Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to Diamond Valley lake- Release the striped bass?

Default Back to Diamond Valley lake- Release the striped bass?

After a great season of Saltwater fishing, with Marlin, Yellowtail, Yellowfin ,
    Blue fin, and Dorado in the bag and some still at the freezer
    I'm going back to the lake to fish for Striped bass
    I just love the way they fight

But I'm releasing most of them to catch them again and again

Today I kept just one and gave it to my buddy Keenefish
    who drove all the way from Vegas to catch a DD
    he wanted fish tacos

Today we fished 1/2 day

hooked 3 Striped bass released 2 and kept a 16.5 pounder
    (for David) and nailed Tons of LM bass most from 3 to 5 pounds
    and all were released... so the LM bass fisherman keep catching them

2 of the the striped bass was released
    so you guys can catch them again
    but let them go, to be catch again, and again, were running out of DD's..

I don't think they affect LM bass population, and you can see that
    in the huge amounts of LM bass at the lake ..way too many !

Smart LM bass fisherman release their fish to be caught again

and striped bass fisherman kill their fish... duh?

wake up

Nothing fights like a DD striper in Freshwater.. nothing

and the skunkers excuse that there is no fish because the stripers ate it
    is a lie

Stripers preffer shad

I never had a striper with a LM bass in the belly

so let them go pic and release?

let them get huge to 50-pounds?

that would be a good fight boys
    whatcha say ? pic and release the stripers?

There's been too many studies at different lakes
    and striped bass does not affect LM bass population
    and stripers have a hard time reproducing in the lakes

so the big ones that make it to the lake should be released
    to fight another day

http://www.arkansasstripers.com/stri...ss-crappie.htm

Pics tonite
    Last edited by eddiefishtaco; 11-07-2009 at 11:49 PM.

Congrats on the DD jailbird, look fwd to seeing pics of that pig. Man can't wait to fish again
    If you need room in the freezer, I'll be happy to take some of that BlueFin and Yellowfin off your hands:)

Default Release Striped Bass?

Hey Fishtaco,

I don't want to start an argument, but striped bass have ruined a fantastic rainbow trout fishery at DVL and the largemouth bass won't be far behind. I've fished all the local lakes here in SoCal over the last 30 years and the striped bass has caused the demise of a possible world record largemouth bass from Castaic and a terrific German Brown, rainbow trout and bass fishery from Silverwood. Now Perris Lake has stripers and the bass fishing in the future will be strictly for 4-5 pound bass. I used to catch 4-5 pound holdover trout at Perris no more than 6 years ago.

Striped bass are a ravenous species that feeds on ALL fish, not just shad. Small fingerling to 2 pound bass and any size rainbow trout is a meal for these guys. They would eat bluegill but they won't eat these guys because of their fin defense.

I have come to the conclusion though, not to fight against them but to fish for them. I have fished Castaic and caught enough to eat and they are excellent eating if prepared correctly. However, they will die when I catch them. If I'm not taking them home I will give them to someone.

When I thought of a moniker to use on this forum, my name was going to be K-A-S.......Kill All Stripers, but someone out there already had it.

I know the drought and our water regulators have contributed to the demise of our local fishery over the last 10 years or so, but the striped bass is the culpa numero uno.

Please kill all strpers from DVL and hopefully we can salvage the other fish species.

Big Al

Striped Bass do eat Bluegills, the fin spines don't bother them any more than it bothers the Largemouth Bass that eat them. Just have to eat them head first, same as any other fish they catch.

i would rather dd stripers in dvl than a rainbow trout population. thats why there are irvine, sarl, corona, etc. those stripers are awesome and i will probably be releasing mine this winter. after pics of course.

Here's an interesting post I dug up from way back that pertains to this topic...

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=8084

If you don't like to read, here's a Cliff Note's version:

As catching 2 and 3" striped bass fry occurs more frequently now, I'd like to ask if the DFG knows where the stripers are actually spawning. Are they spawning in the aqueduct system, or are they spawning in actual lakes themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Giusti
    There have been several studies conducted in CA, Arizona, Nevada and Utah which have documented in-reservoir spawning of the striped bass...

Is there a cycle that occurs with the size of these striped bass? It seems that lakes that had the striped bass early, like Pyramid and Skinner, the size of the fish has been on a steady decline. While 'newer' lakes, like Castaic and DVL, have a larger population of bigger fish.

It is important to remember that striped bass are basically an ocean fish and they had lots of different types of forage fish to eat. When they were stocked in inland reservoirs and they reproduce the population quickly exceed what the threadfin shad population can support. Even with trout stocking you cannot maintain larger striped bass for a very long time. Also, in an effort to try and maintain larger stripers the Department eliminated the size limit in southern California and increase the bag limit to 10. If striper anglers want bigger fish they need to reduce the number of small fish in the lake so there is more forage for the remaining fish.

Have other states' studies regarding landlocked stripers shed any light on the behavior of the fish in smaller landlocked impoundments? What did studies at Lake Powell and Lake Pleasent in Arizona reveal?]

I was in communication with the folks in Utah that were monitoring Lake Powell. They documented in-reservoir spawning and determined that the lack of nutrients in the lake cause a reduction in the number of the shad. With the reduction in shad came the striped bass with big head and snakey bodies.

With the introduction of striped bass into lakes, has their been a decrease or increase in the forage population; threadfin, silversides, or otherwise, or does the forage population follow a pattern not affected by apex predators?

For the most part the populations of threadfin shad are cyclical with a peak population every 3 years. The predation by stripers may reduce the number in lower years so that the peak numbers are lower in those years. If stripers get overpopulated they can essentially eat themselves out of there forage supply.

Finally, what is the future with the striped bass fishery in Southern California?

I think as time goes on you will see more lakes with lots of 2 pound fish and very few big twenty pound plus fish. There will always be a few big fish but most won’t be caught by anglers. I can tell you about 4 years ago we were surveying at Lake Skinner and found a school of about 20 stripers that were all over 20 pounds. I anticipate it will be another 5 or so years before the striped number at Diamond Valley will really take off to the point that it might be a management issue. Stripers are here to stay and it is up to the angler to determine what size they want to catch...Catch and release for striped bass does not help the striper fishery.

So to recap...
    • Stripers spawn in lakes just fine.
    • That 20 pound striper you release today will probably starve in a few years since it needs more calories than the smaller stripers do, who will in turn, end up eating all the forage (read: shad) which then affects other species who rely on shad for sustenance.
    • Catch and release does nothing beneficial to a land locked striper fishery
    • If the stripers deplete a lake's main forage, it is silly to say that they will go on a Nutri System diet and not go after other fish. Go ask old timers about the TROPHY Brown Trout population at Silverwood and what happened to it as soon as the stripers infiltrated. Just because you've never found largemouth inside a striper's stomach, doesn't mean they won't eat it. Using that logic, I can say that because I've caught PLENTY of stripers on bass patterned baits, they must be eating them or else they'd avoid the bait.
    eddiefishtaco, you say that you have documented evidence that show a landlocked striper fishery is not detrimental to other species, especially the largemouth bass. As a fan of invasive species and their ability to change an environment, I'd love to get some of these publications so I can see how, when and where these studies were conducted. I know I've read about a dozen or so studies regarding landlocked stripers and most did not focus on the lack of predation that occurs.

In any case, I too will continue to release stripers....

I usually release them slowly, in an underhand fashion towards my buddy who is standing at the back of the boat, ready to take a swing with one of those wooden oars that DVL's rentals provide. Then, after I get home, I release their cut up filets into a large bowl, along with a large red onion, 3 large tomatoes, some chopped cilantro and parsley, and some lime and lemon juice, and then I release some salt and pepper on top.

Default gotta agree with...

Big Al on this one. Everything he said is correct and to top it off why do you think DVL is offering a striper raffle? (get a raffle ticket for every striper checked in at the tackle shop for a drawing for prizes the end of this month). I read a while ago that they surveyed DVL (sonar, underwater cameras etc) and found out that there are several HUNDRED THOUSAND adult striped bass in the lake after just being open for about a half decade. Couple that with the severly low water and it will hurt this fishery. And they put alot of screens in the intake to try and keep out the stripers from my understanding and they got in anyway.

There is no more holdover fishery for trout. They've been eaten. The bait supply will not be enough to sustain the fishery (stripers included) and in a few years you'll start seeing lake skinner type stripers with big heads and small bodies for the most part IMHO. The big bags of largemouth that we've seen in the past at tournies will start dropping from 27 to 30 lbs for a win to much less (I wouldn't be surprised to see low 20lb to high teens bags to win in just a couple years), just like Castaic. It's just a matter of time, and not a very long time either. The things are like rabbits when it comes to breeding but worse. The stripers only rear their heads at DVL for a small portion of the year. Get em while the gittin's good. Scott

Darkshadow,
    Nice facts.

Bblbasser,
    I would have to disagree with holdover trout. There are some good size ones in there all the way up to closing OCT08. Look fwd in getting back to the trolling grounds to battle it out again with mr. rainbow.

here's some pics

and some reading...
    http://www.arkansasstripers.com/stri...ss-crappie.htm

Last edited by eddiefishtaco; 11-05-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Default Kill the stripers

Kill all the stripers ,the lake record is nearly 30lbs so that means theres bigger fish,release the stripers into hot grease and make fish tacos,,,,,,,because actually they shouldnt even be on the west coast if they were not planted in the san francisco bay 120 plus years ago,as soon its launchable im killing them every time,,,,,,,,,,t/o

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast