Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Titans under the stars

Default Battle of the Titans under the stars

Good morning FNN!

It was an incredible night under the stars at Irvine Lake. The Championship bout between the top 40 Catfish anglers of So. Cal proved to be full of surprise finishes.

The evening started with the qualifiers arriving around 8:30 p.m. for a meet and greet dinner before the main event. The qualifiers were served homemade clam chowder, chili dogs, quesadillas, corn bread, chips n salsa,Rogelio's to die for guacamole and homemade chocolate chip cookies. After the meet and greet the qualifiers were paired up and handed their boat slips and off they went to chase the big cats. The weather was perfect for an evening of fishing.

Pablo Silva checks in a 4.10

Mr. Cool, Donovan Swann, checks in his 5.6

Denise Swann checks in her 7.10. Will it make the cut?

Marty Saucedo checks in a 5.12

As I walked to the tackle shop at 5:00 a.m. I invisioned Jimmy still on the boat dock with a page full of weigh ins and all my contestants asleep in the picnic area waiting for breakfast. To my surprise Jimmy walks out of the shop and tells me not a single person had weighed in yet!!! I was horrified thinking that the evening bite must have just been horrible and I cursed the fish gods for allowing this travesty to occur on the night of the Championship. I held my breath 5:30 a.m. no weigh in, 6:00 a.m. no weigh in. I was pacing and sweating it. Finally at around 6:30 a.m. I got word from the dock that all the boats were starting to come in and there were cats to be weighed! I looked up at the sky and said "Thank you Jesus"!
    As the contestants starting to arrive in the picnic area I heard rumors that there was a 14 or 15 caught and that it would probably take the tournament. I saw Sue and Erica stroll in and I was so proud of the girls (who fished on their own) and proved to the men that they had the stamina and guts to see it through. My hats off to you girls!!! Then came the other 2 ladies Elaine and Denise, both ladies fished with male partner and also proved they had what it takes to hang with the big boys. I tip my hat to you ladies too! Finally all the contestants made there way into the picnic area where they enjoyed a well deserved big breakfast with bacon,scrambled eggs, potatoes, pancakes,french toast and lots of hot coffee. After breakfast we raffled off a few rods and surprise, surprise two out of the four ladies won rods in the raffle.
    Sue and Erica both walked away with some catfish rods! Congrats ladies you deserve them!

Sue and her new Catfish rod.

After the raffle the winners were announced:

CHRIS "TROLLMEISTER" HAGOPIAN WAS THE VERY FIRST
    IRVINE LAKE "KING OF THE CATS" CHAMPION!!!!!!!
    CHRIS TOOK THE CHAMPIONSHIP WITH A 14.6 LB CHANNEL CAT WEIGHING IN AT 6:31 A.M!!!
    EVERYONE WAS VERY HAPPY THAT IT WAS "TROLLY" INCLUDING ME.
    CONGRATULATIONS TROLLY AND I WILL GIVE YOU THE HONORS OF RETELLING YOUR FISHTALE ON YOUR THREAD.

COMING IN 2ND PLACE WAS SEASONED CATFISH ANGLER DENISE SWANN WITH HER 7.10 CHANNEL. WE ARE SO PROUD! YOU REPRESENTED THE WOMEN WELL. CONGRATULATIONS.

HERE ARE YOUR WINNERS:

DENISE AND CHRIS HOLDING HIS 14.6

TROLLY RECEIVING HIS $1000 CASH FROM IRVINE LAKE AND HIS WINNING SIDE POT MONEY AS WELL. WHICH BY THE WAY HE SHARED WITH THE ENTIRE IRVINE LAKE STAFF! THATS WHY WE LOVE YOU TROLLY.

A VERY HAPPY TROLLY WEARING HIS "KING OF THE CATS" CHAMPIONS JACKET AND TROPHY.

King of the Cats" Top 10
    1. Chris Hagopian - 14.6
    2. Denise Swann - 7.10
    3. Marty Saucedo - 5.12 6:24 a.m.
    4. Ronson Smothers - 5.12 6:36 a.m.
    5. James Mondrogan - 5.12 6:37 a.m.
    6. John Fennel - 5.8 6:35 a.m.
    7. Donovan Swann - 5.6 6:53 a.m.
    8. Jeremy Pierce - 5.02 6:55 am.
    9. Pablo Silva - 4.10 6:54 a.m.
    10. Phil Hildanbrandt 3.14 6:34 a.m.
    11. Manuel Romero 3.10 5:45 a.m.
    12. Erick Mondrogan 3:10 6:37 a.m.

THATS IT FOR THE 2009 "KING OF THE CATS" CHAMPIONSHIPS. WE AT IRVINE LAKE WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL THE CONTESTANTS WHO QUALIFIED AND PARTICIPATED IN THIS SPECIAL EVENT.

HOPE TO SEE YOU NEXT YEAR FOR THE 2010 "KING OF THE CATS" CHAMPIONSHIP.

MY LOVE TO ALL,
    VINELINE
    KEEP ON FISHING!
    Last edited by vineline; 10-11-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Congratulations Trolly,couldn't have happen to a better guy.Nice looking cat.

Good seeing you yesterday Jimmy... Thanks for the fish cleaning... AND make sure you tell David to hook you up with some Yellowfin Tuna that i left there for you guys!!!

WTG trollmiester
    congratulations chris this is great news

Well done Trolly - you truly deserve it!!
    Daniela, you did a great job putting on the event and it was sooooo much fun! And thanks for the great rod!
    Erica - thank you being my fishing partner! We had a blast! And I promise not to tell anyone about the big one that got away while you were having a wee!
    Last edited by Sue; 10-11-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Congrats Trolly, Ya truely are the king... Props Hope 2 cya out there soon!

Congrats Chris . That is Awesome

atta boy trolly i called it last night to my lovely gf that you were gunna go from net boy to king of the cats after a season of being overshadowed by pontoon you busted the big one out when it was time
    CONGRATS TROLLY YOU DESERVE IT

Can't say that I am surprised. I always knew Trollmeister was the King of the Catfish. He is a fish whisperer.

Congratulations Trolly!

Can't wait to hear the stories.

Trolly "you da man" dude, I just knew I was standing rnext to someone who was winning that $1000 when I told you that! I'm glad it was you buddy, you are dedicated and deserving without a doubt!

For anyone that aspires to win next year's title this is what you must do beforehand...."The Cinnamon Dragon"

TD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast