Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout rods

Default Trout rods

I'm looking for a good trout rod that can fish drop shot set ups. Price really isn't an issue I'll pay for whatever I need. I generally fish all Shimano gear and usually 4 pound test. I'm leaning towards the G-loomis or St. Croix............1-piece or 2? About a 7-footer? I know quite a bit about fishing just don't get to fish nearly enough to try out all the different rods out there. Everyones' help is appreciated!

pick up a phenix. 7' one peice.

sick dshot stick

Default Phenix

Quote Originally Posted by samgann93 View Post
    pick up a phenix. 7' one peice.

sick dshot stick
    FX-701 7 footer, 1-piece with a line rating of 1-6 pounds for $179.00ish?

I'll second the Phenix recommendation, but I'd bump the length up to 7'6". Phenix FX-761, 1 piece rod. It's the same action as the 7', but I prefer the extra length because I feel it gives you a little bit better action while mini-jigging. Either way, they are both killer trout rods.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunker1979 View Post
    FX-701 7 footer, 1-piece with a line rating of 1-6 pounds for $179.00ish?
    yes. its a sick rod for dshot and split shot. im gonna pick one up pretty soon. if you wanna longer rod the 7'6" is also great. make sure you get the one peice. it helps when you dshotting and splitshotting.

just get a spinmatic for 40 bones lol. thats what i use and ive been killing it at a local park. caught my first d/s trout today.... with about 9 other fish on the d/s.

Dont' get caught up in the hype of one piece vs two piece. Some of the best fly rods in the world are 3-4 pieces and cost upwards of $1000.00.

That being said if you're looking for a true drop shot rod I would say go with the 7 footer so you have more back bone for throwing the led. If you are looking for a rod that can do both and not a true drop shot rod then I would recommend getting anything 7' and above. The phoenix rods are nice and I love the blanks but they become so much better when custom wrapped. I have fished them off of the rack and I wasn't real happy. The guides are heavy and the handles are not what I like but that is my personal preference. With the guides being heavy it changes the action of the rod also. You can completely lighten up that rod by custom wrapping it and fishing one next to the other will be night and day. I recommend titanium guides for two reasons. #1 is because they are lighter then any other guides and can be up to 70% lighter then some guides. #2 is because they don't rust or corrode. These guides will last forever. I also use pure cork handles without reel seats. They have the plastic sleeves that slide over the feet of your reel and hold just fine. This alone lightens your rod tons. The lighter your rod the more sensitive it is and the more casts you are able to make at the end of the day because you are simply not as fatigued. Really you need to pull on the blanks of different manufacturers and see what fits you the best. You already have an idea of what you're looking for so spend your money wisely and invest in something that works the best for you. I have a few rods that are nice drop shot rods and I have some rods that are tweeners. If you would like to fish with them and see if you like any PM me. I am not a rod wrapper but I can recommend 2 top notch guys that would do you a great service. I am not affiliated with either one and get nothing out of this but the satisfaction of helping someone get a top notch rod.

buy a good rod like a g loomis IMX 7' IT WILL LAST YOU A LIFE TIME.

Quote Originally Posted by gutierrez View Post
    buy a good rod like a g loomis IMX 7' IT WILL LAST YOU A LIFE TIME.
    this is an awesome rod! i would go with this or a phenix with same specs

If money is not an issue, I would say get a nice blank and get it wrapped. Nothing beats a custom wrap. Gloomis has stopped making blanks so now would be the time to get one wrapped if youre leaning towards a loomis. Pretty soon you wont be able to find em.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast