Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10/3 FV Keilani....one more tuna run!

Default 10/3 FV Keilani....one more tuna run!

Days like these are why I love San Diego: nailing tuna in October in a t-shirt.

Boarded Jeff's boat at 3 A.M. at SI, and got a quality 1/2 scoop of perfect dines at EB.

Jeff did his homework the day before, and saw a nice jag of temp break by the 371, so we set course. Game plan was to hit the 371, then work our way NE to the 230, then cruise thru 302 on the way home.

Smooth perfect sailing the whole way. Set the trollers at daybreak and started the paddy search. We found a few good sets and got to work!

Soon enough Jeff manages two YT off a paddy before I could even figure out what was going on! Nice job Jeff! The paddy dries up for us, so we find a few others.

The next pictures are for you JAPANRON! Caught on a lefty Daiwa TDA 153 and a Okuma inshore stick, small chovie looking plastic, and 10lb test. The small fish kelped me so bad, Jeff had to back the boat up and sort thru the cabbage! When I finally hooked up, we both were shouting JAPANRON! LOL!

Hey GhettoDad, check out this purple sandbass we are C&Ring....just for you man!

The day progresses and we troll our way NE. Jig goes off and Jeff pulls a yellowfin in. I drop a bait down and get lucky too.

In the afternoon, we find ourselves around the eastern side of the 230, where we find most of the fleet. We chased dolphin for a while to no avail, in spite of the fact we saw two beautiful sets of tuna crashing. Fished the paddies along with everyone else, and got a couple shy bites.

I had a fun time surfing the boat home and seeing how fast she would go on a wave. I spotted one decent paddy on the south 9, but alas, no love.

This wouldn't be a FV Keilani report without Jeff's trademark banana & fish pics!!

Thanks Jeff for another fine day out on your boat. Plus, I didn't U-boat your truck this time!

The tuna are still out there! Go get'em!!
    Last edited by sansou; 10-04-2009 at 10:53 AM.

Nice report and pics Sansou. Maybe 1 day we will be able to fish together..

Purple sandbass...Good job on the release! haha

Rich and Jeff, looks like a great day of tuna fishing! Nice yellow on the plastic, Im sure JR would be proud!

Very nice pics, good to see someone trying out the plastics. Great report..

LMAO!! Thanks for the release shot brother...another nice day of slaying...good job man..

GD

Hi sansou,

Those fresh grabs with rubbers dangling brought tears .... honest to gosh ..... tears to my eyes. Oh the humanity !! Awesome day and well deserved by both skipper and deckie-for-the-day !!

It's a real pleasure to see an angler in his or her own element .... and wringing out every bit of fun out of it that could be had !! How you get 'a terrible shock' and have an even better trip out next time !! How come we mostly remember these day so vividly !? :)

On a side note: I'm afraid it's the honest truth .... but don't you find the rubber seems to attract the smaller grade of fish in the YT department? Honest ... in the past, I've caught firecracker after firecracker while others fish were much, much better. No matter ....... a fish on the rubber is worth ten on the meat !! ;) OH-J/K (only half-joking)

Thanks for the thought on the audibles !!

Go get 'em again asap !!

JapanRon

Nice going Jeff & Rich. Got to love days like that out on the water .

great report rich. YT on plastic. something u dont see everyday.
    [IMG]http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1952/osiitoavatorat7.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6360/38134035pg5.jpg[/IMG][img]http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8875/28244273hx0.jpg[/img][img]http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4591/trophiesal2.jpg[/img]

Nice looking yellowtail on the boat. Sorry the fishing was slow but at least you didn't have to put up with a crowded boat. Anyway he can extend that boat to squeeze one more guy on it??
    So what do you guys talk about?

LOL! Sansou, nice YT! If that thing had a lil bro, it would still be an egg! LOL!!!

Nice job on getting to the YFT.
    GM<><

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast