Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Castaic Lagoon 11/29 - Fishing with Butch!

Default Nice Catch Guys!!!

Butch knows the hot spots that's for sure...and the right lures. I hope you can take what you've learned and build on it when you are shore fishing. Great pictures...I've seen Butch use that stringer to show off his many other catches. Makes me want to fishing real soon.

Congrats on the catches and personal best, that was cool of Butch ta take you 2 out, hats off to him if he reads this (salute !)

If I may give you a little food for thought, not that the lures that were used aren't important, they certainly are but what you may want to be sure to put your focus on if you want to take any pc of longstanding info from your outing is:

what pattern the fish were in at that time and the condition that drove the fish into those patterns.

My guess is that you probably hit suspending fish in the thermocline but thats purely speculative of what conditions should be apparent in that lake right now.

Once you can learn to read the lake, it will lead to you being able to catch a liot of fish regularly in many different paternings.

anyway, enough technical jargon..

nice job and again congrats !
    Gary

Oh yeah...P.S.

Photo shop ???? what the heck is that guy thinkin' (scratches head !)
    Last edited by gletemfeelsteelgary; 11-30-2009 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gletemfeelsteelgary View Post
    Congrats on the catches and personal best, that was cool of Butch ta take you 2 out, hats off to him if he reads this (salute !)

If I may give you a little food for thought, not that the lures that were used aren't important, they certainly are but what you may want to be sure to put your focus on if you want to take any pc of longstanding info from your outing is:

what pattern the fish were in at that time and the condition that drove the fish into those patterns.

My guess is that you probably hit suspending fish in the thermocline but thats purely speculative of what conditions should be apparent in that lake right now.

Once you can learn to read the lake, it will lead to you being able to catch a liot of fish regularly in many different paternings.

anyway, enough technical jargon..

nice job and again congrats !
    Gary

Oh yeah...P.S.

Photo shop ???? what the heck is that guy thinkin' (scratches head !)
    The fish that we caught were mostly hugging the bottom. I'm guessing they were there because there is more oxygen down there. All I know is that they head deep in the Winter and Summer, lol. I'm not too good at figuring out patterns yet. Thanks Gary!

Patterns for shore fishermen are especially hard to piece together. On a boat, electronics help a lot with pinpointing specifics. Your lure tells you a lot too. Just some questions to ask yourself are, what's the water temperature, what's the bottom composition like, did I get bit hopping the bait across the bottom or did I get hit on a slow drag, was I bit on the fall, when the bait was sitting still, or when the bait was moving?

Most of bass fishing is figuring out the spot within the spot concept. For example, say you are slow dragging a jig along the sides of a point and you get bit. Right before you got bit, you noticed that the bottom changed from chunk rock to sand. Being a smart angler, you start focusing on the structure change along the sides of the point at the depth where you got bit. You don't get another bite though, and wonder what happened. Thinking back, you remember that you pulled a strand of aquatic plant life off your jig when you were unhooking the bass. Then you start focusing on aquatic weed beds off points right next to a transition change from chunk rock to sand and the bass start coming into the boat.

Very rarely will you be able to dial in on a pattern with the very first fish you catch lie in the example, but after 2 or 3 you should be starting to have an idea. In reality, you'd have to try a few different types of lures and take water conditions into account too like clarity, temperature, and current before you got your first bite. Dragging a black and blue jig on the bottom when bass are boiling on shad probably isn't the best idea. The bass can sometimes tell you what lure to use too. If they have red gums and ground down teeth then they've been eating crayfish, and if their teeth are still noticeable and there's no red then they've been eating a lot of shad or other baitfish. Seeing bass attack bluegills or each other is a good hint too.

Hope this helps a it, and keep in mind what I wrote is a very simplified version of reading conditions and patterning bass. You can find an endless amount of information in magazines, online, books, and sometimes videos that all try to decipher the habits of the glorified, gigantic sunfish we call largemouth bass.

atta boy, nice job out there... nice to see there are more kid fishermen on the boards,

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    Patterns for shore fishermen are especially hard to piece together. On a boat, electronics help a lot with pinpointing specifics. Your lure tells you a lot too. Just some questions to ask yourself are, what's the water temperature, what's the bottom composition like, did I get bit hopping the bait across the bottom or did I get hit on a slow drag, was I bit on the fall, when the bait was sitting still, or when the bait was moving?

Most of bass fishing is figuring out the spot within the spot concept. For example, say you are slow dragging a jig along the sides of a point and you get bit. Right before you got bit, you noticed that the bottom changed from chunk rock to sand. Being a smart angler, you start focusing on the structure change along the sides of the point at the depth where you got bit. You don't get another bite though, and wonder what happened. Thinking back, you remember that you pulled a strand of aquatic plant life off your jig when you were unhooking the bass. Then you start focusing on aquatic weed beds off points right next to a transition change from chunk rock to sand and the bass start coming into the boat.

Very rarely will you be able to dial in on a pattern with the very first fish you catch lie in the example, but after 2 or 3 you should be starting to have an idea. In reality, you'd have to try a few different types of lures and take water conditions into account too like clarity, temperature, and current before you got your first bite. Dragging a black and blue jig on the bottom when bass are boiling on shad probably isn't the best idea. The bass can sometimes tell you what lure to use too. If they have red gums and ground down teeth then they've been eating crayfish, and if their teeth are still noticeable and there's no red then they've been eating a lot of shad or other baitfish. Seeing bass attack bluegills or each other is a good hint too.

Hope this helps a it, and keep in mind what I wrote is a very simplified version of reading conditions and patterning bass. You can find an endless amount of information in magazines, online, books, and sometimes videos that all try to decipher the habits of the glorified, gigantic sunfish we call largemouth bass.
    Hopefully I won't have to do much shore fishing anymore, now that I have a tube for the lagoon and then boat for the upper lake. I just need some waders and I'm set. I only noticed one fish with red gums. I was wondering what that was from. Aren't crawfish more of a spring time snack?

Quote Originally Posted by pasadenafishin View Post
    atta boy, nice job out there... nice to see there are more kid fishermen on the boards,
    Thanks. There aren't too many kids on here, lol.

Default photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBASS MB View Post
    Don't mean to start nothin' but, looks like photoshop to me...
    The only picture I've seen in this thread thats photoshop is your Avatar...

Fireball nice job on the fish, Butch is the Man.

Quote Originally Posted by SDDave View Post
    The only picture I've seen in this thread thats photoshop is your Avatar...

Fireball nice job on the fish, Butch is the Man.
    Thanks. Didn't you go to the Lagoon this weekend? How did you do?

Default trout plant

Nope, ended up doing HoneyDo's Fish late tonight at the west ramp, going to hit the lake tomorrow, trout plant today at the westramp, the striper went nuts right after the truck dumped the fish, gonna try again in the am.

nice day you had there, good job..

But on a side note, what was the idea behind stringing them up and then releasing them? Some didn't look legal and to keep the shorts in a livewell is illegal. Also to have them and over your limit is illegal.

Just letting ya know incase dfg hits you up..

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast