Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photos of your Float Tube etc

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
    I just made my rod holders... I used 1 1/4" size PVC for the rods... One question for So Cal Bassman. On the slits on the bottom part of the rod holders, why disnt you put a slit on rod holder one and rod holder three instead of rod holder one and rod holder two? and what kind of straps did u get for the top and where do they connect????
    There are a couple reasons why I didn't put a slit on rod holders 1 and 3. Doing so, I would've needed to use two bungee cords instead of one long one. Also, I would have to make sure both bungee cords were the exact same length or the assembly may not sit flush with the tube. It seemed to be simpler if I put the slits in rod holders 1 and 2 and used one long bungee cord. Just attach one end of the bungee to one of the D rings on the bottom of the tube, run the bungee cord over the two slits, then attach the other end of the bungee to another D ring on the bottom of the tube.

As for the straps, I used utility straps that I bought from Walmart. They should be in the camping area. If I recall correctly, they were $2/ea. Attach one to each D ring on the side of the tube. Adjust each one to make it level.

Here is a pic of my tube. To resolve the issue of not using a bungee cord to hold the rod holder up right, I used an elbow to offset the upright tube. With the offset, and the weight of the rods, I have never had an issue with the robs moving or flopping around. Also, this creates more space for you between you and your rods, you do not bump your rods, or hit them while casting. The only down side, it does add more weight.

Last edited by bassguy; 11-17-2009 at 07:51 PM.

I need to build a rod holder for my float tube (Creek Company Original U Boat) and I am not sure where to start. How much does it cost to make one out of PVC? I think it would be cheap. What else do I need beside the PVC?

Hey Fire Ball...

I had a U Boat 2000 I fished from for several years. I would buy the 3 rod holder at Bass Pro, about $10, mount it to your tube using zip ties, or utility straps, 2 straps $5. Light weight, cheap and easy. You can mount it in about 5 minutes. Hope this helps

Here is a pic
    Last edited by bassguy; 11-17-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bassguy View Post
    Hey Fire Ball...

I had a U Boat 2000 I fished from for several years. I would buy the 3 rod holder at Bass Pro, about $10, mount it to your tube using zip ties, or utility straps, 2 straps $5. Light weight, cheap and easy. You can mount it in about 5 minutes. Hope this helps

Here is a pic
    Thanks for the sugestion. Did your rod butts get wet or were they out of the water? I will use utility straps or a bungee cord because I want to be able to remove it easily. Did you strap it to the D rings? Also, it has these rod holder strap things on the side and one in the front, will those work at all?

Unfortunately, the butts of the rods do get wet. Yes, I mounted mine to the 2 d- rings, then another zip tie to the strap that goes around the circumference of the tube, to keep it from falling forward or flopping around. I wasn't that concerned with the rods getting wet, I wiped them off with a towel before I fished with it.

Been a long time since I've posted on this site. Here's what I've been able to do......rod/tool holder, fishfinder and camera mount......a little pvc goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by ATFISHING View Post
    Been a long time since I've posted on this site. Here's what I've been able to do......rod/tool holder, fishfinder and camera mount......a little pvc goes a long way.

Nice camera mount! I really want to built one for my tube for when I am alone. I don't have a good photo of my PB best 7.5 lb bass because I was alone! Looks like a nice overall setup. How much did it cost to build? Also, what lake is that? It looks really awesome lake.
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 02-09-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    Nice camera mount! I really want to built one for my tube for when I am alone. I don't have a good photo of my PB best 7.5 lb bass because I was alone! Looks like a nice overall setup. How much did it cost to build? Also, what lake is that? It looks really awesome lake.
    FB, the most expensive thing was the tripod I used for parts which cost around $12 at Walmart, the rest of the stuff under $25.
    The lake in the picture is Lake Barrett in SD.

AT

I just got a tube for birthday/Christmas and had its maiden voyage on Monday... pretty much stole socalbass's ideas but modified the transducer so it stored more compactly... ended up getting skunked but kicked/floated for about 5 hours and traveled almost 2 miles round trip.

The whole rig

pole/net holder

fishfinder (pirahnamax 215) mounted on a square pvc base

closer view of fish finder

flippers

cotter pin transducer mount

A great way to relax and fish. I fish Lake Lopez almost exclusively and don't get out much due to too much work and my wonderful kids.... but there are plenty of days to get out for a few hours....

THANKS for all the great ideas....

BB
    Last edited by BBfish; 02-10-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast