Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Icehouse Canyon Creek 10/23 Brown Trout

Back in the late 80's, a buddy and I would head up there after our last class. We used mini Kencor's with 2# line and salmon eggs on a single bent down barb hook. We'd easily C&R 20+ beautiful trout each before the sun went down. I last fished it about 10 years ago. There was a guy in his 30's fishing with his dad raping a nice pool. He had 4 lines out with dough bait keeping everything he caught while tossing his cigarette butts in the stream. WON actually printed a picture of him bragging about his 10 fish stringer he was holding up, he mentioned his dad was with him. He was complaining that F&G should start stocking because limits were getting tougher for him. I wrote a letter in response but WON didn't print it. It's bad enough we have to contend with anti-fishing groups it's worse when we have to contend with fellow fisherman? who dont appreciate the resource.

Default Icehouse beers

Hey Natural Lefty, where didn you get the mini ugly stick if you dont mkind me asking?

I was trying to let this thread die down, since people were complaining about how many people were seeing it, but that hasn't happened. I wonder who is going to protect these secret fishing spots if few people know about them, when the developers, loggers, miners, or whoever move in. Publicizing our national parks is credited with helping their status as protected areas --just some food for thought.

Castle, my wife and I actually bought two mini ugly sticks in April when a new Sports Authority store opened in Moreno Valley near where we live. My wife -- who usually goes fishing with me but is in her home country, Taiwan, at this time -- and I both love them. I got them with her in mind because she likes smaller, lighter poles, but I prefer them too. We got some coupons for discounts at the Sports Authority, so it was pretty cool that my wife was eager to go there and use the coupons. Hopefully, you can still find the mini ugly sticks at a Sports Authority store near you. Good luck. Meanwhile, my wife and daughter are scheduled to return on November 20.

I see now. Your post of this tiny creek that is near millions of people yet has remained in good shape up to this point was to inform the masses so they might mobilize and protect it?

Very smart of you. I bet no one guessed that angle......

Over 2,000 visits and counting.......

Dont be a hypocrite. You complain about the views, yet you add to it.

If anything this should just be locked and allowed to sink to the bottom on its own, then.

I dont see any reason to criticize lefty, really.

While brown trout are beautiful sport fish, they do have a nasty habit of destroying eco-systems. They are aggressive piscivores, they love eating trout eggs, and just dont belong in california..

I agree about Brown Trout, Smokehound. They are non-native fish which compete with the native ones while our DFG is trying to protect the native ones. They had made it almost all the way up the South Fork of the Kern River, native Golden Trout habitat. I don't know if they have sucessfully been eliminated or not, but I think there was an attempt to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by tenderloin View Post
    I see now. Your post of this tiny creek that is near millions of people yet has remained in good shape up to this point was to inform the masses so they might mobilize and protect it?

Very smart of you. I bet no one guessed that angle......

Over 2,000 visits and counting.......

over 1,000 by you alone returning to see an update on YOUR honey hole.

Deep Creek
    Cucamonga Creek
    Azusa Canyon West Fork

No native trout there LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    I agree about Brown Trout, Smokehound. They are non-native fish which compete with the native ones while our DFG is trying to protect the native ones. They had made it almost all the way up the South Fork of the Kern River, native Golden Trout habitat. I don't know if they have sucessfully been eliminated or not, but I think there was an attempt to do so.

I'm well aware of the negative impact that non-native (invasive) species can have on a fishery but there are two sides to every coin. I understand the importance of protecting the Kern River's strain of golden trout which are unique to the upper Kern but in Socal Waters I personally favor the introduction of some (not all) non-native species. If you enjoy fishing for any of the following: brown trout, largemouth bass (both northern and southern strains), smallmouth bass, channel catfish, blue catfish, flat head catfish, carp, stripped bass, white crappie, black crappie, white bass, or if you like using thread fin shad for bait then you should be thankful that they were introduced in california because none of these species of fish are native to california. If we were limited to native speicies in California there would be very few options in regards to the types of freshwater fish to catch in the socal region.

Jerryg
    Last edited by jerryG; 11-04-2009 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    just because they are non-native doesn't make you the resident biologist who determines what is right or wrong. there are a lot on non-native fish in california.... but there are a lot of wild, self sustaining populations, including any fishery that has browns, brookies, bass, etc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast