Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LC 110 or 100?

BSP works for Lucky Craft !

I still have yet to find a LC 110 in my neighborhood. Turners get shipments on Thursdays but are sold out instantly.

I managed to catch 5 perch in about an hour or two. At first I was throwing my SXR-10, but then I didn't think I was going to catch anything because I felt like I wasn't casting far enough because there were some pretty big waves. Then I managed to get sand and saltwater all over my reel at the same time while using the SXT-10. I was really mad after that and decided to switch to something different. I carolina rigged some GULP sandworms and hooked a nice perch on my second cast. I continued to use my baitcasting rig because I didn't want sand and saltwater to get into my spinning rig too. Overall it was pretty fun. I am going to use my baitcasting reel tomorrow at Castaic because I don't have school and will take it apart and clean it after that. Hopefully I catch a few largemouth from shore!

an LC will definitely nab you a bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    I am going surf fishing tomorrow and want to know if it matters if I get an LC 100 instead of 110. What you guys prefer? I don't have any 110's at my local Sport Chalet, but they do have a few 100's so I don't want to waste my money on a 100 if it is not going to work. They look very similar, but I still want some more opinions.

Any other cheaper lures that will work well for halibut?
    The Flashminnow 110 is the prime halibut lure. Flashminnows are different from other lures in that they have the ideal action for halibut. Cheaper lures will work, but not as well. Not even close.

Thanks. I really don't want to spend $15 on a lure and then lose it, lol. Do you recommend that I take the lip off or just leave it on, if I get an X-Rap?
    You run the risk of losing any lure you buy if you toss it in the water. It takes a while to get confident using them, but you have to start somewhere. If you keep on using cheaper lures, you will see less results. Eventually you're grow a pair of cahones big enough to where you won't be afraid of tossing your LC anywhere.

Whatever lure you buy, NEVER take off the lip unless you know exactly what you want out of the lure. If you want a topwater bait, the go on ahead.

Ok. I will get an X-Rap or 100 if I can't find an 110 at Sport Chalet. Any tips so I won't lose my $15 investment? Lol. I'm using 6 lb test fluorocarbon on my AX4000 reel. Should I step it up to 8 or 10 lb?

Thanks. I am worried about losing it on the cast than anything else.
    Don't use your LC around structure for awhile. Stick to using on sandy beaches.

I can only imagine how much 6lb you can fit onto that 4000 sized reel. Maybe 350yards or so? Flurocarbon too? Ouch. Lots of wasted line there.

Definitely at least 10lb for the LC.

Will 10 lb be fine for perch, corbina, and croaker too? I don't want something that I can only catch halibut on. I might find it in my budget to buy another rod and reel, but I just bought a new baitcasting rod and reel for bass fishing a few days ago. Parents might get mad if I am spending too much money, lol.
    10lb line will greatly reduce the number of bites you get from croakers, perch and especially corbina.

You aren't in dire need of another casting rig. Save up and spend it on some quality stuff next time around. If you think you've spent too much money already, you ain't seen nothing yet...

Am I going to damage my baitcasting reel by using it in saltwater? I really only want to use it in fresh water and I'm still getting used to using them because this is my first. It is spooled with 12 lb test Yo-Zuri Hybrid (Green).
    You will eventually find out that SW is the kiss of death. It eats anything and everything. You can only take preventive measures to slow the process down.

Will a simple rise in freshwater do the job or am I going to have to take it all apart and then rinse it? I only paid $36 for my Black Max on eBay so I am not that worried about it, but I would prefer to have it last for a while. I think I might bring both of my rigs tomorrow, if I get an LC. I am leaving around lunch time so I should have time to get to the store. Hopefully they have what I want! The baitcasting rod is medium-heavy fast action rod. Will it be fine or too heavy?
    What kind of retieval do I use with an LC and how long do I wait until I start retrieving it?
    Your current casting rig will be fine.

Cast the LC and retrieve it very slowly. Only time you would need to pause before a retrieve is when a hot chick comes jogging by. That's it...

I got an SXR-10 at Sport Chalet. They only had an LC 100SP, which I think is for freshwater and then a Rapala SXR-10. The SXR-10 looks pretty good. I better catch some halibut! Thanks for the help!
    There is no such thing as a lure that can only be used in freshwater. FW lures can be used in SW and vice versa. For example, the Flashminnow 110 was marketed for the freshwater anglers. IF it weren't for SoCal surf fisherman, it would've already been discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by dfisher View Post

I still have yet to find a LC 110 in my neighborhood. Turners get shipments on Thursdays but are sold out instantly.
    I don't know where you heard that BSP works for LC, but I think so. If you can't find any LC's, check ebay. They're always on there.

I managed to catch 5 perch in about an hour or two. At first I was throwing my SXR-10, but then I didn't think I was going to catch anything because I felt like I wasn't casting far enough because there were some pretty big waves. Then I managed to get sand and saltwater all over my reel at the same time while using the SXT-10. I was really mad after that and decided to switch to something different. I carolina rigged some GULP sandworms and hooked a nice perch on my second cast. I continued to use my baitcasting rig because I didn't want sand and saltwater to get into my spinning rig too. Overall it was pretty fun. I am going to use my baitcasting reel tomorrow at Castaic because I don't have school and will take it apart and clean it after that. Hopefully I catch a few largemouth from shore!
    Clean it and THEN fish. Why fish with a reel that feels like a pepper grinder? If you keep on fishing without cleaning the reel first, you're gonna mess it up. If a reel gets dunked in SW, especially in the surf where there are lots of sand in the water, never keep on fishing it. Find a place to rinse it with FW and retire it for the day.
    Last edited by calico killer kevin; 10-04-2009 at 08:57 PM.

I don't go surf fishing very often so I think I will stay away from halibut until I start going to the beach more. I live 1 hr away from the beach, but only 15 minutes away from a lake so I find it a lot easier and better to go to the lake.

Yes, the 4000 does hold a TON of line, lol. There wasn't a 2500 at the store, so I just went with a 4000. I figured that a bigger one wouldn't really hurt. I actually caught ALL of my perch on 12 lb test on my baitcasting setup! I already messed it up with saltwater and sand so I didn't want my spinning reel to get messed up too, so I kept it away.

I was thinking of the 100SP to be freshwater only because of the colors. I'm not saying you couldn't use it in saltwater, but the colors looks like they were more for bass.

I tried cleaning my reel as well as I could, but I couldn't clean it too well.

I don't go surf fishing very often so I think I will stay away from halibut until I start going to the beach more. I live 1 hr away from the beach, but only 15 minutes away from a lake so I find it a lot easier and better to go to the lake.

Yes, the 4000 does hold a TON of line, lol. There wasn't a 2500 at the store, so I just went with a 4000. I figured that a bigger one wouldn't really hurt. I actually caught ALL of my perch on 12 lb test on my baitcasting setup! I already messed it up with saltwater and sand so I didn't want my spinning reel to get messed up too, so I kept it away.

I was thinking of the 100SP to be freshwater only because of the colors. I'm not saying you couldn't use it in saltwater, but the colors looks like they were more for bass.

I tried cleaning my reel as well as I could, but I couldn't clean it too well.
    IMO, the ocean is just a bit more relaxing than a lake. Then again, I'm closer to the ocean than I am to any good lakes.

When it comes to purchasing tackle, never settle. You are spending your hard earned money. Why settle for anything less than what you exactly want? All that line sitting in the back your reel is being wasted and especially since it's fluoro, gonna hurt your wallet. I recommend you fill up 150 yards of 30/8 braid and fill up the rest with fuoro, mono, copoly, or whatever you choose.

As far as cleaning your reel, you're going to need to take it apart.

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    IMO, the ocean is just a bit more relaxing than a lake. Then again, I'm closer to the ocean than I am to any good lakes.

When it comes to purchasing tackle, never settle. You are spending your hard earned money. Why settle for anything less than what you exactly want? All that line sitting in the back your reel is being wasted and especially since it's fluoro, gonna hurt your wallet. I recommend you fill up 150 yards of 30/8 braid and fill up the rest with fuoro, mono, copoly, or whatever you choose.

As far as cleaning your reel, you're going to need to take it apart.
    My grandpa paid for the fluorocarbon, but I have been going for cheaper Yo-Zuri Hybrid line for all my reels lately. It is now my favorite line because of it is so effective and still cheap. I can't stand monofilament anymore because of the line stretch. I love being able to feel every nibble so I can set the hook faster and better. I need to get a bluegill setup to make it a little more fun and easier to catch bluegill, so I don't want to spend money on surf gear right now. I caught around 50+ bluegill today! It was the most fun I had ever had fishing! In the last month or so I have probably spent $100 on fishing and I think my parents are beginning to get mad.

My grandpa paid for the fluorocarbon, but I have been going for cheaper Yo-Zuri Hybrid line for all my reels lately. It is now my favorite line because of it is so effective and still cheap. I can't stand monofilament anymore because of the line stretch. I love being able to feel every nibble so I can set the hook faster and better. I need to get a bluegill setup to make it a little more fun and easier to catch bluegill, so I don't want to spend money on surf gear right now. I caught around 50+ bluegill today! It was the most fun I had ever had fishing! In the last month or so I have probably spent $100 on fishing and I think my parents are beginning to get mad.
    Bluegill setup? Come on now. All you need is a stick and some 2lb line lol. If you're on a budget, don't waste your money on a bluegill setup(unless of course you want to become a pro BG fisherman lol). Yozuri Hybrid actually has quite a bit of stretch, but it is cheap as well. I prefer Sufix Elite or Izorline XXX.

Bluegill setup? Come on now. All you need is a stick and some 2lb line lol. If you're on a budget, don't waste your money on a bluegill setup(unless of course you want to become a pro BG fisherman lol). Yozuri Hybrid actually has quite a bit of stretch, but it is cheap as well. I prefer Sufix Elite or Izorline XXX.
    All I am going to get is a cheap ultralight or light Big 5 special. Not going to spend more than $10 or $20, lol. Izorline XXX looks pretty good to me, but Sufix Elite doesn't look too great because it is monofilament. I might try Izorline XXX next time I need to buy line. I was just thinking, my birthday is coming up in less than a month and I will probably just ask for fishing stuff! It should be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dfisher View Post
    I don't know where you heard that BSP works for LC, but I think so.
    LOL. Why wasn't I informed that I work for LC now? Man, I wish guys, I wish. That way I wouldn't pay full retail for my Flash Minnows.

I think the only guy who's sponsored by LC for surf fishing is Sinjin Kim, and he, along with Raymond (should know his last name) from Fishing25, practically invented surf fishing for halibut. Nice guys too.

If anybody on this site should be sponsored by LC it's Wingnut!

I don't mention it much, but I do experiment with other hard baits. I've just found that they don't work as well. Then one I am currently intrigued by are Ima Sasuke 120s in my box that I will start tossing this winter. Just to let you guys know, there are times that I think the Ima will outperform the LC. It's weighted a little differently and is a bit heavier, so it casts further and gets a little deeper than the LC. Nothing definite yet, but this may be a better winter bait since it'll bump in front of the lethargic halibut more.

If you want another copolymer Fire Ball, Izorline XXX is great stuff. Strong and casts well. It has less memory than P-Line CXX too.
    Last edited by bsp; 10-04-2009 at 09:43 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123