Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping your catch fresh?

Default Keeping your catch fresh?

How do you guys keep your catch fresh while trolling? Last week I trolled Irvine and dragged the fish all around the lake on a stringer. I have a old fiberglass boat. Thanks

Costco was selling insulated bags with handles, kinda like a big diaper bag, with a zippered top. Not sure if they still have them, but anything similar will work. Freeze some water bottles and put them in the bag. Then keep your fish in there.

I just reread this DOH. I suppose a cooler would be the best bet with ice water in it.
    Last edited by Koshaw; 11-16-2009 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tizzfishin View Post
    How do you guys keep your catch fresh while trolling? Last week I trolled Irvine and dragged the fish all around the lake on a stringer. I have a old fiberglass boat. Thanks
    My wife and I are using these two:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._-1_10001_1308

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...0000_100011000

Then, in the car we have a cooler, with two bags of ice in it.

Do you attach the basket to the side of the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by tizzfishin View Post
    Do you attach the basket to the side of the boat?
    Yes, hanging on a three foot parachute cord, with carabiners at both ends.

Don't use those baskets for trout, it's illegal. There is a law against keeping trout alive, to prevent people from trading up to a larger fish if they catch their limits.

"No trout may be maintained or possessed in a live condition in any container on or attached to any boat” (ref. Section 4.00[e].)"

Hookset

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    Don't use those baskets for trout, it's illegal. There is a law against keeping trout alive, to prevent people from trading up to a larger fish if they catch their limits.

"No trout may be maintained or possessed in a live condition in any container on or attached to any boat” (ref. Section 4.00[e].)"

Hookset
    thats to keep them from using them for bait.
    just throw some ice in a cooler. your fish will be fresher too.

Bleed them and put on ice asap. Thats it. Makes all the difference. You will notice when you eat em. Yum....

2 or 3 guys in a boat with a dedicated cooler for keeper trout, as well as the obligatory beer cooler...too crowded. That's why I opt for the insulated bag with ice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast