Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Strangest Way You Caught a Fish

Default crazy fish

TROLLING AT DVL GET A HIT ON ONE OF THE DOWNRIGGERS SLOWED THE BOAT DOWN AND FOUGHT THE FISH ,STOPPED THE BOAT FOR THE LAST PART OF THE FIGHT, WHILE TAKING PICTURES OF THE BIG HOLDOVER ME AND MY PAL SAW A HUGE HOLDOVER GOING FLYING THRU THE AIR MAKING SOME CRAZY FLYING ACROBATS IN THE AIR, WE WERE ALL ECITED THINKING WERE WE REALLY ON THE SCHOOL NOW.AS WE STARTED MOVING AGAIN AFTER RELAEASING THE BIG TROUT,I RELIZED THE SETUP HAD BEEN PULLED OUT OF THE RELEASE CLIP AND WAS PEELING DRAG, IT ENDED UP BEING THE FISH WE JUMPING IN THE DISTANCE AWAY FROM THE BOAT IT WAS ALMOST TWICE AS BIG AS THE FIRST ONE. THE FUNNIEST THING WAS IN THE PICS WHILE IM HOLDING THE ONE FISH YOU COULD SEE THE OTHER ONE IN THE BACK GROUND FLYING THRU THE AIR, IVE GOT SO MANY CRAZY STORIES I SHOULD WRIGHT A BOOK,,,,,,,,,,,t/o

Default Two fer

Was fishing the Southwest Hole out of Trinidad (NorCal) with a great rockfisher from Shasta Lake City,Don Brown. We were after bottom fish with shrimp flies tipped with squid and catching mainly some nice blacks.
    I get one with a lot more pull and figure it's a nice ling and work the 32 incher up to the surface. Just as Don is ready to scoop with the net,I see color below my fish and yell wait. I sort of wiggled the ling at the surface for a second and an identical one comes up to take a bite and Don scoops both of them. That was a tasty double to bring up from 90 feet.

Default Didn't catch it but....

When I was a kid I had a foreign coin that had a hole in the middle.
    I put it on a bare hook and pulled it through the water on a cane pole with very light line to see it turning. Suddenly this huge bass exploded on it, but it broke my line right away.

It was a great experience which I never forgot and actually still can picture it!

In playa del carmen id stand on the shore in water about knee high. My gf would throw hotdog buns just in front of me and id flick fish to the shore!

My sons wierdest catch just happened about 2 months ago at jess raanch. We were fishing in a group of people and one of the guys line snapped as he was casting. My kid saw the snapped line floating and pulled it in. About 10 feet from shore he felt a pull and there was a trout on it!

The second trip of september this year to San Quintin had some strange moments.

On one of the days we were off of San Martin Island in a panga with some old friends. At the end of the day the guys got tired of yellowtailing, and wanted some sheephead and cod. We went to a dropoff that is right off San Martin Island by maybe 200 yards, and had our squid strips ready. I dropped down maybe 150 ft with a 8 oz. plain leadhead and a bunch of squid strips on it....bounced it a couple times, and ZZZZZZZZ! Brought up a yellowtail!

Dropped down again, same thing! ha ha!! Everyone was laughing and the pangero got on the radio to tell the rest of the fleet what the "pinche chino" did... After a few more drops, I ended up catching my largest sheephead ever which I posted up here.

On that same trip, one of my friends who is completely new to fishing, managed one of his usual pathetically hilarious casts (on an Avet), and flung a big Kroc, literally just feet from the panga (we momentarily had stopped to clear seaweed off the live macs we were trolling off of El Pabellon area). He started screaming he had a fish. We ignored him (cause that was par for the course anytime he had any type of fish on). Within seconds the fish was thrashing by the boat and the pangero started shouting....low and behold it was a good looking WSB! The only one that was succesfully landed that trip!!

Well, it's all good, as they say -- as long as you're catching something, that is. I checked the regs and it doesn't say anything about there being illegal ways to land a fish, as long as it voluntarily bites. I have to wonder about the lingcod biting on the tail of another lingcod, but perhaps it got what it deserved for its act of cannibalism.

I guess if we fish enough, we all end up catching fish in strange ways.

That reminds me, another strange catch of mine is that I have caught several large Bullhead Catfish at Lake Gregory on Crappie Jigs while fishing for Crappie. One time, the catfish were spawning, I think, in Catfish Cove, when I caught several of them on the jig, but no Crappie. I have heard of Channel Catfish being caught on lures occasionally, but not Bullheads other than these. Apparently, they encountered my jig and it felt like food, so they inhaled it.

best thread ever

When the Castaic pier had Bluegill all around it when it was hot I dropped a red hook down a couple of times to see if it would work with no bait and caught 2 or 3.

I caught a mackerel out in the gap between Anacapa and Santa Cruz Islands. It had spit my hook out it's gill and was lassoed. not hooked. On the next cast I caught another one, it had grabbed my sinker spit it out it's gill and was also lassoed. On the next cast I didn't put any bait on and caught another one on a bare hook, this one was actually hooked though.

In Wisconsin my brother in law told me that the carp in the lake in his back yard were eating cottonwood fluff and he was using big white flies that looked like cottonwood fluff to catch them. I didn't buy into it at first but he proceeded to catch them on the big fluffy fly. I watched the fish and they were eating the cottonwood fluff.

I was fishing the stream up in the sierras with a kastmaster, i good sized trout went for my lure but turned away. ended up catching him through the loop of an old leader that was hanging out of his mouth!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast