Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Hobie Float Cat 60 - almost indestructible? Anyone use one?

Default Hobie Float Cat 60 - almost indestructible? Anyone use one?

http://www.hobiecat.com/media/video/...t_fishing.html

Anyone here actually used a Hobie Float Cat 60? Checking the video above, it sure seem incredibly tough, standing up to being run over by a truck and dragged accross rocks!

The advantage seem to be no inflation, incredible toughness, fast, and good visual height. With the two pontoon design,it sure seem like less drag in the water and hence, faster on water. One disadvantage would probably be being pushed more by the wind and also cost.

Wondering if anyone have used this regularly. Being totally out of the water other than the flipper does seem attractive. Also wonder if one can install a Scotty rod holder straight onto the hull.

The 21 lbs weight is light enough.

UL
    Last edited by Ultralight; 10-07-2009 at 05:52 PM.

Default It's okay

Cool little kickboat but pretty limited. I prefer inflatable for river capability and better load capacity. I love how the add likes to bag on inflatables but leaves out some pretty important info. My pump wieghs about 2 lbs so it's not much trouble. I can mount a trolling motor and cruise and I can stand up and fish. Much better visibility. Ck it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	legends004.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	15718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake Perris Sat. Apr 14 011.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	15719  

True. I guess I ask because the Hobie is considered a float tube rather than a pontoon that you mentioned. In some places, they only allow a float tube and nothing more such as rowable pontoons or kayaks. Thus I am considering this to be used as a float tube. Otherwise, my favorite would be the Sea Eagle 285FPB.

UL
    Last edited by Ultralight; 10-07-2009 at 09:42 PM.

Default Float Cat

I owned a Hobie Float Cat 60 for several seasons. When I decided to sell it I posted it here on FNN with no success.
    I found the FC60 to be a great boat. Capacity is 250# and if you are in that range your bottom will be in the water. Boat is very manuverable with fins. The downside: It is bulky. You need a full size truck and the boat fills the bed. The oars are just OK. If you stroke too hard the boat rocks and does not propell well. On smaller water you are better off with flippers. I rigged rod holders out of pvc, there is a place to insert the rod holders and they work well, BUT you need to keep reel upside down or it is in the water.
    I ended up getting two boats to replace the Hobie. A big Bucks Bags Pontoon and a neat little FC4

Do you still have your Hobie for sale?