Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MLPA PENDING CLOSURE MAPS - Download

Quote Originally Posted by rusty6 View Post
    am i the only person on this website who feels it may be a good thing that there are more protected areas of coastline? I mean, why is everyone on this website so adimantly against the conservation of our planet? "Oh no, i can't fish my favorite spot anymore!" Boo friggin hoo, its the god **** ocean, its HUGE! Why is it so difficult for any of you to just suck it up, move on, and find new places to fish. With all that horrible stuff that we do to our planet, I'm glad some people are taking steps to help reduce our impact on at least some areas of our coast
    and fyi, if you didnt look, probably about 90% of that map is still fishable...there's bound to be plenty of fish to catch in those areas...

Assuming "everyone on this website" feels the same is obviously not an accurate statement.

I'd like to think that most members speak for themselves and not on behalf of others. The fact is, this was a public debate-able issue and everyone was encouraged to voice their opinions. If this was a "save the planet" website, Im sure the overwhelming bulk of the comments would be in favor of all the closures.... but its not. Its a fishing website. So I understand the comments being in mostly one direction.

With that said, you're correct, there are certain things that we ALL need to do to help protect all the resources we have for future generations. The best thing anyone can do is educate themselves on the issues at hand and then get involved.

Ive read tons of opinions from both sides in regards to the MLPA..... and BOTH sides have points to be taken seriously. In the end, this was about reaching an agreement that worked for everyone, not just one particular community. The problem is, some feel that never happened.

am i the only person on this website who feels it may be a good thing that there are more protected areas of coastline? I mean, why is everyone on this website so adimantly against the conservation of our planet? "Oh no, i can't fish my favorite spot anymore!" Boo friggin hoo, its the god **** ocean, its HUGE! Why is it so difficult for any of you to just suck it up, move on, and find new places to fish. With all that horrible stuff that we do to our planet, I'm glad some people are taking steps to help reduce our impact on at least some areas of our coast

You're not the only one man.
    I kill what i catch , but conservation areas protect the future stocks

Please become informed about this whole process before making comments like that. Also, I'm pretty offended that you're convinced everybody on this website is against conservation except yourself. I've participated in many independent conservation and clean up efforts, and pack out trash when I go fishing. CPR for me too on big breeder fish to protect the resource.

To sum it up, the MLPAs are an epic failure because we do not have the resources to enforce them, they are too much of an economic drain on a bankrupt state, the science used to support the closures was done by interest groups that wanted areas closed, and that science that was done was done shoddily. Basically, the whole process was incredibly biased against fishermen from the start and the conservation measures that it professes to put into place are unnecessarily large and arbitrary.

As for finding new places to fish, the MLPA has shut down the most productive areas. There are still huge areas availbale to fish, but those areas are desolate compared to what exists within the proposed MLPAs.

I'm in favor of lower bag limits, implementation of slot limits, and on and off months on CERTAIN species since measures like these proved to be highly successful in rehabilitating the striped bass fishery on the east coast. Blanket closures aren't compomises and are incredibly detrimental to local economies and fishermen as a whole. Smart regulations allow fishermen to still fish while sufficiently protecting necessary resources. The MLPA regulations are not smart regulations. They are emotionally driven garbage from environmental whack jobs who HATE fishermen with a passion because we kill their fishy friends.

What the MLPA fails to address and what destroys more eco-systems than any fisherman is pollution. That's my main issue with the whole thing. Habitat will continue to be destroyed, reef will die off, fish will mutate, and very little spawning will occur because of urban run-off and other forms of pollution.
    Last edited by bsp; 11-24-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Hey Rusty6, before you say anything else, you are obviously right about conservation. But it means no fishing at all for surf and kayakers either as closed areas include easy kayak launch sites. You overlooked the big picture. Now that people fishing mackarel can't do it anymore, where will they go? Answer: LAKES! there will be a great amount of fisherman(mostly inexperienced) catchin largemouth bass, not knowing the regs and over taking the fish, and catching undersized ojes and taking them too. We'll have a great deal of boat traffic in our lakes which = more pollution Inland instead of offshore areas. Charter Boats are going out of business, bait docks, tackle shops, tourism.... well you see where I am going. Conservation is beautiful, but at that price is it worth the Extra thousands of jobs that will be lost... Isn't investing cleaning up the pollution and dump wasted in the ocean more important than closing down fishing? Yes there will be more fish growing, but alas; they will die anyways because they won't spend money on a water treatment system and the fish will get sick. Do you need anymore bro? And good responce 57, many people here like conservationalism, like "judging a book by its cover"...... Geordybass has spoken and responded.

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    To sum it up, the MLPAs are an epic failure because we do not have the resources to enforce them, they are too much of an economic drain on a bankrupt state, the science used to support the closures was done by interest groups that wanted areas closed, and that science that was done was done shoddily. Basically, the whole process was incredibly biased against fishermen from the start and the conservation measures that it professes to put into place are unnecessarily large and arbitrary.

What the MLPA fails to address and what destroys more eco-systems than any fisherman is pollution. That's my main issue with the whole thing. Habitat will continue to be destroyed, reef will die off, fish will mutate, and very little spawning will occur because of urban run-off and other forms of pollution.

Yah No kidding. Shotty Science. What a joke.

Fix Ballona Creek, LA River, San Gabrial River FIRST.
    The pollution dumping into LB Harbor is insane. The Trash Boom by Ocean Ave only gets about 10%. Last year on the first rain dumped 80 tons of trash into the Port followed by the second big flush that dumped 120 tons of trash.

From the LA River all the way to Belmont Pier was 6' wide of trash. Plastic Bottles, Plastic Bags, and SPRAY CANS every 5' for miles. Thanks Taggers for pitching your cans in the storm drain.

I have pics of it. Then the City of Long Beach brings in Big Payloader's and scoops it all up in 2 days so the tourists don't see it.
    40' Roll off dumpsters lined up as they do the speed cleanup.

At the Boom on LA River they filled a dozen 40' dumpsters.

Fix Urban Runoff Pollution

DR

Yep, the ocean is huge. So by the same logic, they could have created MPAs in more distant zones.

As it stands, the "average joe" now has to either upgrade his boat and/or spend more gas $ to get to more distant structure, or fish the parking lot of boats in the few close remaining areas.

I could go on with the problems I see associated with Arnold's personal legacy statute (he has signed in to law a bunch of other self-serving ones in the past year), but it is all moot at this juncture.

We all know the DFG is going to rubber stamp the recommendation.

Unless I am mistaken, the only alternatives are to either motivate enough legislators to repeal this crap, or find a plausible cause of action (due process comes to mind, considering how they F'd the public meetings) to eventually end up in that wacky appellate court up in San Fran.

Until then, get intimately familiar with your GPS & charts...and save your pennies for gas money.

well said BSP and DockRat. And another thing to add which p!sses me off the most. OIL Companies are also stakeholders to the MLPA and are paying a lot so they can build up OIL RIGS.... Yes mlpa consists of businesses instead of conservationalism. "let the ninja f*sh*ng begin!.... Oil rigs + oil spills = extra points for the BRTF.... Woohooo!

I saw a creepy ad on the bus that seemed to suggest peta and other sociopath groups are trying to pass a law to make meat eating illegal in california.

And no, I'm not joking.

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    I saw a creepy ad on the bus that seemed to suggest peta and other sociopath groups are trying to pass a law to make meat eating illegal in california.

And no, I'm not joking.
    That has to be a joke.

PETA sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post

And no, I'm not joking.
    A nice special finger would be waiting for them....lol that aint gonna work..... heck no! lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast