Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Striper rod?

Default Striper rod?

Just came across a rod and reel, bass pro shops offshore angler 7' 20-40 lb with a penn gto level wind 220. I am mostly a trout fisherman and not much of that. Is this setup for offshore only or could you use it to troll for stripers, I am assuming it would be way overkill for trolling for deep water trout. What is the best application for this setup and also what would you guys recommend for trolling for trout say at DVL, would like to catch some of those big holdovers I have heard about.

Thanks Bill

Penn makes a serviceable reel..
    Not my first choice at all in that size Reel (or any other size for that matter) Better choices out there for 20# & 30# line with level wind...

Reel should work fine for 100 yrds of leadcore for trolling...

Offshore Rod may be to stiff?? Need one that will cushion the shock when bit.. Probably be using 6#?? leader, so softer rod & tip is needed...
    Look for Swimbait rod or Inshore rod 15# to 30# in 7' to 7 1/2 '????
    Lots of choices, to many to get into...

Price and what feels right to you is important also....

so what would this setup be good for? yellowtail, bonita? etc. If I want a trout deep water trolling outfit what should I buy? Can I use this reel with a different rod?

Thanks Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bstolton View Post
    so what would this setup be good for? yellowtail, bonita? etc. If I want a trout deep water trolling outfit what should I buy? Can I use this reel with a different rod?

Thanks Bill
    The Reel will work fine for trolling, Striper or trout & lead-core, Even some offshore rock fishing....

The rod is on the stiff side for that....
    Need a softer action rod for the hook sets etc, Need to cushion the shock on hook ups...
    The drag takes a split second (after the rod loads up) to cushion/slip = break offs....
    So many rods out there!! I can only recommend you try a few out, and look for a 7', 15 to 30# with soft action tip (like a live bait rod) or inshore bait rod..

Remember the rod should be matched to your DRAG not the line size..
    Example; you can run 100# line on this set up (40# rod), but you only have about 12#/15# of drag, so it will only put up to 15# of pressure on the Rod (not 100#) at which time the drag slips.....
    A 7', 20 to 40 will be stiff as a ballbat for that DRAG.....
    Unless its a Live bait type Rod with very soft tip?? (I cant tell from the article, need to feel it....

A 7', 20# to 40# rod would be just fine for Med (30# to 50#) tuna etc.... Matched to a Reel that has 20# + of drag....

I have a Penn 320GT... Dont use it much at all...
    I got it mainly for Lead-core & trout, & deep rock fishing...
    Did they upgrade the Anti reverse Pawn?? (mine is little older) It makes noise/clicks 'loud', when you wind the Reel???
    One of my first "Gotta Fix This" Modifications!!! LOL

Thanks for the info. next time I go to bps I will look for a different rod like you recomended. If I respool the reel with leadcore what lb ? Also with that lighter rod would I still be able to use it for striper? using the same leadcore line? just different size leaders.

Thanks Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bstolton View Post
    If I respool the reel with leadcore what lb ? Also with that lighter rod would I still be able to use it for striper? using the same leadcore line? just different size leaders.

Thanks Bill
    I would think that 12# or 15# would be plenty... Anything heavier and youll need a larger Reel for 100 yrds (10 colors) of it...

You will also probably have a light leader and that is what you set the drag for (weakest link)...

Im not a big fan of leadcore, but have done some research on it and used it a couple of times.. I prefer light rigs to feel the fight!!!

The softer rod should be fine for most applications....

You can Google "Lead core line fishing" and get a ton of articles that give you a lot of insight on it...
    ==========

The rod and reel combo for lead core line doesn’t have to be much. Depending on how you spread multiple lines behind the boat, a six to eight foot rod works perfect. The rod tips should be somewhat soft with a moderate action for softening the blows of snags and heavy fish. In all honesty, all you need is a cheap fiberglass baitcaster or trolling rod. The reel should be somewhat large in the sense that lead core is thicker in diameter and needs a larger spool. Level winds work best and line counters are a big plus.

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/leadcore-fishing.php

http://www.flwoutdoors.com/article.cfm?id=143329

==============

Most (all) of your trolling will be on private boats, so you have the options of chasing down the fish (large ones) and not getting spooled on lighter leaders. and lighter drag settings...

Once you are set up, the main thing is to set the drag light enough that you dont Rip Off Lips or break leaders on the strike...
    30 to 60++ yrds of leadcore has a crap load of drag in the water, the fish will tire quick just pulling it around....

Thanks again for info.

Bill

For Striper I use all of my rods 7'+ MH with 8-12lb test. I use only spinning gear but baitcasting is equally great.

I use my 7'2" Shimano Crucial MH XH w/ Sahara 3000(10lb/12lb rig)
    and 7'3" Carrot Stix MH F w/ Daiwa Sol 2500(8lb/15lb rig)...