Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spinning Reel cleaning in Santa Monica area

Default Spinning Reel cleaning in Santa Monica area

Got a little bit of sand in my newer $50 spinning reel. I realize it's a cheaper reel, but if the cleaning is only like $30 then it's worth it to me to have it cleaned. There's not enough sand in it to ruin it, but just enough to be annoying. Any ideas how much it will cost to get it cleaned? Also what are some of the best places in the Santa Monica area? I know Purfield's does reel cleaning, but I also know they tend to be more expensive.

Why not give it a shot yourself? Have the schematics handy, lay out the parts in the order that you took them out. Also a digital picture is helpful. Take pictures as you disassemble it for reassembly.

There are a lot (well quite a few) Tutorials on line..
    Google *Alan Tani*, he has quite a few...

Spinning reels have a bearing on each side, where handle goes in.. Most likely place for sand to get in that you can feel... Easy clean!!!

I've tried doing it myself with 2 of my reels and ruined both of them. I got all the sand out, but the reel was just never smooth again. I think maybe it's because the reel grease that was already in the reel was very thick like a jelly, but the reel grease I bought was much more runny. Could that be why? I'll check out Alan Tani's tutorials. That'll probably answer my question. Thanks

What brand? This is where buying Shimano is a HUGE advantage. They stand behind their reels 100% whether it is their flagship reel or their lowest end reel. I had a buddy drop my Sahara 1000 in the sand multiple times. Cleaned them out, but just never felt the same. Shimano in Irvine replaced the whole reel for $25.

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    What brand? This is where buying Shimano is a HUGE advantage. They stand behind their reels 100% whether it is their flagship reel or their lowest end reel. I had a buddy drop my Sahara 1000 in the sand multiple times. Cleaned them out, but just never felt the same. Shimano in Irvine replaced the whole reel for $25.
    Oh really? I have a Shimano Sedona 2500FB. That's pretty cool. Do you just take the reel in and they replace it on the spot, or do they have to inspect it for a few days? I guess if they'll replace my reel, I can try to clean it myself (it's definitely a skill I want to have) and if I screw it up I can take it to Shimano and get a new one. That's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin310 View Post
    Oh really? I have a Shimano Sedona 2500FB. That's pretty cool. Do you just take the reel in and they replace it on the spot, or do they have to inspect it for a few days? I guess if they'll replace my reel, I can try to clean it myself (it's definitely a skill I want to have) and if I screw it up I can take it to Shimano and get a new one. That's awesome.
    Yeah my dad works down that way, so I just had him drop it off with a note saying that the reel is under warranty and that all I need is a free cleaning, but they replaced the whole reel for $25 instead.

It's really up to them whether they warrant the exchange for a new reel or not, but since you have the older FB model, I don't think they will exchange a new reel for you reason being that they would have to give you a new model. Don't worry though because their maintenance service is great and every reel I've sent to them has returned buttery smooth. They will probably charcge you $20-$25 though.

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    Yeah my dad works down that way, so I just had him drop it off with a note saying that the reel is under warranty and that all I need is a free cleaning, but they replaced the whole reel for $25 instead.

It's really up to them whether they warrant the exchange for a new reel or not, but since you have the older FB model, I don't think they will exchange a new reel for you reason being that they would have to give you a new model. Don't worry though because their maintenance service is great and every reel I've sent to them has returned buttery smooth. They will probably charcge you $20-$25 though.
    Who knows maybe I'll get lucky and they'll replace it for an FD I went to buy another Sedona FB a few days after I got my first one and they told me they were gone and had the FD reels for the same price, so I got one. I like it way better. I wanted to return my FB for an FD but I had already used it.

Shimano has a "Reel Repair Request Form" so I'm guessing I can fill out that form and drop off the reel and the form and they'll either ship it back or I can pick it up? It's $10 to ship it back so that's pushing close to the value of my reel, but the gas to drive out to Irvine won't be much cheaper. Maybe I should just buy a more expensive reel and then the cost of getting it cleaned will be justified. LOL. This is how fishing gear addicts think...

Quote Originally Posted by gavin310 View Post
    Who knows maybe I'll get lucky and they'll replace it for an FD I went to buy another Sedona FB a few days after I got my first one and they told me they were gone and had the FD reels for the same price, so I got one. I like it way better. I wanted to return my FB for an FD but I had already used it.

Shimano has a "Reel Repair Request Form" so I'm guessing I can fill out that form and drop off the reel and the form and they'll either ship it back or I can pick it up? It's $10 to ship it back so that's pushing close to the value of my reel, but the gas to drive out to Irvine won't be much cheaper. Maybe I should just buy a more expensive reel and then the cost of getting it cleaned will be justified. LOL. This is how fishing gear addicts think...
    Shimano Saros.....

Default Do we have a handy tips page on cleaning?

I need to do some serious cleaning of some spinning reels and I'm afraid I have some Oltimer's disease and want to keep myself in check.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast