Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Fly fishing advice

Default Fly fishing advice

First of i would like to thank everyone out there that responded to my other post about fly fishing. a little back story i'll try to make it as short as possible since is not really fishing related and probably only interesting to me.

My dad fished almost every weekend my entire life so i grew up fishing with traditional spinning reels and tackle. he contracted cancer and it continued to spread throughout his body. Having never fly fished before he bought all of the equipment ( poles reels flys etc )to learn and it was became his reason to live so that he could get better and pursue fly fishing. sadly after a 6 year battle with cancer he died having never been well enough to get on the water. my dad had very little money and even fewer worldly possessions so this equipment is his small legacy to me.

i myself have never fly fished but i ran across the rods a few weeks ago and decided to finish what my dad never got to do. maybe in some small way his spirit can vicariously enjoy fly fishing through me.

Because fly fishing seems so foreign to me i would like to solicit any advice from all of you that you think it might be helpfull i have no idea how to pick the right fly or what waders to buy. places to try out etc. any tips at all would be great.

thank you for reading this

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billstoudt View Post
    First of i would like to thank everyone out there that responded to my other post about fly fishing. a little back story i'll try to make it as short as possible since is not really fishing related and probably only interesting to me.

My dad fished almost every weekend my entire life so i grew up fishing with traditional spinning reels and tackle. he contracted cancer and it continued to spread throughout his body. Having never fly fished before he bought all of the equipment ( poles reels flys etc )to learn and it was became his reason to live so that he could get better and pursue fly fishing. sadly after a 6 year battle with cancer he died having never been well enough to get on the water. my dad had very little money and even fewer worldly possessions so this equipment is his small legacy to me.

i myself have never fly fished but i ran across the rods a few weeks ago and decided to finish what my dad never got to do. maybe in some small way his spirit can vicariously enjoy fly fishing through me.

Because fly fishing seems so foreign to me i would like to solicit any advice from all of you that you think it might be helpfull i have no idea how to pick the right fly or what waders to buy. places to try out etc. any tips at all would be great.

thank you for reading this

Bill
    If you are around Long Beach, try the long beach casting club on tues night. They have great teachers there and are more than willing to help.

Yeah that's a good tip. I've been there and that's definitely a great place to go. They have a casting pond too so you can practice.