Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: that time of year again...which swimbait?

Default that time of year again...which swimbait?

Most popular I've seen is the plunker, the hudd, Z plug, or the BBZ trout. Your thoughts? I like the thread previous on the rod, good insight, but which lure has had the most success locally (by that I mean DVL, Skinner, and Perris).
    Last edited by ddoskocil; 11-19-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Butch Brown caught a 19 lb bass on a Huddleston at the Castaic Lagoon. Awesome fish, amazing lure. My friend has an 8" BZZ and has caught some pretty good size bass, but nothing compared to Butch's.

My preferences are simple. Various Hudds for bottom bouncing and around cover. Lunker Punkers and BBZ's for surface and sub-surface. I find that this suits all my needs. If I really get into it, maybe I'll try a Triple Trout someday.

If you want to go all out, pick up a Born Again Armageddon. That is one incredible bait. If you don't quite feel like dropping $200 on a bait (moment of temporary insanity on my part), Rago has some pretty nice stuff out for about $100 like the Smoothie and the 11in Tool. Smaller and cheaper stuff would have to be 8in Hudd in ROF5 for the most all around effective soft plastic bass swimbait. Lunker Punkers are definitely good bets too for a big topwater. Not a fan of the BBZ-1, but for the price you really can't complain. It'll catch fish and is pretty affordable.

The Hudd ROF5 is the most likely to stick you fish when you first use it. Fishing a Hudd is just a slow and steady wind in whatever part of the water column, and big bass inhale them. Not too expensive either.

That's all assuming you want largemouth bass. For stripers, pick up a 6in plastic Lunker Punker in white. Cheap and very effective. Stripers will eat an 8in Hudd too, but you'll likely have to use a ROF16 to reach them when they aren't at the surface.

Default Evergreen Timberflash

I have been doing pretty well at DVL with the Evergreen Timberflash Jr. and regular Timberflash. I have had more bites with the Jr. and I'm throwing it in rainbow trout color.

I also like to throw Deps Silent Killer, but the bill removed and extra weight added. I still haven't caught anything on it this year. Also punkers are very fun to throw.

dvl largies luv them triple trouts !!!!

lunker punker for surface.

bbz for surface and mid

huddleston for bottom bouncing.

Default Swim Bait...DVL

Quote Originally Posted by troutski View Post
    dvl largies luv them triple trouts !!!!
    I'll second that opinion

Bassin PLS