Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: looking for a trout jig rod

yeah im not sure about it either. i like graphite rods more than glass. if i had $200 liteliner i might try one lol.

Get a Shimano Compre. There are a bit over $100, but you get a lifetime waranty. The light action 7'6' and 8'6" models work really well for jigging and worming. Very sensetive rods. Great resale value as well.

The Phoenix rods are a thing of beauty, not sure on the waranty for those rods, but they sure are prety and nice in your hand as well.

Good luck with whatevery you decide to go with. Slay those DFG stockers!

Default rod builder

I make fishing poles PM me and xmas will be good to you

I own many a Kencor trout rod. Great rod IMHO. I like a glass rod.

The Kencor Zebra rods were glass wraped with graphite . I have one of them too.

The Shimano rods Are great too.

As for the Phoenix rods they are great fishing rods. I have seen many of them and wished I owned a few.

VG , I am sure you will find what works for you in time . Good luck and lets go trout fishing soon.

i picked up a diawa spinmatic for not. cant beat 43.50 otd. im talkin with a friend right now about a custom rod but hes not sure on the price untill hes done. so i gota wait lol.

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagurilla View Post
    i picked up a diawa spinmatic for not. cant beat 43.50 otd. im talkin with a friend right now about a custom rod but hes not sure on the price untill hes done. so i gota wait lol.
    Ask him to build it on the MHX blank that TDG recommended or a Rainshadow. Both are budget based, but with great performance.

yeah i talked to him the other day and he get some specail fly rod blanks that are hard to come by i guess. i used his rod and it was nice. rod dose all the tip action for you. ive had the spinmatic for 2 days and already got about 15 fish on it. its nice but u gota work the jig a little more than with a longer softer tip but for 43 bucks its nice. im gona pick up 2 shorter ones for bait rods.

Hard to find but the Daiwa Spinmatic Tuflite is probably the best rod I've ever fished that was under $100. Only problem is the tips break - a lot(I've been through 5 of 'em). Keep your receipt though and it's no biggie..they almost always break within a year and you just get a new one. The regular spinmatics aren't bad either for the price.

My current rod of choice is a Fenwick HMX 7'6" rated 2-8lb test. I have three of them right now - great rods and durable. A bit more stiff than some of the others out there but once you get used to it, they're freeking awesome. My distributor just informed me that they just discontinued them but if you can find one - get it. They're right about $100 retail and worth every penny.

Shimano Compres are great too - had the 7'6" model- something didn't fit me right so I sold it but it was a great rod and my buddy who owns it now really likes it. As others have mentioned, exceptional warranty.

Bass Pro shops had a 7'6" ultra light rod last time I was down there that ran about $50 - would have bought it if I was in the market for a rod - very solid. A friend let me fish his last summer and it was great for the price.

Unless you're swimming in money - the ultra high dollar rods just aren't worth it IMO. Felt or fished 'em all and I just haven't seen a sufficient increase in performance to justify that much dough.

i hear you on the $$$ part smitty. i just like how easy it is to mini jig with the custom 8'6" rods. you dont need to do much work and seeing as i use mini jigs all day, endurance plays a roll. i used to use a 6' rod but its just too much wrist movement and my forearm starts to "pump" and gets sore.

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagurilla View Post
    i hear you on the $$$ part smitty. i just like how easy it is to mini jig with the custom 8'6" rods. you dont need to do much work and seeing as i use mini jigs all day, endurance plays a roll. i used to use a 6' rod but its just too much wrist movement and my forearm starts to "pump" and gets sore.
    Got ya - custom rods are sweet - no doubt about it. One of my guests gave me an 8' jig rod as a gift - thing was SWEEET! Couldn't afford it if it wasn't a gift though. Still though, 7'6" is my preferred length..long enough to toss a 1/32oz jig but not so long that you can't fish a creek with it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast