Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iron Rod/Reel Recommendations

I have a Calstar 690J with a Sealine 40SHV. It casts A1s and Cs really well and doesn't feel overpowered. It handles 45s OK, but I wish I stepped up to a 90J from the start.

I do have a bit of a problem casting it from a private boat with overhead rocket launchers. Had one casuality already. =/

The Phenix 909H is a good choice to keep in mind that hasn't been mentioned if you like a graphite jig stick. A Saltiga 30 is the way to go for a surface iron reel.

Go to your local shop and find what stick you like. Here's what I use, I love to throw the iron, but each person has different preferences. I like a graphite/glass combo along the likes of the Calstar Graphiters.

For local fishing, a Calstar 900M is a damn fine rod for anything local, and I can throw lighter iron like a A1 or C just as long as a dude with a 10 foot glass stick. Unless Im fishing like cuda on the iron, I like at least 40lb. You can fish straight mono or do like I do and fishing Spectra with a short leader. This setup can be used for skip-jigging the Megabaits for offshore.

For offshore, I like a Seeker Ulua 10' cut down a bit. I still like 40lb but if the fish get bigger, I bump to 50. Once again, I like a Spectra with a short leader. This setup throws a bigger iron like a 45 or 7X very well, and sometimes the key to a bigger fish is throwing something that offers a large meal plan. The 90J is another standard, well qualified setup to throw larger surface iron.

I personally keep 4 iron rods; a 7 foot for yoyoing, a 900M for light surface iron, the Ulua for the 45/7x, and another 900M for fishing Megabaits.

I like my Daiwa Saltists. I use 30Ts with the Spectra. For heavy yoyo iron I bump up to a bigger reel, but with Spectra, I find all the line capacity I need with the 30T. But find what you like to fish first, and then match your outfit. Some dudes love the Spectra, some only like to fish straight mono. There arent any local fish, with the exception of maybe a homeguard yellow here and there, that will kick your *** on straight 40. And if your fishing freaking pencils and bones all day, why not fish straight mono. Hell, Ill throw a Jigmaster with 25lb o na light 8 footer then, but its a lot of fun

I go to my local shops but they dont carry left hand stuff. So i cant really get the FEEL of it if you know what i mean! So thats useseless to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lalo56 View Post
    I go to my local shops but they dont carry left hand stuff. So i cant really get the FEEL of it if you know what i mean! So thats useseless to me.
    did you try bob sands for lefty?
    i have phenix 909h with saltiga 30, it works great for me.

Ok. Whatever you want to do dude. You never mentioned in the post you are left handed, and I certainly would not know, so my help was only in good spirit. You can still see which type of rod you prefer, minus the reel. When you find a place that carries the reels you are looking for in a lefty configuration, then try them out again.

Quote Originally Posted by lalo56 View Post
    Try to learn to reel with your right hand. It's a helluva lot easier than a right-handed person learning to cast a jig lefty. You won't even have to change hands on the rod then after you cast. It'll be sweet!

I use a Calstar 270-8H glass and a Penn 545GS with 5:1 gears and upgraded bearings with 25# for light jigs like Tady Cs for cuda, etc.

For heavier jigs, a Calstar 800L with a Daiwa X-40 HV with 30#.

I don't like to fish the big sticks and I fish mostly local from a private boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevman View Post
    Try to learn to reel with your right hand. It's a helluva lot easier than a right-handed person learning to cast a jig lefty. You won't even have to change hands on the rod then after you cast. It'll be sweet!
    Ummm....no.

I am a lefty, though I fished righty saltwater equipment for a long time (it used to be the selection of lefty gear was mediocre).

Being lefty means I cast over my right shoulder, with my right thumb on the spool and left hand at the base of the rod. In other words, I don't "change hands on the rod" after I cast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12