Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LC 110 or 100?

Quote Originally Posted by TShaffer View Post
    I never took the lip off mine and to be honest I've never heard of that being done. I guess if you were fishing somewhere with a lost of structure you might want to so that it doesn't get hung up. I don't know if removing the bill will mess it up though.
    Ok. I will get an X-Rap or 100 if I can't find an 110 at Sport Chalet. Any tips so I won't lose my $15 investment? Lol. I'm using 6 lb test fluorocarbon on my AX4000 reel. Should I step it up to 8 or 10 lb?

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    If you want the best shot at a halibut, buy the Flash Minnow 110. You do get what you pay for with Lucky Crafts. There's no guarantee you'll never lose a lure. It's how you catch any fish. I've busted off probably 7 or 8 Flash Minnows by now, but I've caught a lot of halibut too. The thing is that since Flash minnows dive to about 3ft max, you probably aren't going to lose it unless you snag a rock or a fish (done both).

Don't ever take the lip off either the Flash minnow or X-Rap. It won't dive deep enough at all, or have the correct action for halibut. That guy fishes for sea bass in the UK. Completely different predator than California Halibut.

You'll never toss swimbaits then. Lol, $200 for one lure sometimes, but worth it.
    Thanks. I am worried about losing it on the cast than anything else.
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 09-27-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    Ok. I will get an X-Rap or 100 if I can't find an 110 at Sport Chalet. Any tips so I won't lose my $15 investment? Lol. I'm using 6 lb test fluorocarbon on my AX4000 reel. Should I step it up to 8 or 10 lb?
    Yeah, toss the thing on 10lb minimum. Don't cast into the boiler rocks or kelp beds until you have some more experience with the lure and working it near structure. Focus on the sandy areas right next to the kelp or boilers and you'll be fine.

Just realized I typed snagged a fish. While I have done that accidentally (darn leopard sharks), I meant to say hook a big fish. Snagged leopard sharks or bat rays will break your line too, but WSB will head for the kelp and snap you off before you can do anything.
    Last edited by bsp; 09-27-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Yeah, toss the thing on 10lb minimum. Don't cast into the boiler rocks or kelp beds until you have some more experience with the lure and working it near structure. Focus on the sandy areas right next to the kelp or boilers and you'll be fine.
    Will 10 lb be fine for perch, corbina, and croaker too? I don't want something that I can only catch halibut on. I might find it in my budget to buy another rod and reel, but I just bought a new baitcasting rod and reel for bass fishing a few days ago. Parents might get mad if I am spending too much money, lol.
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 09-27-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Will 10 lb be fine for perch, corbina, and croaker too? I don't want something that I can only catch halibut on. I might find it in my budget to buy another rod and reel, but I just bought a new baitcasting rod and reel for bass fishing a few days ago. Parents might get mad if I am spending too much money, lol.
    Use the baitcaster for your LC. That's what most guys who toss the LC regularly do. 8lb mainline with 6lb fluoro leader for the perch, corbina, and croakers on the spinning rig.

As for the whole parents thing, they'll eventually get used to it. My mom and I reached an agreement. She won't say anything when I buy more fishing gear as long as I keep my grades up. I've had the argument with GFs too, but they usually complain that I haven't bought them anything. That's when it's time to say bye-bye!

Use the baitcaster for your LC. That's what most guys who toss the LC regularly do. 8lb mainline with 6lb fluoro leader for the perch, corbina, and croakers on the spinning rig.

As for the whole parents thing, they'll eventually get used to it. My mom and I reached an agreement. She won't say anything when I buy more fishing gear as long as I keep my grades up. I've had the argument with GFs too, but they usually complain that I haven't bought them anything. That's when it's time to say bye-bye!
    Am I going to damage my baitcasting reel by using it in saltwater? I really only want to use it in fresh water and I'm still getting used to using them because this is my first. It is spooled with 12 lb test Yo-Zuri Hybrid (Green).

Am I going to damage my baitcasting reel by using it in saltwater? I really only want to use it in fresh water and I'm still getting used to using them because this is my first. It is spooled with 12 lb test Yo-Zuri Hybrid (Green).
    As long as you rinse it off in freshwater after every trip and don't drop it in the sand you'll be fine. Don't get it soaked by a wave either, and if you do try to rinse it off ASAP. I've takes swims with my reels to get to boiler rocks, had them knocked out of my hands and rolled in the sand by a wave, dropped them in the sand, and pretty much beaten the daylights out of them. A quick tear down, rinse, and re grease gets them like new.

As long as you rinse it off in freshwater after every trip and don't drop it in the sand you'll be fine. Don't get it soaked by a wave either, and if you do try to rinse it off ASAP. I've takes swims with my reels to get to boiler rocks, had them knocked out of my hands and rolled in the sand by a wave, dropped them in the sand, and pretty much beaten the daylights out of them. A quick tear down, rinse, and re grease gets them like new.
    Tear down and re-grease? Is that going to be hard to do? I have an Abu Garcia Black Max. Should I rinse the entire thing with a lot of water and does it have to be right after or can I wait a few hours?

What if I put 200 yrd of 10 lb or 160 yrd of 12 lb on my spinning reel? Will I be fine with it? I have some leftover 12 lb test Yo-Zuri that I might be able to spool my spinning reel up with. Actually, I think I only have 125 yards or so of Yo-Zuri left!
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 09-27-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Tear down and re-grease? Is that going to be hard to do? I have an Abu Garcia Black Max. Should I rinse the entire thing with a lot of water and does it have to be right after or can I wait a few hours?

What if I put 200 yrd of 10 lb or 160 yrd of 12 lb on my spinning reel? Will I be fine with it? I have some leftover 12 lb test Yo-Zuri that I might be able to spool my spinning reel up with. Actually, I think I only have 125 yards or so of Yo-Zuri left!
    Well, if you can read the schematic that' readily available off the manufacturer's website it's not that hard. The reel should come with a little tool to open it up (combination wrench/screwdriver). Most of it is pretty obvious as long as you don't try to open up your magnetic breaking unit.

The Ardent Reels cleaning kit comes with everything you need for cleaning and maintaining your reels. I've used mine for a long time, and it's done a great job. For $20 it's pretty cheap too.

I wouldn't recommend that if you want to use the reel for perch and corbina too. You'll lose serious casting distance with the larger diameter 12lb line and light perch/corbina weights. If it came with another spool go for it, but otherwise the baitcaster is a much better choice. The spinning combo won't do that good a job, but it'll work for your first surf fishing trip if you are really worried about the Black Max.

Well, if you can read the schematic that' readily available off the manufacturer's website it's not that hard. The reel should come with a little tool to open it up (combination wrench/screwdriver). Most of it is pretty obvious as long as you don't try to open up your magnetic breaking unit.

The Ardent Reels cleaning kit comes with everything you need for cleaning and maintaining your reels. I've used mine for a long time, and it's done a great job. For $20 it's pretty cheap too.

I wouldn't recommend that if you want to use the reel for perch and corbina too. You'll lose serious casting distance with the larger diameter 12lb line and light perch/corbina weights. If it came with another spool go for it, but otherwise the baitcaster is a much better choice. The spinning combo won't do that good a job, but it'll work for your first surf fishing trip if you are really worried about the Black Max.
    Will a simple rise in freshwater do the job or am I going to have to take it all apart and then rinse it? I only paid $36 for my Black Max on eBay so I am not that worried about it, but I would prefer to have it last for a while. I think I might bring both of my rigs tomorrow, if I get an LC. I am leaving around lunch time so I should have time to get to the store. Hopefully they have what I want! The baitcasting rod is medium-heavy fast action rod. Will it be fine or too heavy?
    What kind of retieval do I use with an LC and how long do I wait until I start retrieving it?

I got an SXR-10 at Sport Chalet. They only had an LC 100SP, which I think is for freshwater and then a Rapala SXR-10. The SXR-10 looks pretty good. I better catch some halibut! Thanks for the help!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast