Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water Around Spark Plugs

Quote Originally Posted by GeordyBass View Post
    IDK might be the water jacket I suppose? Is there any rust on the plugs? Man seems to be a problem now....
    No rust on the plugs. It is quite possible that there isn't any water getting on the plugs, just around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    No rust on the plugs. It is quite possible that there isn't any water getting on the plugs, just around them.
    is the water on the outside of the plugs then? not on the inside???

Quote Originally Posted by GeordyBass View Post
    is the water on the outside of the plugs then? not on the inside???
    I'm not quite sure, but I think it might just be on the outside. I might check it out tomorrow.

I'm not quite sure, but I think it might just be on the outside. I might check it out tomorrow.
    well if it's on the outside it's just moisture from the waterpump inside the engine.

cutbait Guest

I just assumed it was an I/O

Fireball you need to be sure where the water is coming from. {inside the cylinder or outside}

Make sure it is water not gas.

I am getting really confused with your replies.

Is it condensation or actually running water? Do you know how to compression test your cylinders? You should do that anyway being that your engine is working on 40 yrs old

cutbait Guest

After posting that, you may want to consider since it is running fine to run her till she goes. 40 yrs is a good run for an outboard.

Is the repairs worth it? At 90 bucks an hr at boat repair shops it won't take long to get to a point where it is simply not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    I just assumed it was an I/O

Fireball you need to be sure where the water is coming from. {inside the cylinder or outside}

Make sure it is water not gas.

I am getting really confused with your replies.

Is it condensation or actually running water? Do you know how to compression test your cylinders? You should do that anyway being that your engine is working on 40 yrs old
    It is an OB. (I said that ealier)

It is not running water, it is a mist when you take the spark plug out and run it like that. It is just a little bit of water around the spark plug. I don't know how to test the compression.

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    After posting that, you may want to consider since it is running fine to run her till she goes. 40 yrs is a good run for an outboard.

Is the repairs worth it? At 90 bucks an hr at boat repair shops it won't take long to get to a point where it is simply not worth it.
    It is not worth it to repair it unless we can get it done cheap. If we can't fix it ourselves, my dad is just going to run it until it stop working and then we will get a newer boat.
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 11-05-2009 at 08:28 PM.

We were working on the motor when my dad noticed some water around the spark plugs. Then we took the top spark plug all the way out to test if it was leaking water. It was shoot a small mist of water out. I don't know what it is and if it is a problem. Motor seems to be working fine.
    What is this "shoot a small mist of water out" that you are talking about? Are you saying you took out a spark plug and water shot out of the cylinder? And how much water are we talking about here?

If water is inside the cylinders, you have a big problem. Water doesn't burn, obviously, but even worse it is not compressible. If you get enough water in your cylinders, the motor will hydro-lock which usually means complete destruction.

I'd run a compression test of all cylinders and report back with the results. Also try to find the source of the water. How is it getting inside the cylinders, assuming that's where it is coming from?

Bad head gasket sounds reasonable. I don't suppose you could have a cracked block?

Good luck.

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Kevman View Post
    Bad head gasket sounds reasonable. I don't suppose you could have a cracked block?

Good luck.

Kev
    thats what I meant by Uh-Oh!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevman View Post
    What is this "shoot a small mist of water out" that you are talking about? Are you saying you took out a spark plug and water shot out of the cylinder? And how much water are we talking about here?

If water is inside the cylinders, you have a big problem. Water doesn't burn, obviously, but even worse it is not compressible. If you get enough water in your cylinders, the motor will hydro-lock which usually means complete destruction.

I'd run a compression test of all cylinders and report back with the results. Also try to find the source of the water. How is it getting inside the cylinders, assuming that's where it is coming from?

Good luck.

Kev
    I don't know how the water is getting there. It is just a small mist. That is how much it is. We took the spark plug out and ran it and a small mist comes out of the hole where the spark plug was.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast