Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Senkos

Default Senkos

I have been fishing Senkos texas rigger weight less for awhile for no love Just wanted to see if anyone ever use's them with worm weights and a bead ? Some guy at BPS was telling me ill get more hits with a bead before the weight cause it will attract bass like crazy.

When fishing a texas rig do u real it in really slow? What I have been doing is i'll cast it out let it sink to the bottom. Then ill raise my tip up a little to pick it up off the bottom a little and let it sink then reel in som slack & repeat. Am I fishing this thing right or wrong?

I dont really fish senkos much so i kinda suck with em, but i have caught one bass that way, i try to make it sink while wiggling it. (for wacky-rigged senkos)

I have hardly used the Senkos I bought last week and didn't get anything. I need to fish them more to get an actual verdict on how I like them, but I will be sure to try the red beads!

Try fishing with a bullet weight instead of weightless. I never hear anything about weightless working as good as with a weight. You could also try drop shotting a Senko. It is supposed to work pretty well.
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 10-05-2009 at 07:42 PM.

For all you guys who want to know how to fish Senkos, read Gary Yamamoto's guide to them. It's useful.

http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/senko-gary.shtml

I've tried T-rigging a senko with a weight, but found it was less effective so I gave up. The main thing about the senko is it's subtle movements as it falls horizontally in the water column. With a weight up front, you lose this effect because the weight would bring the bait back down nose first. Plus, with the normal lift and drop technique, the bait doesn't fall far enough to have any action. I very rarely fish a senko with a weight. But if I have to, I use Lunker City's Slug-go insert weights and insert it somewhere in the middle of the body so I maintain that horizontal fall.

As with any other lure or technique, there is no one way to fish it. You have to vary your retrieve to find out what the fish wants. There are times when simply lifting, dropping, and reeling in slack works. Other times, popping it up off the bottom then letting it fall back down is the key. In really weedy areas, I like to continuously reel in line slowly while lifting and lowering the rod tip so my bait is moving and just ticking the tops of the weeds. In the colder months or after a cold front, dragging it a short distance then deadsticking it for several minutes has been productive for me. Don't forget to experiment with different colors and sizes also.