Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout Tips

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Trout Tips

Not that anybody really wants to give away their secrets, but I'm really looking forward to my first full season where I can actually enjoy the Vine and looking for some basic tips to land me a couple monsters. I have a float tube I'm dying to get wet. Is it worth the extra fee or will I have just about the same luck from the shore where the beer is easier to come by?

What kind of setup does everyone use from the shore? Just a standard sliding egg weight with a 12-16in leader and some bait? What size hook?

Appreciate any help, plus it always makes for an interesting thread. Can't wait for November!! Best of luck to you all

im a new to the trout game to but from what i have gathered a small signal hook or an even small treble hook I think I read the leader should be a lil longer the 16inch and a light line is also need for a leader all the advice I got on here and a turns say a 4lb test floro is the way to go and a whole bunch of diff color power baits cuz if the don’t even look at one color a diff might slay them and inflated night crawlers is always the way to go from what ive read

If your going to use a float tube stay away from the beer unless your wearing a diaper . good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by diamondbear View Post
    If your going to use a float tube stay away from the beer unless your wearing a diaper . good luck.
    QFTT

You do have the chance to get a bigger fish in open water doing some lure casting of your tube. It is very fun in a tube

Hi Fresh:
    At each and every lake I fish I will ask anyone I see sucessful their advice on fishing that lake. Usually and I mean almost always they will share their ideas with me. I also share and help others fish especially parents with their kids. That is what makes fishing fun for me...Sharing ideas...I believe it is (US AGAINST THE FISH)
    However what works one day might not the next...so I will continully change baits every 30 minutes to find one that will work.. I like a boat at Irvine but the shore will do I never did the float...but save me a beer.

I personally use a carolina keeper with a 18 inch leader, #8 mosquito hook with a gulp egg/ power worm combo or a # 18 treble hook with Garlic Power bait, or powermouse set up. Always had luck and got consistent limits on trout last season at the vine.

WHAT UP SLAYA, HOW IS POPS. WELL I HOPE. CANT WAIT 2 FISH (SLAY) WITH U GUYS AGAIN. KEEP IN TOUCH VIA PM OK. VINE TIP GREEN / RAINBOW/ GARLIC. & SHORE IS BY FAR THE BEST. BUT TUBIN IS A BLAST. JUST FIND YOUR SELF A HONEY HOLE & SHHHHHHH GL SCOTT / TEAM BRING IT IM OUT PEACE

Thanks Troutslayer....

That setup worked great for me at even the local lakes last yr...Last yr at SAL I seen a guy slaying them with a 6lb floro line..so I tried it...worked for me last yr but I am afraid the big smart one wont like..I caught many many 2-3 lbs but nothing bigger..

I use to fish with my late dad and he would use same setup as me and others and out fish us 10-1...everyday everytime...for 15 yrs..he would even hand me his pole when hooked because he felt sorry for me...and I am 56 yrs old....lol

Thanks Icthus and everybody for the tips.

Anybody troll Ford Fenders at the Vine? I fished Oregon and Nor Cal lakes growing up and always killed with the old Ford Fender set up. But I haven't seen anybody really talking about them on any threads on here.

Default dodgers and flashers

All,
    Even in NorCal almost nobody uses Ford Fenders, Dave Davis, etc. any more.
    Most have converted over to "Ultra-Light" type flasher/dodger, either the tiny inline spinners intended for kokanee, or miniaturized single blades smaller than a dollar bill, typified by a Luhr Jensen size 040 "Trout and Kokanee Dodger" .
    That way they can be trolled off a downrigger with ultra-light tackle [like 6 pound line] so you can feel the fight of even a moderate-size fish.
    They do work extremely well at Irvine, although not many anglers use them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast