Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leopard at MDR

Default Leopard at MDR

Girlfriend wanted to watch the fireworks from the boat. Soo.... launched out of MDR at 3pm on the 4th. Hooked up to this 5ft leopard shark.After releasing this 5ft Leopard,Hooked up to something big, Got over confident in my 30lb setup. Broke off :evil:
    Never heard any reports of catching/eating Leopard sharks so I released it. Noticed in the DFG book that people fish for Leopards. Min 3ft fish/ 3fish per angler.
    Are these things good eating?

I never thought of eating them but these guys have

http://www.fishsniffer.com/recipes/shark3.html

The recipe w/oyster sauce sounds really good !!!

Nice leo! I have always been into salt water aquariums and once upon a time, I would go out and fish for them to bring home.. Eventually they would get to big and have to be released. I had a big (5') green moray eel named "Gorby" because of a spot on his head (like the old russian president). One day I was sitting on the couch next to the tank which at the time was 240 gallons, when all of sudden I hear this loud boom and the house shook... I thought somone crashed a car into the house and then I noticed the water sloshing and an ominous red color to the water. Gorby decided to attack my favorite Leo.. I had him for years and he bit him in half.. This shark was well over 3' and when the eel him him, the concussion from it was enough to rattle the entire house and split and fat and happy leo right in half! :shock:

The funny thing was that gorby was really a nice eel. He loved to have his chin rubbed and would let me take him out of the tank by hand.. My friend thought I was crazy until one faithful drunken birthday I decided to swim in my fish tank.. With a 5' geen morray eel, a pair of white tip reef sharks and a horned shark. Then they knew I was crazy!! Mask and all and nobody in the tank bothered me!

Sorry for the rant! Your picture brought back memories of Leos from the past. I could never imagine eating one. They are really cool sharks!
    Thanks for the pics and post!

Quote Originally Posted by slief
    Nice leo! I have always been into salt water aquariums and once upon a time, I would go out and fish for them to bring home.. Eventually they would get to big and have to be released. I had a big (5') green moray eel named "Gorby" because of a spot on his head (like the old russian president). One day I was sitting on the couch next to the tank which at the time was 240 gallons, when all of sudden I hear this loud boom and the house shook... I thought somone crashed a car into the house and then I noticed the water sloshing and an ominous red color to the water. Gorby decided to attack my favorite Leo.. I had him for years and he bit him in half.. This shark was well over 3' and when the eel him him, the concussion from it was enough to rattle the entire house and split and fat and happy leo right in half! :shock:

The funny thing was that gorby was really a nice eel. He loved to have his chin rubbed and would let me take him out of the tank by hand.. My friend thought I was crazy until one faithful drunken birthday I decided to swim in my fish tank.. With a 5' geen morray eel, a pair of white tip reef sharks and a horned shark. Then they knew I was crazy!! Mask and all and nobody in the tank bothered me!

Sorry for the rant! Your picture brought back memories of Leos from the past. I could never imagine eating one. They are really cool sharks!
    Thanks for the pics and post!
    How funny :lol: I guess when your hungry,Your hungry. And when a 5' moray gets hungry, He gets a bit cranky too :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidE
    I never thought of eating them but these guys have

http://www.fishsniffer.com/recipes/shark3.html

The recipe w/oyster sauce sounds really good !!!
    That recipe does look really good. I'll save it for another type of fish.

Thanks, Jerry

I'D LIKE TO SEE A PIC OF THAT 240 GALLON AQUARIUM THAT YOU CAN SWIM IN&#46; You must be really small&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;cause i cant even swim in my kids 600 gal pool&#46;
    pics pics pics &#58;)

Quote Originally Posted by fishfinder
    I'D LIKE TO SEE A PIC OF THAT 240 GALLON AQUARIUM THAT YOU CAN SWIM IN&#46; You must be really small&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;cause i cant even swim in my kids 600 gal pool&#46;
    pics pics pics &#58;)
    240 gallons on is too small to swim in&#46;&#46;&#46; period!

Quote Originally Posted by xahx
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfinder
    pics pics pics &#58;)
    240 gallons on is too small to swim in&#46;&#46;&#46; period!
    yea i think i smell a fish story here

Leopard sharks are EXCELLENT eating&#46; Some have said they taste like salmon, but I think they are much milder&#46; They grill into flakey, bright white morsels&#46;

They are beautiful fish, so I've only killed one &#58;(

Leopard sharks are EXCELLENT eating&#46; Some have said they taste like salmon, but I think they are much milder&#46; They grill into flakey, bright white morsels&#46;

They are beautiful fish, so I've only killed one &#58;(

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast