tell everyone this news but I am here and have seen it. At the same time, the creeks are running and the place can be cleaned up and will grow again. It will take some work but it can be done.

This morning at about 4:30 a.m. the Ashworth property was fine and we had managed to save the cabins at Seven Pines. 8 mile ranch burned but the house and main out buildings were saved. Only by Gods grace and Dulce’s courage was she able to avoid the fire and she is fine. I found her about 3:30 a.m. standing in a corner of the lot I had her on with all the trees burned or burning around her. Many people had looked for her but no one could find her. She was by the creek up wind from the fire and she was not burned at all. Smart and very brave horse. It only took a second and I was able to put her halter on and walk her out through the fires. She was eating hay as soon as she found it while I was talking to people and she is in a safe place now. Praise God.

So far the town (Independence) is safe but wind can move the fire very quickly as it did today. The fire has come all the way down Independence Creek to the County campgrounds where it stopped. It burned out the town water station and we are required to boil water for now. There are major efforts to keep the fire from crossing Independence Creek and going South and East into town. Our Fire Department is pretty much left to protect town and Fort Independence now as the danger to most remote houses is over due to burning all around them that has created good fire breaks and many crews are here and in charge of brush fires.

We were called out today at about 2:00 p.m. and the fire that came down south fork of Oak Creek was at the Bright ranch (I am told their home was saved but not much else, I haven’t seen it yet). The fire showed no sign of moving then. We were called to put out a “hot spot� fire north of Fort Independence. I was at 8 mile ranch and drove by when the fire was about 20 feet in diameter. When the fire department got to the fire it was on both sides of the highway and moving North fast over a large area. Another fire fighter and I were fighting a fire by the road side on the highway and had to jump in the truck and drive away with all lines out still as the fire came up both sides of the road and began to burn by and surround our truck and the Fire chief in his truck. The fire has easily jumped the highway several times now. Even with a full powered 1 ½ inch line blasting water, I could not slow or even reduce the fire. This is just an example of how this fire can and does move. We have all been careful but this is a scary fire.

By 5:00 P.M. or so everything down to the Hatchery had burned. The Oak Creek camp ground burned last night. I do recall looking up as I was driving by and seeing the line of fire from the base of the Sierras to South Fork Creek coming down the hill very fast. They had widened the fire break at the road but with the hot fast wind, spot fires start everywhere, even miles away and with dry brush the spot fires grow and move very fast. It only takes one spark in the trees to get things going and water becomes like gasoline, or so it seems. It is very dry here and there was very little water this winter. The fire just came down the hill from the Bright Ranch in a long line and went right through the place.

Tomorrow or tonight the fire could move again. While much of the valley and mountains have burned there is still a lot of fuel (brush & trees) and places for the fire to go. If a house in town caught fire it would spread very quickly in the heat and wind and could burn much of the town very fast. There is still a lot of fire burning and hot spots all around. Fortunately, places that have burned have burned so hot that there is nothing left but ash and this provides solid fire breaks. We all have a good idea where the burned areas are and where the vulnerabilities continue to exist. God willing this is over and the fire will burn out on its own. We do have huge firefighting resources here now including multiple helicopters and airplanes. They are very effective and there are hundreds of crew members working. Our fire Department is getting some sleep for now. Me too."

That Death Valley net blog is a GREAT source of information. The gentleman lives right at the end of Crocker as you head up in to the canyon. I posted a request for info from him and will let you guys know what I hear. I know some of you enjoy the Big Pine/Palisades Glacier area.

Carrie, keep us posted about Independence. I'm really concerned about that area as well, of course.

Default Check Death Valley.net

Scott:

David has had an active couple of days - but you should check the website over at death-valley.net...

He has posted a response for you!

GW, thanks for letting me know. He says that it appears that Glacier Lodge and the campgrounds were not threatened. Huge relief!

Very sorry to hear about all the fire and the damage it leaves behind in it's wake. Glad to hear that things seem to be calming down. Hope, Carrie, that you are able to get back to your job and things will get a sense of normal again. Keep us posted.

Sorry to hear about the widespead damage caused by the fire. Even more saddened to hear two FF were severly burned. My thoughts and prayers to them and their families.

FFF

Well last night’s meeting in Independence was interesting. All of the DWP, Fire Crews and even the governor was there. They gave us a heads up of the fire. It was 77% contained and several firefighters were injured and sent to the hospital. Total personnel used was 1,164. Many of them were volunteers!

Here is a GPS map created of how big the fire actually was:

The meeting:

The town of course was upset. Our water supply is damaged for right now so we have to go get water behind the court house or Owens Valley School. They are bringing in a water system from Bakersfield until the town gets the $ and resources to fix the reservoir for Independence. Luckily I came home today and there was a huge box of water in my front yard.

BUT….today I was working at the Whitney Portal with the Inyo National Forest rangers. I was using one of their radios:

And as luck would have it after listening in I found out that there is now, since this morning, a fire up by June Lakes Loop. Soooo….the 395 is once again shut down. It was from dry lightening again…and this is forecasted to go on for awhile. It rained on us today at Whitney so the weather has been interesting. It def. pays to work with the Forest Rangers. They give valuable info.

As far as what everyone is asking about Indy....it has calmed down here! The fire fighters are all north now! The fish hatchery and Eastern Cali Museum are still standing. The museum is shut down and the artifacts were shipped out so now they have to bring it all back! Everything is still here luckily! I am so thankful that we are all safe and that everyone is still here! U guys would not believe the stories I heard from the boys I work with or my co-workers at Manzanar. Some of these people went through A LOT! The family that lost their house was at the meeting. The woman was in tears and I just hugged her even tho I barely knew her. They pretty much lost their whole house!!

The fire fighters that jumped into the water at the fish hatchery were burned but luckily still alive. What craziness this all is!! I will keep u guys posted about any more info I find out but coming up here for fishing right now might be tough. It is kind of chaotic!

Default Thanks Carrie for the update. Here's a great link for more

information. This gentleman has been kind enough to keep us strangers posted on developments. He drove up into Big Pine Canyon yesterday and took pictures.

http://www.death-valley.net/forum/viewt ... aaa31be815

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast