Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Drop Shot Setup

Default Cheap Drop Shot Setup

I started using the drop shot rig and once I start using it more I am going to want to get an inexpensive rod and reel for drop shotting for my birthday, since it is coming up at the beginning of next month. I don't want something too expensive, but I want something that is pretty good quality and won't break on me.

Tips for a new drop shot angler?

Shimano Convergence Spinning CVSX70MLA with a Shimano Sonora FB SON2500FB.

Put some 6lb Izor XXX.

Cheaper setup but still is a reasonably nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by samgann93 View Post
    Shimano Convergence Spinning CVSX70MLA with a Shimano Sonora FB SON2500FB.

Put some 6lb Izor XXX.

Cheaper setup but still is a reasonably nice one.
    That's not too expensive. I'll have to see if my parents are willing to spend that much for my birthday. They bought my brother some nice stuff so hopefully they will buy this for me. I will checkout eBay and try and find a good deal.

good. drop shotting is a great way to catch alot of fish. Use roboworms, best drop shot worm out there.

good luck.

good. drop shotting is a great way to catch alot of fish. Use roboworms, best drop shot worm out there.

good luck.
    I was using 6" Roboworms in Aaron's Magic color with size 1 Gamakatsu drop shot hooks and a 1/4 drop shot weight. Where should I be casting them and how far? I am shore fishing right now and in the middle of trying to fix my boat so it will run.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    I was using 6" Roboworms in Aaron's Magic color with size 1 Gamakatsu drop shot hooks and a 1/4 drop shot weight. Where should I be casting them and how far? I am shore fishing right now and in the middle of trying to fix my boat so it will run.
    I would pick up the 6"inch and 4"(i think) MMIII color. I use a size 2 Owner Maquito Hook. 1/4oz is perfect. As far as how far and such you just have to see where the fish are. throw as far as you can and mix it up. If you keep getting the bites in a specific area then continue fishing that area. Thats just one peice of the puzzle.

Good Luck,
    SamGann

I would pick up the 6"inch and 4"(i think) MMIII color. I use a size 2 Owner Maquito Hook. 1/4oz is perfect. As far as how far and such you just have to see where the fish are. throw as far as you can and mix it up. If you keep getting the bites in a specific area then continue fishing that area. Thats just one peice of the puzzle.

Good Luck,
    SamGann
    I am terrible at locating bass, lol. I hope to get my boat in the water soon so I can catch more fish! If I am going to get a different rod, you recommend 7'0", medium light, extra fast? Is that Izorline XXX any good? The color of it looks kind of weird. Isn't it a dark blue color?

size 1 gamagatsu finesse/splitshot hooks and i use 3/16th oz ds weights. the weight depends on the wind more than depth. i wouldnt use over 6lb line dropshotting. i like my 8'6" clarus with a curado 100 for d/s but other guys like spinning. for spinning and cheap i would suggest a berkly tactics from wal-mart and a shakespear advantage reel. decent setup for under 100 bucks. dont skimp on the line as u will get bad experiances and broken line. i bought a 2150yd spool of izorline xxx 6lb for $21. pline is great but a cost a little more. as far as how far???? 99% of the time the bite is on the edge of a weed line. if your trying deep try a short tag like 4-8in long. i find that 14-20 works best most times. also always try natural colors. hologram shad robos or light oxblood always works. even a stained semi-deep lake like perris it still works. i personaly dont have good luck on purple or dark brown worms like MMII or arrons magic or bold bluegill. id have to say 99% of my fish come from holo shad or light oxblood. for really clear lakes reach for a clear worm with flakes. the clearer the water the more natural colors u got to go. for stained water and sunshine.... try natural but if that dosnt work go to chartruse or orange. if stained and cloudy try blacks/blues/purples. but like i said i still get fish on natural colors in any condition. dose a worm or shad turn chartruse or orange when the water is cloudy or stained?? no. when working the bottom i always use a darker color. pumpkinseed or green pumpkin works under any conditions. IKA'S r the sh! t . givem a try!!! also try senkos. baby bass or green pumpkin with flake. try black with blue flake also. if they dont work fly line... wacky rig them... if they dont work that way.... drop shot them!! if i get flamed i dont care cuz im drunk. i hope u catch fish. if you are in the O.C. area pm me and ill take you fishing and teach you what i know works. all us fisherman have is eachother to learn from. if anyone wants help or just needs advice feel free to contact me via pm or email and ill tell you what works for ME. its not the same for everyone. i like worms.... .some guys like jigs or spinner baits or crankbaits.. its all about confidence bro. not only in the bait and presentation but wether theres fish where your castiing. you gota belive in yourself that what your doing will work and where your casting is fish. ive cast at spots with a bait im trying for the first time and have a guy behind me cast in the same spot with the same bait and catch the fish.... why??? i didnt have confidence in what i was doing as a whole. i wish you the best of luck to you and your adventures. catch fish bro!!!!

I already have a 7'0" medium power, fast action Shimano Sojorn and Shimano AX4000 spooled with 6 lb Vanish. Will that work or do you suggest going for something different like what you suggested?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    I am terrible at locating bass, lol. I hope to get my boat in the water soon so I can catch more fish! If I am going to get a different rod, you recommend 7'0", medium light, extra fast? Is that Izorline XXX any good? The color of it looks kind of weird. Isn't it a dark blue color?
    Yes. i like a 7-8 foot medium light, extra fast. IZOR XXX is the onyl line i use for anything and everything. its like a smoke color. pline is good but izor is stronger IMO.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast