Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Swimbait and topwater rod/reel recommendations

Default Swimbait and topwater rod/reel recommendations

I'd really like to get away with one rod/reel if possible to use for both topwater lures for stripers/bass boils and also throwing swimbaits.

I'm mostly looking to fish DVL, Skinner, Castaic, Casitas and the duct.

Can this be done? Or are the line recommendations for each application too different?

Looking at the Shimano Curados or Calcutta and Shimano Clarus rods.

Any suggestions on a combination that could handle both types of fishing? Or am I asking for too much?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Agro; 12-04-2009 at 12:38 PM.

The terms are not specific enough unfortunately to elicit a response.

Swimbaits come in all shapes and sizes. You can throw 2 inch swimbaits, and you can throw 10 inch swimbaits. You can throw the small swimmies on 4# line and you can throw the 10 inch baits on 25#.

Same thing goes for topwater baits.

If ur wanting to throw something like the Lunker Punker and a Huddleston on the same combo, it is definitley doable. I use a Dobyns 806 for both and find it works fine for both baits.

Those would probably be the baits i would be looking to throw. Maybe some spooks and the hudd.

What line class would you recommend?

a 7'6" Shimano Crucial MH XF(7'6" G.Loomis MH XF Small Swimbait Rod) and a Shimano Curado 300E(Abu Garcia Revo Toro) with 25-30lb braid would be a great setup for smaller swimbaits and any topwater lure, as well as duct baits.... You'd get away with 3" hudds or so,,, but that's as all-around as u can get.... I'm a shimano guy but the loomis is almost exactly like the crucial,,,good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Agro View Post
    Those would probably be the baits i would be looking to throw. Maybe some spooks and the hudd.

What line class would you recommend?
    If you're gonna throw a topwater and swimbait on the same rig, that limits your choices to a monofilament. I normally will throw the Hudd on fluoro, and the Punker on mono, but since flouro sinks, it may affect the action on any topwater bait if you decide to use it.

I'd recommend #20 for both applications, #25 if you feel you need the added strength. I'm a fan of Big Game, and Izorline.