Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Icehouse Canyon Creek 10/23 Brown Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    I don't think fishing pressure is a problem there, unless hoards of fisherpeople suddenly descend upon this place. I would worry more about drought impacting the fish population -- that, and the sucking out of water from the creek for people's use. I thought about taking pictures of the fish, but by that time, their yellow colors had faded so they didn't look nearly as good as when I caught them.
    i disagree with you. just because there is limited pressure now; by putting this report on a public board, you just opened the door for others to come in and rape this stream.

not everyone uses legal tackle to catch fish. there have been numerous cases of poachers going in and bleaching a stream. and taking out all the fish.

i would bet you that if you go in and hit there again, it will not be the same stream you just fished.

we have very lmited resources in so cal. and while most are not really secert, just openly talking about the fish you pulled out will bring in legal and other anglers looking to score as you did. and talking about what you kept, i know it's legal and there are no special restrictions there. if everyone who pulls out fish tought that way, there will not be a population there much longer. i would have let them go.

if you want to have these resources available to you and other in the long run, you should treat it with respect. keep it on the downlow in public fishing sites, practice catch and release.

btw, for the other guys, bleaching is when you pour bleach in the stream. it stuns the fish and you can scoop them out. a real easy way to "catch" fish and good way to destroy a fishery.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorseFarm View Post
    No harsh comments made. Just shared my belief about today's reality when senstive fishing spots are mentioned on the Internet. The creek mentioned is really being seriously impacted by drought.

"Bucket" people fish and fill their buckets/ice chest/stringers with their catch without regard to limits or DFG regulations. Go to any urban lake or even the Owens or Kern river and you'll see them. This particular stream that was being discussed was "bleached" several times in the past five years. Thankfully, one group was caught red handed and one of them rolled over on the rest of the group. They had been bleaching streams in the Angeles and the San Bernardinos.
    I wasn't referring to your comment in particular, just commenting on some of my past experiences. Ok, I understand what you meant about "bucket people" now.

Default Ice House creek

I take it they dont stock that place anymore?

I was there today lots of hungry little brownies and a couple of modest rainbows i caught and released them all. the hike was fairly decent but it was cold enough i didn't notice much.

I ran into 2 hikers who both thought i was crazy to think there were fish in there. i acted dumb (i didnt need much acting) one even said to me that he lives down the way and has never seen fish in there.

i also ran into one nice irish bloke who asked me not to tell anyone else about that location for obvious reasons.

i'm kinda torn i think if you tell people about it then you run the risk of ruining it but if you keep it to yourself people like me would never find out about it and respect the location the same way you all do.

just my 2 pennies.

Bill

The best way to find hidden gems like this is to be friends with people that frequent places like that. Once you gain thier trust then the places that are availble to fish open up. So to the people that like hidden gems like this once was, most likely will be ruined for a month or two, DO NOT POST PLACES LIKE THIS ON THE INTERENET!!!!!.

If you do want to post, please do so, but do not name the creek, stream or river. Try not to post pictures of anything that will give the name of the water away either, like no pictures of road signs and such. I am not hating anyone or trying to keep the hidden gems private, They are there for your enjoyment, But if you like fishing in a pay lake and the type of crowding that goes on there, just imagine what the local streams would be like if you blabbed about it on the internet. One last thing, how many bites does it take for one of the 6 to 8 inch trout that inhabit our local streams. I'll pass on the fish tenders that someone would call a fillet from one of those beauties.

Sean

Default Ice House Canyon

Well as I got on my computer this morning to look into where people are fishing these days I was deeply saddened and a little upset when I saw the title "Ice House Canyon". I knew right away that this would be a place that I could no longer go to. I basically had to kiss it goodbye as I opened the thread. I have been flyfishing the local mountains for the last 10 years and have found many hidden gems which includes this place. There are some great fishing if you are willing to walk a little bit and be adventurous. Never have I fished a creek with any type of worms, powerbait, or even lures for that sake. It is very difficult to release a trout correctly when using those types of baits. The trout may swim off like everything is fine but believe me a worm or powerbait that was swallowed and then ripped from the inside of a trouts guts will have an effect on the fish. And lures like panther martins (which seem to be popular in the streams) have huge 3 prong trebble hooks on them and can cause havic on a fishes mouth. If you are going to fish the montain streams (wherever it may be) try to stick with barbless flies, do not report on a website like this the gps location to the spot you caught your fish, and lastly please release your fish. Especially brown trout. The original poster of this topic said he took home 4 brown trout from this area. Please understand that you have every god given right to keep your fish, but how do you think taking 4 brown trout, out of an area that harvests a small amount of fish, will have an effect on this creek? Come on guys, we are supposed to be leaving places like this the way that we found them, unfortunately, you can kiss Ice House Canyon goodbye!!!

I seriously doubt any bucketeers are going to attempt fishing these areas..

But if they really ARE bleaching the water, I would love to patrol the areas in question.

If the state does nothing we have to intervene.

I have know about this stream for years. I have fished a few time and gotten 1 brown at a time. I have seen in the creek brown trout over 15" but never got one. In stream like this i do not take any fish home. I know a few more brown trout stream in Socal but i do not tell anybody where there are because i do not want them to get over fished and trashed up. Now Icehouse is going to be like Azusa Canyons with all the people up there taking everything they caught and trash everywhere. If you want to let people know how you did tell them but leave out the place.

Im sure there are tons of browns lurking there.

Default damn... chill out

My friends and I have fished there for years and have seen plenty of fishermen. We used to camp out for a few days and hike and fish. I have seen plenty of fishermen there so it is pretty well known. Maybe it shouldn't have been posted here, but it is fished regularly.

Great advice Chuckie. All of us need to know this stuff. Make sure you don't quit fishing this place, it is a lot of fun and most people that trash canyons and carry buckets wont walk to the fish.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast