Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Rod holder for pickup bed

Default Rod holder for pickup bed

Do they make rod holders for the bed of a pickup? One that can hold your rods safely while on the freeway. The bed of my pickup is kind of short so I would need one that holds them vertically or at an angle.

Orvis makes a magnetic mount rod holder for flyrods that may work for your application but I remember them being pricey. I think they were designed for lower speeds, but would probably work to keep rods from bouncing around inside the bed. Check out their website.

In my opinion, PVC and wood are your friends when it comes to rod holders. You can pretty much do whatever you want with them, and usually cheaper than store bought. Forgive my PAINT skills, but I thought this up in a few minutes. Mind you, I have never built this or tested it, but if I was going to have rod holders in my truck, this would be the design I tried first:

Now, if you did that design, just make sure everything is nailed, screwed or bolted down. You could also fill in the empty space in the pvc with foam rubber so the rods dont scuff. Also, i would put velcro straps on the PVC to really button down, and secure the rods while in transit so the dont bounce around. Like I said, that took me all of 5 minutes to think up and design, so with your truck in front of you, Im sure you could think up something better.

Here is something I saw years ago when I had a truck, but never went about making:

It seems simple enough to remake with pvc and thin plywood. The hardest part would be finding how to attach it to a trailer hitch. Actually, it probably would be easy. Screw the plywood to a hunk of solid wood that would slide into the trailer hitch, drill a hole on the hard wood, insert trailer pin, and your done.

These were made by someone else, they look pretty good. You could easily remake these with plywood and PVC pipe:

Anyway, I hope those pictures get you thinking. Or you could of coarse buy the store made trailer hitch rod holders.

http://www.supertruckusa.com/products/92038_11.htm
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults

There are so many options. Just type truck bed fishing rod rack in google, and you will have plenty of options.

Nice thanks for the replies.