Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1000 size reel. suggestions?

Check out Longfin! They have a good selection of 1000 size reels. The Pinnacle you'd have to buy online.

thanx for the suggestion wes. btw nice fish i seen ur pics from corona.

I also vote for the stradic mgfb... Its an awesome reel for that price. Get it while you can. I think it would blow away any of the other suggested reels.... It would also go great with a Phenix Elixir rod...

with $100 buy your self 3 sienna's. bin using the same sienna 2500 since 5 years never had it serviced! i used it for trout, striper, and catfish and it works fine still.

Quote Originally Posted by NoHo ART View Post
    with $100 buy your self 3 sienna's. bin using the same sienna 2500 since 5 years never had it serviced! i used it for trout, striper, and catfish and it works fine still.
    My brother has one of the new Siennas and it looks really awesome! It is a great deal. I think it performs better than some of the more expensive reels that other companies make!

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    Save $10 somewhere and get the Stradic man! Definitely a killer reel, and that is a bargain price. You get a spare spool with it, and you don't with the Symetre. Symetres are very good too though for the money. Either of those can easily handle a big trout, so just pick up what works for you.
    No extra spool with the Symetre 1000? The 750 model does, wierd...I love that reel so much I bought four of them and have not had a single complaint yet. The fact Shimano stands behind their product has me a customer for life.

TD

Not on all the new Shimanos TD. It's a real bummer that you have to bump up to the Saros line and up now to get them.

I've carried Shimano Sahara and Sedonas at my shop the last four years but over the last year and half or so there has been an extremely high percentage of them that have had problems right out of the box. I've heard this from other retail outfits as well. I used to be a huge Shimano guy but having personally had two of the last four that I bought for myself fail on me - I have some serious doubts about their current quality. I'm not buying those models any more, or carrying them in my shop....it's a huge hassle to deal with it and I don't like hassles.

I did pick up a Daiwa Exceler 1500 about a month ago and I've fished it hard - best spinning reel I've had (for the modest price tag) in years....I realize that its not a 1000 but dang its a good deal and would fish 4lb string fine.

I have a Quantum Catalyst 10 that has held up great over the last 18 months...another good option for a reasonable price. Its more like the 750 series Shimano reels though...perfect for trout. I like it a lot better than the Sedonas or Saharas that I've owned.

Just my opinion based on my experiences over the past year or so....

peace,
    smitty
    Last edited by Sierra_Smitty; 12-07-2009 at 09:11 PM.

thanks smitty. your advice shows great influence.

The Saros on ebay is less than $100. Spare spool, one year warranty, many features of higher end reels, durable, smooth, and powerful. Love them. Preached this reel many times before and will once again.

A much cheaper, lower performance alternative is the Sienna. It was one of my first spinning reels and continues to be smooth. Mine is the old model and I beat the crap out of it. Four years and not one single service lol. Just rinse with freshwater and let it dry lol. Great for $35, plus Shimano just came out with a newer, supposedly better model. Great choice for budget anglers.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast