Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Drop Shot Setup

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    With all the money you've spent on misc. stuff, you could've bought one pretty nice setup. DS'ing is one thing you don't want to BS because you'll get a lot of headaches and heartaches. I buy all components seperate because I've never found a combo that I like.

My requirements for DS Setup are:
    6'9"-7'2"
    ML or M Depending on target species and depth
    1 Piece
    Split Grip Preferred
    Ex-Fast or slightly faster than regular Fast action
    Sensitive, Sensitive, Sensitive is the name of the game

Reel:
    2000 or 2500 Size Quality Spinning (Personally I prefer casting reels, but a good DS casting reel is gonna cost you $$$)

Line:
    15lb PowerPro or (Preferably)Sufix
    5ft 4lb, 6lb, or 8lb Fluoro Leader

Price of a good combo is at least $100 without line. Think Sedona 2500 and Berkley Amp or Shock.
    How about a Shimano Convergence CVSX70ML with a Shimano Solstace SO2500FI? I'm probably going to spool Vanish 6 lb test or Izorline XXX 6 lb.

You've got a lot of good advice so far. The Convergence is a good rod, but IMO the Shimano Clarus would be a better choice for dropshotting. Since you're fishing from shore, go with the CSS-70MA. As for the reel, you really don't want to skimp here. Since dropshotting is a light line technique, a good drag is a must. On the Shimano side, I wouldn't go lower than the Symetre. For Daiwa, the Exceler 2000 has been a proven performer for me.

Everything mentioned above, are my suggestions for a decent drop shot setup if on a budget. IMHO, I'd rather save up for a Shimano Crucial and a Shimano Saros or any of the reels mentioned above than to buy a setup only to upgrade later. If you want to save yourself some heartache, stay away from Vanish. Stick with Izorline XXX, Seaguar, or P-Line fluorocarbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Socal Bassman View Post
    You've got a lot of good advice so far. The Convergence is a good rod, but IMO the Shimano Clarus would be a better choice for dropshotting. Since you're fishing from shore, go with the CSS-70MA. As for the reel, you really don't want to skimp here. Since dropshotting is a light line technique, a good drag is a must. On the Shimano side, I wouldn't go lower than the Symetre. For Daiwa, the Exceler 2000 has been a proven performer for me.

Everything mentioned above, are my suggestions for a decent drop shot setup if on a budget. IMHO, I'd rather save up for a Shimano Crucial and a Shimano Saros or any of the reels mentioned above than to buy a setup only to upgrade later. If you want to save yourself some heartache, stay away from Vanish. Stick with Izorline XXX, Seaguar, or P-Line fluorocarbon.
    Well said. Exactly what I was thinking.

Another thing, I'm not a fully fledged DSer so I dont have a DS only rod anymore,,, I sold my 6'8" Crucial ML DS rod because I dont do it enough at all,,, I have all arounder rods so I use my 7'3" Carrot Stix MH w/ Daiwa Sol 2500 for it anyways...

But if you are going to mostly do DSing go ahead, but spend some $$$ wisely and you'll need to break out about $150-200 for a good setup....

My carrot stix combo was about $400+.... Spent all that because that is my go to rod,,,

Quote Originally Posted by GeordyBass View Post
    Well said. Exactly what I was thinking.

Another thing, I'm not a fully fledged DSer so I dont have a DS only rod anymore,,, I sold my 6'8" Crucial ML DS rod because I dont do it enough at all,,, I have all arounder rods so I use my 7'3" Carrot Stix MH w/ Daiwa Sol 2500 for it anyways...

But if you are going to mostly do DSing go ahead, but spend some $$$ wisely and you'll need to break out about $150-200 for a good setup....

My carrot stix combo was about $400+.... Spent all that because that is my go to rod,,,
    I think for right now I will keep using my general spinning setup and if I start drop shotting a lot more, then I will get a good dedicated setup. The setup isn't very expensive, but I think that it will be ok to use for the time being. I'm still thinking about the dedicated setup right now, but I am going to practice drop shotting a lot more now until my birthday.

Dropshotting definitely needs a specialized set up if you are going to spend a lot of time with it. The lowest I would go for a dedicated set up would be a Shimano Crucial and Symetre and that's like $250. A good set up would be like a Phenix Ultra MMBX 76M, Dobyns Champion 702, or Cumara 7'2" Med Xfast paired up with a Shimano Saros 2500 or 1000 depending on what you like. It's one of the most consistent bass catching techniques, and is simple enough to learn to do well that 2 months of fishing every weekend will make you decent at it. Getting really good takes a while though.

If you can pick up Aaron Martens' dropshot video I'd recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    Dropshotting definitely needs a specialized set up if you are going to spend a lot of time with it. The lowest I would go for a dedicated set up would be a Shimano Crucial and Symetre and that's like $250. A good set up would be like a Phenix Ultra MMBX 76M, Dobyns Champion 702, or Cumara 7'2" Med Xfast paired up with a Shimano Saros 2500 or 1000 depending on what you like. It's one of the most consistent bass catching techniques, and is simple enough to learn to do well that 2 months of fishing every weekend will make you decent at it. Getting really good takes a while though.

If you can pick up Aaron Martens' dropshot video I'd recommend it.
    Thats a lot of $$$ for a dedicated....

The ones you mentioned are more for like very experienced....

St. Croix Mojo Bass
    +
    Shimano Sahara

and you got the ball rollin'

Thats a lot of $$$ for a dedicated....

The ones you mentioned are more for like very experienced....

St. Croix Mojo Bass
    +
    Shimano Sahara

and you got the ball rollin'
    I feel like it's better to drop the $$$ on a dedicated combo so it does what you want perfectly. Kind of like how a high end crankbait rod really helps with keeping fish pinned on the hooks, is very sensitive, and tosses baits far, or pretty much any other technique specific rod does its job much better than an all around. I also am not a fan of upgrading. I've always used cheap gear until I could afford a top of the line set up.

This is all personal opinion though, so if you disagree that's cool. One of my friends is always upgrading his paintball marker/gun or trading it to somebody else for a lower end model plus cash when he needs money. Then he upgrades and adds cash again. I can't figure out the appeal, but he's happy so that's what matters.

But you do have a point that the set ups I picked are $$$. A St. Croix Mojo or Shimano Compre with a Sahara would be a good first dropshot combo if you didn't want to spend a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    I feel like it's better to drop the $$$ on a dedicated combo so it does what you want perfectly. Kind of like how a high end crankbait rod really helps with keeping fish pinned on the hooks, is very sensitive, and tosses baits far, or pretty much any other technique specific rod does its job much better than an all around. I also am not a fan of upgrading. I've always used cheap gear until I could afford a top of the line set up.

This is all personal opinion though, so if you disagree that's cool. One of my friends is always upgrading his paintball marker/gun or trading it to somebody else for a lower end model plus cash when he needs money. Then he upgrades and adds cash again. I can't figure out the appeal, but he's happy so that's what matters.

But you do have a point that the set ups I picked are $$$. A St. Croix Mojo or Shimano Compre with a Sahara would be a good first dropshot combo if you didn't want to spend a lot.
    I plan on getting a setup that isn't very expensive and I am not going to be upgrading it. So getting a cheaper setup isn't going to cause me to upgrade in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    I plan on getting a setup that isn't very expensive and I am not going to be upgrading it. So getting a cheaper setup isn't going to cause me to upgrade in the future.
    Dude, no matter what you say about you not upgrading in the future you will, trust me, i don't care if you say no,you will upgrade,,,

I started off with a pos Berkeley Lightning Stick($45) and a Quantum Optix 30(Best reel in the world for $20-30).... I thought this was what I would only need for the rest of my fishing life,,,

Well, I already replied on what gear I have so I need not say anymore... My 3 go-to freshwater rods are about 1k in total.... so theres been upgrading.... about 2-3k in my setups in total.... I've gotten rid of some rods and reels already so I now have what I really need.... I've sold off my Shimano Stella 4000(Search how much they cost bro!), Shimano Sustain 3000, and a few other rods like Cal-Stars or Tru-lines....

I regret selling the Stella though
    Last edited by GeordyBass; 10-20-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Dude, no matter what you say about you not upgrading in the future you will, trust me, i don't care if you say no,you will upgrade,,,

I started off with a pos Berkeley Lightning Stick($45) and a Quantum Optix 30(Best reel in the world for $20-30).... I thought this was what I would only need for the rest of my fishing life,,,

Well, I already replied on what gear I have so I need not say anymore... My 3 go-to freshwater rods are about 1k in total.... so theres been upgrading.... about 2-3k in my setups in total.... I've gotten rid of some rods and reels already so I now have what I really need.... I've sold off my Shimano Stella 4000(Search how much they cost bro!), Shimano Sustain 3000, and a few other rods like Cal-Stars or Tru-lines....

I regret selling the Stella though
    Do you suggest I get a Quantum Optix? Lol. I am either going to get a Okuma Aveon, Shimano Sienna, Shimano Solstace, or something else.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast