Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super tune???? Or just clean?

Default Super tune???? Or just clean?

ive been reading about guys supertunning their reels. I decided to do it myself! I my calcutta and soaked it in simple green. After all the grease was gone I used a dremmel to polish the sides and axle of the spool. I used sauce oil on the entire thing and put her back together. And the results........................................... ................................

Holly f-in sh&t! This little thing casts a mile!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and smooth as hell! If you have a reel, use your dremmel with some jewelers compound and polish all friction points! You will love it!

The TackleTour guys are nuts about tuning reels. Lots of good articles on it. Buy a pair of Boca Orange Seals if you feel like even more performance.

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    The TackleTour guys are nuts about tuning reels. Lots of good articles on it. Buy a pair of Boca Orange Seals if you feel like even more performance.
    boca what?

Already done to all my reels.

Calcuttas tend to improve quite a bit more than other reels after a nice super tune.

Now, all you need are Boca Orange Seal bearings from BocaBearings.com. I just installed a pair in my Daiwa Sol and man can this thing pitch. Totally worth the $30 especially for someone like me who is trying to force a FW reel into a dangerous Cali SW environment. They are ABEC 7 bearings with orange rubber seals to prevent crap from getting into the bearing.

Type in 5ddrdx06 for a $5 discount.

Default .

I have Boca orange seals, abec 5 ceramic hybrids in all my reels. night and day difference

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    Already done to all my reels.

Calcuttas tend to improve quite a bit more than other reels after a nice super tune.

Now, all you need are Boca Orange Seal bearings from BocaBearings.com. I just installed a pair in my Daiwa Sol and man can this thing pitch. Totally worth the $30 especially for someone like me who is trying to force a FW reel into a dangerous Cali SW environment. They are ABEC 7 bearings with orange rubber seals to prevent crap from getting into the bearing.

Type in 5ddrdx06 for a $5 discount.
    How do I know which ones to buy? Do I get full ceramic or hybrid?

I have an issue with the sealed bearings..
    IF water gets in, it wont drain out as easily, Saltwater (& freshwater to a lesser degree) will leave deposits that impede the action.
    Saltwater deposits are so Acidic that they will cause corrosion & rust eventually, even in SS bearings....
    Even Ceramic bearings have SS races....

I prefer Open bearings for that reason..

Ceramic is the absolute best if your looking for a bearing upgrade...

I used a dremmel to polish the sides and axle of the spool.
    Use caution on doing this...
    Taking the diameter of the spool shaft down, may cause excess wear in the bearing contact...
    It must be a close to tight tolerance so the bearing will turn.... You dont want the shaft turning like a bushing...
    Defeats the purpose and function of a Bearing.....

The Boca Bearings are VERY nice. I use the ceramics in my R/C car applications and they are very smooth and well worth the money.

You guys must be superhuman if you can tell the difference in your reel between, say an ABEC 3 and an ABEC 7 quality bearing.

On the other hand, if you're upgrading the bearings cause the old ones crapped out, that's one thing.

I'm gonna take a guess and assume most $100+ name brand fishing reels have decent bearings (ABEC rated) to begin with, and given the minute difference in tolerance levels, us mortals can't tell the difference...

But you Übermensch obviously can!

I don't know what kind of bearings Shimano used when they made the Chronarch SF. I thought that it couldn't get any smoother. I was wrong. I installed ABEC 7 ceramic bearings and used a product called Rocket Fuel and there was a big difference in smoothness and performance. I did the same thing to an old Citica and my buddy was surprised and said it was smoother and performed better than his Scorpion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast