Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Questions about Carolina Rigging vs Keepers

Default Questions about Carolina Rigging vs Keepers

Lately I've been using the little Carolina Keepers to separate my sinker from the hook. Of course the CK eliminates the swivel, bead, and extra knot of the typical rigging ... plus allows for quick, lazy adjustment of the length of my so-called leader.

However, I'm wondering ... and reconsidering how I rig

1. The line next to the hook could be fluoro ... possibly increasing my odds.
    The downside is I would have to do more work to adjust the length off the bottom
    (I can feel the sympathy coming) ;>)

2. Do you think a clear plastic bubble is better than a sinker?
    ... if the sinker is better, egg type or bullet?

3. Never heard of using a little plastic bead ... until just recently.
    Is it necessary? ... and which size do you use? ... if it matters.
    I suppose they're available at BPro - or Cab's
    Last edited by billy b; 11-07-2009 at 07:02 AM.

IT SHOULD GO 3/4 oz egg sinker-glass or plastic bead(imitates a clicking sound of a crawfish)-swivel-floro leader- hook. This is the traditional way. Why mess with success? The keepers are great for being lazy or in low light condition but im not a fan. They can slip and also will lower the clicking sound. The bead keeps the sinker from hammering on the knot and gives more sound. I would use floro for the entire rig for the sensitivity of it. On a C rig the bass bite it and dont move so its hard to feel them.

I use the Carolina rig in the surf and Carolina Keepers worked great for me. Just use fluorocarbon as your main line. I was using 6 lb test fluorocarbon with a red Carolina Keeper and 1/2 oz egg sinker. It hardly slipped if it slipped at all.

I have some of the red plastic beads, but I only use those with a swivel.

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    Lately I've been using the little Carolina Keepers to separate my sinker from the hook. Of course the CK eliminates the swivel, bead, and extra knot of the typical rigging ... plus allows for quick, lazy adjustment of the length of my so-called leader.

However, I'm wondering ... and reconsidering how I rig

1. The line next to the hook could be fluoro ... possibly increasing my odds.
    The downside is I would have to do more work to adjust the length off the bottom
    (I can feel the sympathy coming) ;>)

2. Do you think a clear plastic bubble is better than a sinker?
    ... if the sinker is better, egg type or bullet?

3. Never heard of using a little plastic bead ... until just recently.
    Is it necessary? ... and which size do you use? ... if it matters.
    I suppose they're available at BPro - or Cab's
    1. Won't work unless you use a swivel.

2. The clear plastic bubble is a type of bobber, not a weight. You can keep it empty so that it floats or fill it with water so that it slowly falls. Best fished like a carolina rig with a long leader, swivel, and a small nightcrawler or plastic worm.

The bubble cannot be used as a weight similar to an egg sinker because the bouyancy is neutral and it will drift rather than stay put.

I prefer egg sinkers to bullets sinkers because they are more readily available in many different sizes and are pretty cheap. Bullet shaped sinkers are my go-to for weedy areas because the shape prevents them from snagging as easily. Both will work equally well in bait situations though.

3. The purpose of using a bead is to make a "clacking" sound to attract fish(primarily bass) and to protect the knot during battle.

That said, I don't feel the need for them while bait fishing(a stagnant style of fishing).

Size does not matter, but rather than buying a "fishing" brand bead, go buy a a value pack of beads with a small hole from Wal-Mart or Michael's(same thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    I use the Carolina rig in the surf and Carolina Keepers worked great for me. Just use fluorocarbon as your main line. I was using 6 lb test fluorocarbon with a red Carolina Keeper and 1/2 oz egg sinker. It hardly slipped if it slipped at all.

I have some of the red plastic beads, but I only use those with a swivel.
    I don't like the use of CK in the surf environment because the waves are continuously crashing, twisting the bait as well as your line. In this situation, I find the use of a quality swivel absolutely necessary. A twisted leader will twist around your main line and cause many problems.

CK's are phenomenal when bait fishing, but not useful anywhere else.