Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire in Independance!

Default Re: Check out these links

Quote Originally Posted by gwjones00

395 is closed at the Kern/Inyo line up to Big Pine. Mandatory evacuations in Independence....

Hope everyone is okay!
    Some of my friends from Indy just called me along with the boys. There are evacuation shelters in Lone Pine. Many of my friends r sitting by the LA Aqueduct off Mazurka Canyon. There are around 23 cars chillin out there in the desert cuz they don't want to leave their place. :cry:

I am supposed to go back to my house tomorrow so don't know if I can now. Will see how all this pans out! I guess they were trying to save the Mt Whitney Fish Hatchery and the Eastern Cali Museum. I hope it all ends okay....

Default More information

Follow this link to read from someone in Big Pine...

http://http://www.death-valley.net/f...698&highlight=

by when does anybody think or know the 395 is going to be open

This really makes me sick!!! I have been going to independence since I was like 8 months old like 5 times a year and hearing that it is on fire is a real bummer. Its like my home away from home, I know every nook and crany of the place. I just cant even belive this. And the Mt. Whitney fish hachery might be in danger really hits a soft spot. O man this is a realy bad deal. If that fire hits the Owens its a lost match for those F.F. Id really hate to think about the feilds around the town to. My thoughts and prayers out to all involved. Keep us posted.

Bryson

I will post an update on here tomorrow since I have to drive back up to Indy to go to work on Monday. Everyone was able to go back to their homes in Indy but not too sure if the 395 is open yet. The guys told me it isn't but should be tomorrow. I will find out soon enough!

Hi Vance,

That is the same link I would suggest.

Last update was over 37,000 acres.

Lots of resources being sent there from Southern California.

Best of luck to everyone there.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by vancej
    Pete. Hi Heres a good site to get updates on the Inyo Complex http://www.inciweb.org/incident/767/
    395 is now open but the road was burned in some spots and is kinda rough.
    Thanks for the update.
    Vance

Well going home to Indy today was interesting. The 395 is open but there are a bunch of warning signs for crossing fire trucks and smoke. There is A LOT of smoke up here. When I got home there were some notes at my door. One was a warning to drink bottled water or boil my tap water. Apparently, the Independence town water system reservoir roof collapsed from the fire so out of precautions we have to drink bottled water so that we don’t get stomach or intestinal illness until they fix it.

When I got home there were a bunch of fire trucks all over and people’s stuff was strewn all over their yards.…most likely from evacuatin the other day. Everything is fine now and none of the historical buildings burned down. From my house I can still see in the mtns how high up the fire is but at least no where close to here now. Hopefully they put it out soon!

Here is a view from across the street by where I live:

Looking up tonight towards the mtns I can still see flames high above Indy but they are getting it out....lucliky.

Glad to hear you were able to make it back up there and that everyone in Independence got back to their homes without any damage. I'm sure it'll take them awhile to get it completely contained but it sounds like they're making progress.

Unfortunately, there appears to be more t-storms forecast this week.

I've been up there during lightning storms and I've seen small fires started in the hills just below Sage Flats (Big Pine). The firefighters usually put them right out but not this time.

BTW, I believe that other than CDF fire crews in the area, Bishop and Big Pine have volunteer fire departments. They do a great job up there and they keep pretty busy with fires started by lightning this time of year.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Yeah this place is going back to normal now.... :D There are several volunteer fire depts up here actually. There were fire fighters up here fighting the fires from Riverside, Ontario, Colton, etc. (much of southern Cali).

Unfortunatly, Big Pine's lodge burned down and a few of the boys I work with.....some of their friends houses way up high burned down :cry: Luckily, mostly everything is still intact.

I have to go to a town meeting tonight for the town of Indy to figure out what to do about our water....fun times!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast