Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Baitcasting Problems

Default Baitcasting Problems

I have an Abu Garcia Black Max reel and then a Shimano Solara rod, my brother has an Abu Garcia Silver Max reel and Shakespeare Agility rod and he also has a Daiwa Megaforce reel and Daiwa Triforce rod.

The problem is, I can't cast very far with my baitcasting setup and I don't know if I has to do with the reel or the rod. Could my cheap rod be effecting my casting? I was trying my brother's Silver Max and Agility combo and I could cast a lot further with that and it seemed to work a lot better for me. Then I tried his Megaforce and Triforce combo and it seemed to feel like my setup. His Silver Max is old and beat up, so I don't know if the reels have to be broken in or what, lol. I might try switching around the reels and rods to see if his reel is just better or my rod is just bad.

The main thing is, yes I know I need a new rod (my current one sucks), but do I also need a better reel? Any recommendations for a decent, cheap baitcasting rod?

I see from your other posts your young (17) so dont know how much you have used or are familiar with baitcasters, so will ask a few questions..

Have you played with the Spool control knob? (silver knob under handle) if so that can affect tension on the spool, slow it down to a stop..

Also the brake system (Im not familiar with DragMax) probably on left side.
    You can adjust that (maybe??)...

Also on that reel, does the level wind turn when its in freespool??

If the adjustments are loose, then it may be grease in the spool bearings & level wind (instead of light oil).. If that is the case, it will have to be taken apart, degreased and proper oil put in the bearings...

It should cast fine with 3/8 oz weight or more????

The Rod should not affect the cast that much, the line is another thing though, some stiffer lines will slow the cast also.. Not so much on a baitcaster, but could add to the problem.....

EDIT:
    Just looked at the SilverMAx.. From the Specs I would think they are the same Reel.
    They should perform about the same anyway...
    Many, Many Reels are the exact same inside and a slight change (even color) outside will catch a few more anglers.....

Last edited by Nessie Hunter; 11-28-2009 at 02:04 PM.

It takes practice to get good with it. I've only had mine a couple weeks and only been out with it a couple times, but I've learned that you have to really be diligent in watching the spool and for backlashes when you first start casting with it. I usually start with a pretty stiff setting on the spool knob and brake and slowly back them off whenever I switch lures. I back them off until i feel like I am getting maximum distance with the best control over the spool.

A big thing that I have also noticed is that the smoother you are with the rod on the cast, then smoother the line will come out and the less backlash you will get.

I've gotten to the point that I can toss a 1/4 oz. lure off shore about 60ft with no backlash with a 6ft Med. rod and 12# test. If you are at the lake tomorrow (11/29) I'll let you try out my setup and see what you think.

I don't claim to be a master with it by a long shot, but so far, i like it much better than my spin setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessie Hunter View Post
    I see from your other posts your young (17) so dont know how much you have used or are familiar with baitcasters, so will ask a few questions..

Have you played with the Spool control knob? (silver knob under handle) if so that can affect tension on the spool, slow it down to a stop..

Also the brake system (Im not familiar with DragMax) probably on left side.
    You can adjust that (maybe??)...

Also on that reel, does the level wind turn when its in freespool??

If the adjustments are loose, then it may be grease in the spool bearings & level wind (instead of light oil).. If that is the case, it will have to be taken apart, degreased and proper oil put in the bearings...

It should cast fine with 3/8 oz weight or more????

The Rod should not affect the cast that much, the line is another thing though, some stiffer lines will slow the cast also.. Not so much on a baitcaster, but could add to the problem.....

EDIT:
    Just looked at the SilverMAx.. From the Specs I would think they are the same Reel.
    They should perform about the same anyway...
    Many, Many Reels are the exact same inside and a slight change (even color) outside will catch a few more anglers.....

I have been using a baitcaster for a month or so now, so I know all about the spool tension knob and brakes and everything. I adjust them every time. I usually have the brakes all the way to 10 and then adjust the spool tension knob to where I like it. On the Silver Max and the Black Max, they both have the same exact line from the same spool. The level wind doesn't move on any of them when in free spool. The Silver Max is a different color and has one more bearing, that is the only difference.

My Black Max probably needs to be grease, but my brother's Silver Max is pretty old and makes weird noises sometimes, so they are both not greased. Maybe it is because of rod weight? My brother's Agility is extremely light, especially compared to my Solara.

I should probably send my Black Max in to have it fixed up because the first time I used it was in saltwater and it got soaked and a little sand got in it too. I rinsed it off right after using it. The day after, I tried cleaning it, but I couldn't seem to pop off the side plate. There was something stopping it from opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Ffejrobins30 View Post
    It takes practice to get good with it. I've only had mine a couple weeks and only been out with it a couple times, but I've learned that you have to really be diligent in watching the spool and for backlashes when you first start casting with it. I usually start with a pretty stiff setting on the spool knob and brake and slowly back them off whenever I switch lures. I back them off until i feel like I am getting maximum distance with the best control over the spool.

A big thing that I have also noticed is that the smoother you are with the rod on the cast, then smoother the line will come out and the less backlash you will get.

I've gotten to the point that I can toss a 1/4 oz. lure off shore about 60ft with no backlash with a 6ft Med. rod and 12# test. If you are at the lake tomorrow (11/29) I'll let you try out my setup and see what you think.

I don't claim to be a master with it by a long shot, but so far, i like it much better than my spin setup.
    The thing is, it is my baitcaster I am bad with, not my brother's! I can use my brother's very well, but I just can't do as well with mine. I never really backlash anymore, so that isn't a problem for me. It would be awesome if I could try your setup tomorrow. I do like using baitcasters a lot better, but I just can't get the distance I can get with my spinning setup, unless I am using my brother's baitcaster.
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 11-28-2009 at 02:22 PM.

Keep tinkering with the spool tension. You should be right on the edge of backlashing. Should be to the point that you're getting a little overrun every few casts. This is when you are at the capacity of your casting abilities. Little by little, you will begin to increasingly loosen the spool tension. When you have all the brakes off, time for an upgrade.

Sounds like you have the adjustments down pretty good.
    Casting with the SilverMax "OK", is what tells me its the Reel (BlackMax) and not you....

Saltwater is a killer...
    Any water intrusion will at the very least leave deposits as the water dries.. Lot of dissolved stuff in Saltwater. Its also very acidic and will corrode many metals very fast...
    Add sand to that mixture and it can affect a reel quite a bit in one outing..

Abu has good quality metals, so corrosion should not be an issue, but deposits & sand will stop the bearings from turning, causing a lot of drag on the spool when you cast...
    Water 'will' get in every time you reel in your line (between spool & Frame).

I tried to look up a schematic for that Reel but there are 25 diff models.
    - Black Max Series (25 Schematics)
    You can google it and see if you can find the correct one...
    Google = Abu Garcia Black Max Schematic ....

I wont recommend you start tearing it down to fix it. Low Profile baitcasters are not the easiest Reel to learn on....

I would try and return it to place of purchase for a replacement or get it serviced at a reputable Reel shop...

Always try out a new reel at time of purchase...
    Take it out of box, Spin the Spool in freespool (with all adjustments off) then slowly add adjustments and spin as you do. It should slow down accordingly..
    You should get at least 2 seconds or more of super freespool (many factors effect this time)..
    Hold the reel and spin the handle (like starting a airplane prop) it should spin free and have very little noise, more like an electric motor buzz.
    Also place thumb on spool and hold it!! then crank the Reel. The drag should start very smoothly and stay that way at all settings... You should be able to feel the adjustments to it get harder & harder with no chatter or skipping, Just smoothness (is that a word??).... LOL
    Put a little pressure on the level wind, and make sure it tracks right.

If any of these tests are not great.. Ask for another Reel and do it all again....
    I have seen all kinds of issues in Brand New Reels!!!
    Parts missing, parts in wrong configuration, loose screws (things flapping in the wind), missing screws and miss-seated bearings etc etc......
    Dont think that because it was in a box & new that it is perfect!!!

Just think about HOW & WHERE they are mass assembled...

OK Rant over!!!

FYI, the older "Max" Reel's, Black, Silver and Pro are completely different than the current versions. They were made in Sweeden and are superior to todays, made in Japan ones. With your current model reel, try removing the plastic spool brakes, it they still have them, then loosen the spool tension and practice, practice, practice.

Also, check to see if the bearings are oiled and the gears are greased, alot of todays reels ship with little to no lubercation.
    Last edited by Bassnman Mike; 11-29-2009 at 02:43 PM.

I was using my baitcaster some more today and I think I just have to turn the brakes down a ton on mine, while I can have the brakes on my brothers all the way up when I cast it. I was casting with no brakes at all with a topwater frog and a 4" swimbait with my Black Max. I didn't backlash too often. I should probably send my reel in for maintenance to make sure it is as smooth and working as well as it should be.