Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Icehouse Canyon Creek 10/23 Brown Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Dang, that's a rough place, but I love it! The last time I went there was a few years ago, and I wound up splitting my pants, getting into the Poison Ivy, and getting a few scratches. This time, I only ripped my shirt and got Poison ivy on my right arm, and twin scratches on my left arm. But I am getting ahead of myself.

I have been thinking about going back to this creek for several weeks. It is one of only two exclusive Brown Trout fisheries I know of in the local mountains. My wife who is now in Taiwan, loves to fish with me, but neither of us like to risk her falling down and getting injured in a place like this, so it is best that I go alone. I seem to have an ironclad body, and never get anything worse than a few scratches or bruises even if I slip. There are Rainbows and Browns in the creek that Icehouse Canyon drains into, but the Rainbows have been unable to ascend up the waterfalls on the lower part of the creek. Actually, I believe the creek that Icehouse Canyon drains into is a native Rainbow Trout habitat, in fact.

To park in the parking lot at Icehouse Canyon, one must purchase an Adventure Pass, which I did before starting my adventure. While approaching the parking lot, I became alarmed when I crossed over the empty creek bed. Before, I went at other times of the year, and there were Brown Trout on the attack below the parking lot. This time, it was dry. Did the creek entirely dry up, killing its beautiful population of Brown Trout? About 20 minutes or so of hiking up and down the creek revealed that a ways upsteam from the parking lot the sweet sound of crystal clear flowing water could be heard from the trail, so I went back to the car and got my "catching" equipment, including my equipment-filled backpack, fly rod, and mini ugly stick. By that time, it was about 4 p.m. My suspicion regarding the disappearing creek is that there is probably a pipe which takes the water for domestic use for people who live in the area. I thought creeks with fish were required to maintain a certain water flow, but for sure, this creek suddenly disappears.

The first pool I investigated had two visible Brown Trout. I cast in front of the larger fish, and caught it almost instantly -- a sparkling 8 incher. I spent the next couple of hours fishing various stair-step pools. This scenario repeated itself twice more. The terrain around this creek is very rough, with about a 10% gradient, I would guess. There are numerous waterfalls of a few feet, with pools underneath. Aside from the 3 Brown Trout I caught on my reddish tan midge-like fly, I did catch 1 on the other pole with a redworm. It is possible that other fly patterns or baits might have worked better, but any problems catching fish had mostly to do with the fish spooking very easily in the beautiful, clear, small creek. For every fish I caught, I saw several others which did not feel like biting after noticing that big land creature tossing stuff into their abode. I must have seen about 10 fish in one pool, where I caught one on the first cast, but they refused to cooperate after that. I probably should have only made a few casts in each pool then moved on, but I kept trying to tempt the fish I knew were there. Oh well!

Around 6 p.m. or so, I started running out of daylight. The sun was going down, and I was on a very streep part of the creek about 1/2 mile upstream from the parking lot. I saw the trail above me, and decided to climb up the steep hillside to the trail, to head back. That is about the time I slipped, ripped my shirt and scratched my arm. Then I got into the Poison Ivy along the hillside. Aw, the joys of creek fishing in California! I guess I took the wrong route back to the trail. I tried a couple spots for a second time on the way back, to no avail, so I happily settled for the 4 Brown Trout. I think I could have caught more had I not run out of daylight. There were many good spots I didn't try, but they were hard to find in the fading daylight. Anyway, I didn't want to be stumbling around in the dark there. The terrain is rather steep, and surrounded by large slick rocks from past floods, and of course Pine Trees and Poison Ivy. Another interesting thing about this place is that there are an extraordinary number of Ladybugs in the area. At times, I felt like putting one on the hook, but the cuteness of these little orange Volkswagons works in their favor, so it was "be nice to the Ladybugs" as always. I went there once in January, and not only were the fish still biting, but there were hoards of hibernating Ladybugs on some of the trees, right out in the open.

I got back to the car around 6:30, and drove home.

Here's the catch:

4 Brown Trout, all around 7-8 inches, 3 on the fly, 1 on worms, all kept to present for dinner to my wife when she returns from Taiwan.

I know there are people on this board who flame people who backpack 20 miles in the Sierras and eat a Golden Trout, but I have never seen another person fish this creek, and despite the drought, the fishing is as good as ever, although before, I did catch some that were 9-10 inches long there. I don't think fishing pressure is a problem there, unless hoards of fisherpeople suddenly descend upon this place. I would worry more about drought impacting the fish population -- that, and the sucking out of water from the creek for people's use. I thought about taking pictures of the fish, but by that time, their yellow colors had faded so they didn't look nearly as good as when I caught them.
    How bout a few pics next time to finish th post that be cool...

I'll throw my 2 cents and advice...if your finding fish and theyre skitish, fish earlier and later and even more importantly:

Stay low !

Out of the fishes binocular vision..!
    if you can see the fish
    The fish can see you and you'll put them out of their normal element.

Also try fishing the whitewater eddy's you'll be surprised at how many fish you pull out of shallow whitewater sometimes 6" or less even...deeper if you can find 'em

Less visibility and more oxegen and less exertion for the fish is all there in the whitewater...
    Try it...I'll bet you'll be pleaseantly surprised !

I Fly fished for years for those illusive troutskies...

Deer hair nymphs, or an olive spinoff I used to make like a deer hair but a green off tone mix with no legs just slightly weighted and large taper, thick from front to thin in back..

also the infameous mosquito pattern wet or dry !

Small daredevils or wobble rights -even kastmasters but I'd recomend the mini daredevil..

Of coures theres always a dinky split shot and a single redworm on an egg hook....all these methods wil SLAY them down !

As for eating a trout..

I don't care what anyone says....go out hike/camp have a lil fire and eat a fresh trout !

Thats the way it's supposed to be.

I'm not suggesting to continually haul out limits, just a few for your campfire eats...it's all good...I pitty the person that hates on that....it's what nature was meant to be !

Try those methods above...nail 'em !
    Last edited by gletemfeelsteelgary; 11-04-2009 at 05:59 PM.

Natural lefty,
    I would like to see your follow up report to see if you get skunked or have to elbow your way into your favorite spot among the bucket people. I suspect there are a lot of lookers on the web but most probably don't want to walk more than a few feet from their car to fish. A follow up report to see if the posting really has an impact would be a nice data point.

All the local mountain fishing streams hold very few fish. Most of the pools are only large enough to sustain about 40sq inches of fish. Thats about 5 small fish per pool or enough for a small snack for one person. I figure about 7-10 snacks per mile so you could easily fish out a few miles of river with a few people or a few trips. If someone on the board has higher number let me know. I've raised trout in my pond as well and find they get oxygen starved quick when you have more than 5-6 in a pool 8X10 with a constant waterfall. All my experience is with rainbows, not browns which I hear are a littl more hearty.

gletemfeelsteelgary
    <just a few for your campfire eats...it's all good>
    Great, if the fishing isn't destroyed by hallouts then a fire would do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post

All the local mountain fishing streams hold very few fish.

Most of the pools are only large enough to sustain about 40sq inches of fish.

Thats about 5 small fish per pool or enough for a small snack for one person.

I figure about 7-10 snacks per mile so you could easily fish out a few miles of river with a few people or a few trips.

All good points and I am certain your motivation is meant for the ultimate better good of the fishery but I am uncertain that one could acheive such a ratio in any degree of acurracy, I think it's safe to say there arent vast numbers of fish per stream but that would 100% vary on the stream and how heavy the angling pressures are on it....it's all relavant and variable !

Hiking back many miles will lesson angling pressure's in great degrees without question.

Again I'm not trying to promote the "kill 'em all !" angle at all, just saying that if one is hiking 6 miles or more in or any great distance for that matter, and camp etc. eating a few trout should be an acceptable practice providing AGAIN that it is done with respect to the fishery.

I do know that some may take my earlier comments and "snowball them out !" into a kill 'em all theory but that is why I reitterate my point.

Respect...we must respect.

Well said, G.

I have a feeling half the people hating are poachers themselves. lol.

Alot of people that react so strongly are usually acting on their own guilt.

Reading some of these posts cracks me up. Went to a local mountain stream yesterday that requires considerable effort to access. Met two "fishermen" hiking out that didn't have licenses, were fishing with Salmon eggs and PB with treble hooks and had a creel with 21 4-7" fish. That was in a barbless single hook, no bait...lures or flies only, two fish over 12" limit area. They proudly showed off their "catch" and shared their methods. When asked how they found this difficult to access area, one simply said, "I saw it on the Internet and searched it on Google". When asked whether they realized that fishing without a license and possessing five times the legal limit (and too small at that) could result in a hefty fine, one simply said,"Only if we get caught" and continued walking down the trail.

Thankfully, they didn't feel the need to have a fire and cook their "slayage".

I was fishing one time on the Jetty out Newport and somebody was try to keep a small calico bass so i just walked of there gave the fish and tossed it back it to the water. I have done this 2 time on the Jetty because some people are to dumb to read the rules and do not care if they fish the place out. But then they will say that this place suck there is no fish in here. But it is there on dumb fault that there is know fish in the lake, stream and ocean because they keep everything they caught even if it is other size and over the limit. So with people like that you need to call the DFG on them and they will come and give them a ticket and take there fish away. I seen it happen at Davey's Locker this guy was coming off a skiff with his son and they had some fish. The Ward asked them to see there licenses and the father had one but the son did not. He was over 16. The father said i thought you only need a license if you are going to keep the fish. The Ward said no you need it all the time and he took there fish they had from them and gave them to some little kids.

Quote Originally Posted by trout worm View Post
    i disagree with you. just because there is limited pressure now; by putting this report on a public board, you just opened the door for others to come in and rape this stream.

not everyone uses legal tackle to catch fish. there have been numerous cases of poachers going in and bleaching a stream. and taking out all the fish.

i would bet you that if you go in and hit there again, it will not be the same stream you just fished.

we have very lmited resources in so cal. and while most are not really secert, just openly talking about the fish you pulled out will bring in legal and other anglers looking to score as you did. and talking about what you kept, i know it's legal and there are no special restrictions there. if everyone who pulls out fish tought that way, there will not be a population there much longer. i would have let them go.

if you want to have these resources available to you and other in the long run, you should treat it with respect. keep it on the downlow in public fishing sites, practice catch and release.

btw, for the other guys, bleaching is when you pour bleach in the stream. it stuns the fish and you can scoop them out. a real easy way to "catch" fish and good way to destroy a fishery.

Those browns have made it through many .. many droughts and many many generations of catch and eat guys. pressure will NOT fish the place out..like every other stream it makes the fish WARY and Hide more than ever.... After the Hoards of people die down the fishing is right back to where it was..all these NEW guys who think they have Secrets. They thought ice house was fished out in the late 60s ....lol

So was Mtn home creek.....Even white water was said to be fished out on the 70s

They all come back
    The limit used to be 10 fish a day

I personally release 98% of the trout i catch..but i will eat one now and then and never feel bad about it..or do i feel bad about telling others where to fish...catching trout is not luck it is Skill... Knowledge and cunning .....Not secret spots

Most of the record fish come from well Known waters

Tom

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234