Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Drop Shot Setup

Get the Convergence 7' ML spinning rod.... Has Lifetime warranty so if it breaks you get a new one no questions asked..... Also try getting a 2000 or 2500 sized reel.... about any reel will work but don't get something too cheap quality..... Also, Use Sea-guar Invis-x 6lb test.... You can use 1/2 8lb test Mono and 1/2 Seaguar.... If you had the $$$ I'd Suggest getting a new Shimano Sahara reel..... I have one and It is smooth,drag is awesome, and priced right.... It is as smooth as my old Sustain FE.... with about 1/3 the price.....

Quote Originally Posted by El Weirdo View Post
    That is way too expensive for me! I need it to be $100 or less! I want to have a 2 piece rod so I can transport it easier.

I was looking at this for $130. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...003000_100-3-0

Default What's important in looking for a drop-shot setup

I need to learn how to set up a drop shot. I have tons of rods and reels ... what's the diff?

Speaking of line. I'm going to have to buy spools and wind it myself. Any tips ... do we have a spot on this web site?

Thanks,

billy b

with the 2 piece you will give up a lot on sensitivity..basically DS is about feel..
    little tics..bumps.....am no expert by any means but that is what i have learned good luck..and keep practicing ..nothing like time on the water for a teacher!

Check out the Damiki Angel Ex series for cheap, good quality 2 piece rods. $80 for the rod, so pick up Shimano Sedona for a total cost of $140 before taxes/shipping. Much nicer than a comparable Bass Pro Shops combo.

If you're serious about DSing, you should just save your $$$ and get a quality setup instead of wasting $$$ in a cheap one then upgrading down the road. You don't ALWAYS have to get brand new setups. Look in the classified section of different sites and look for a good deal. Nowadays ppl are always dumping stuff.

Instead of just asking your parents to buy it for you, ask the rest of your family to give you $$$ instead of presents. That way you could get a bundle and use it to buy the setup instead of everyone buying you something different.

The last one looks promising, but the other 2 that are separate are too expensive. There isn't medium-light for that combo. What would you suggest?
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 10-19-2009 at 09:13 PM.

With all the money you've spent on misc. stuff, you could've bought one pretty nice setup. DS'ing is one thing you don't want to BS because you'll get a lot of headaches and heartaches. I buy all components seperate because I've never found a combo that I like.

My requirements for DS Setup are:
    6'9"-7'2"
    ML or M Depending on target species and depth
    1 Piece
    Split Grip Preferred
    Ex-Fast or slightly faster than regular Fast action
    Sensitive, Sensitive, Sensitive is the name of the game

Reel:
    2000 or 2500 Size Quality Spinning (Personally I prefer casting reels, but a good DS casting reel is gonna cost you $$$)

Line:
    15lb PowerPro or (Preferably)Sufix
    5ft 4lb, 6lb, or 8lb Fluoro Leader

Price of a good combo is at least $100 without line. Think Sedona 2500 and Berkley Amp or Shock.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast