Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Lamiglas Excel bass rod - 1st impression

Default Lamiglas Excel bass rod - 1st impression

I bought a Lamiglas Excel bass rod (model XL703S, Spinning Rod 7' Medium, Line Weight: 6-12 lbs. Drop Shot, Shaky Heads, Tubes & Gitzits) as my drop shot rod.
    Before this, my drop shot rod was the St. Croix Legend Tournament (LTBS69MLXF, Spinning drop shot Rod -6'9" Med Lt, Line Weight: 6-10 lbs)
    I'm new to fishing and rods, but here are some of my impressions about the Lamiglas excel rod (at least to the model I have):

1. Not as light as my old drop shot rod (LTBS69MLXF) and the Shimano crucial drop shop rod. I didn't compare them side by side, it's all based on my feeling and memories.
    2. The finish on the blank is nice, i really like the deep copper color.
    3. I don't really like the rubber reel seat/handle; i like the cork better.
    4. I think the guides and reel seat are not Fuji.
    5. The rod butt is Fuji, and is made in Japan (prints on the rod butt).
    6. Something about the rod balance that i can't explain. It seems that the part before the reel seat is very heavy. I put the Okuma vsystem 30a spinning reel (~10.5 oz) on it, and the balance point is about 2 cm before the fore grip (well, there is no fore grip, just the plastic that is part of the reel seat/handle). Is that normal? I don't know.
    7. When i pulled the rod out of the shipping tube, i didn't like it that much. You might argue that it's only $99 and comes with life time warranty. I know, I didn't have high expectation - just an impression.
    8. fished with it a few times but haven't landed a fish yet. Other than that, the rods looks and feels just fine.

Overall, It's worth the money.

Below are some pictures of the rod. I put the carrot stick gold next to it so you can be the judges. I hope this helps.

Some how the pictures got cut off, for the the full size pictures follow this link:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/jtgofishing/Lamiglas#

Last edited by whate; 11-02-2009 at 04:18 PM.

You know what, I like the guides on the excel way better! Hmmm seems like the carrot may break and if bps has the excel some exchange may happen? lol