Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Trick to clear snarls and birdnest on a baitcaster

Default Trick to clear snarls and birdnest on a baitcaster

Taking a newbie out tomorrow, here's a video on how to clear out backlashes.

My other tips in addition to this guy's clip is: make sure your line is wet first, if you casted on the very first toss and the spool was dry, put some water on the spool, lessens the line friction.

I find that tighten down the drags helps on the short retrieve and don't start picking at the backlash, it's a natural tendency, but can make it worse.

I like to bring a new person and show them that by letting them get the birdnest and then how easy it is to untangle. If my wife can do it, then you guys should do well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5kwR5zjc&feature=fvw

Good luck and do what this guy did, make your reel backlash (again, just make sure your line is wet first.) Don't blame me if you can't get it work, keep at it, and it will come.

Used to pick them out by hand until I saw this a few weeks ago. It really does work and it's helpful especially at night.

Not like I ever get "professional overruns", but you know...

It looks like it works. I'm just a bit worried that it will damage the line lines crossing eachother with that pressure. I'm used to slowly peeling and then separating the knots.

...although it does look like the only way to clear your line at night without a light. Lol!

This is the ONLY way I clear my backlash if it gets stuck. It always works. There hasn't been a time where I couldn't clear a backlash with this method!

I had a birdnest that was horrible a few days ago. It happened when I was casting a lunker punker and i got a birds nest. The braid then dug down into the spool burying itself and broke off at the spool. It took alittle while to find it. I ended up cutting one of the top loops and worked my way backwards. Only ended up losing 3-4 feet of braid.

And yes. The lunker punker was retrieved. =p