Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: New to baitcasting

Default New to baitcasting

I'm new to the whole baitcasting scene, I'm looking for a setup that would be fairly versatile, as far as crankbaits, jerkbaits swimbaits etc. I really am not sure what I should be looking for, I have taken interest in the shimano calcutta series and I also like the abu garcia c3. As for rods I don't know where to even begin, your input would be greatly appreciated. Looking to target those stripeys.

im a calcutta man but for the price id get the e7 curado. nice, cheap, light and fast!

I'm fairly new to baitcasting as well... after alot of research i ended up going with a 7 ft St. Croix Triumph series Medium , Fast action tip. And a Bass pro Brand Rick clunn signature series baitcasters..... And so far i love this setup. I'll warn you now though baitcasting is gonna be frustrating at first...your gonna want to take that reel and chuck it.... Also don't cheap out on the baitcaster you pay what you get for....My setup was about $180 definetly do your research read the reviews and watch some videos on youtube. p.m me if you need any help..

Great rods to start with are:
    St. Croix Mojo Bass
    Shimano Clarus/Compre/crucial

Great reels:
    Shimano Citica/Curado E7
    Abu Garcia Revo series
    Daiwa Tierra/TD-Pro

I'd personally go shimano all the way.... but the other reels are great choices.

Lure sizes/specific lures would help out a lot because that way we can focus on whether your reel needs to be able to toss relatively light lures or not.

A Curado 200E7 is a great baitcasting reel if you can afford it.While it wouldn't be ideal for big swimbaits, you could easily use it for 6in plastic Lunker Punkers. Those are great topwaters for largemouth and stripers.

buy cheap line until you learn how not to backlash! Also if you go shimano turn on all centrifugal weights on the side of the spool and keep the friction adjustment tight. you will not be able to cast far but after a few hundred casts you will be able to rely on only your thumb.

Default setup lures and line

Thanks guys for the input I did come across a setup from a buddy of mines for pretty cheap and in good condition, and wanted to know what you guys thought. A clarus rod 6'6 fast medhvy and a calcutta 250 for $100 I thought this was a a great deal and ideal for what i'm looking to do. As for Lure Size i'm looking between the 1-2oz range.

Default casting tips

Take a good cast then strip off a couple pulls of line, then take some of that clear Christmas tape and wrap it around the spool .Real the line over the tape and your ready to go. This will keep you from getting those gnarly backlashes while your learning.

Make sure you know how to get rid of backlash! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5kwR5zjc

You don't need to worry about getting cheap line as long as you can clear the backlash. There has never been a backlash that I couldn't clear with this method!