Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Lake Tahoe Shore Fishing?

Default Lake Tahoe Shore Fishing?

Hey Folks, my bro is going up to Tahoe at the end of this month and taking his two small kids. He wants to do some shore fishing for trout, but I have no idea where to fish on that lake.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where he might be able to catch a few from shore? Or do you need to get a boat?

Thanks in advance!

there are only two places you can really have a decent shot at trout from shore. one is kings beach and near tahoe city. The tahoe keys are incredible at times for lmb. ive caught some beauties in there on plastics. good luck!
    -Fick

Quote Originally Posted by FickMoney
    there are only two places you can really have a decent shot at trout from shore. one is kings beach and near tahoe city. The tahoe keys are incredible at times for lmb. ive caught some beauties in there on plastics. good luck!
    -Fick
    Thanks Fick! I'll pass word along.

Are there any other lakes close to Tahoe worth trying for trout?

Caples lake is about an hour away and fishing off the damn can be incredible at times. closer to tahoe you can fish at donner lake, the truckee river, fallen leaf lake, echo lakes and tons more. ive caught fish at all of these fairly easily. hiring a guide on lake tahoe is more than worth it as well. ive caught some monster mackinaw and kokanee after hiring a guide.

Default re: tahoe

I just read somewhere the other day that the trout action is pretty nice for bank fishing on the east shore, south of Cave Rock. And the Truckee river draining from the North end of Tahoe is really cool. There's lots of good lakes in the area. Some are easy to get to, some are not so easy... anyways good luck and have fun!

:bfish:

My advice.....skip Tahoe and take the short trip to Donner Lake and fish of one of the public fishing docks. Just came back and fishing was wide open. Also Donner is a great place to rent a canoe They have a large lagoon that is wind and wave protected if you want to take your kids for a canoe trip.main lake of course is also available if you so choose.

Default Donner Lake

Fished Donner twice in the last two weeks from shore. Very poor fishing. The plants are like 8 inches. Only one fish caught by 8 people fishing

Fishing Tahoe is more like fishing the ocean....and you really do need a guide to get to the BIG stuff.

Fishing that part of the Sierras is a WONDERFUL experience. Donner is great, it's just a wonderful place to be.

Someday I'll retire in Tahoe. It's one of my favorite places on the planet.

As with most lakes in the hot summer months...fish early, late and deep. Donner is no different. Plenty of fish to be had. Many to 15 inches.