Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iron Rod/Reel Recommendations

Default Iron Rod/Reel Recommendations

Im interested in getting another setup to throw iron. What would you recommend? No worries about budget but also to be kept at a reasonable price... not something like a ridiculous price at $800. So what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance
    Eddie

I love the Saltiga 30, casts a mile with 65 lb. spectra with a short leader of 40 lb floro. Killed many yellowtail on this rig. As for a rod, it's all personal preference. Graphite is totally different from glass. For me, I like glass. Go to your local tackle shop and pull on a few rods to see what you like.

My iron rig has been a 9ft Sabre 585 rod with a Penn 535 loaded with 1/2 of the spool with 65# spectra and the rest is 40# mono. It get's the job done.

For yellows get a 10ft ulua with a newell p533 4.6 with straight 50lb.

For cuda and smaller game fish get a baby ulua with a newell p332 with straight 30lb.

I second the saltiga 30. They cast like a dream.

For local SoCal: SuperSeeker in the 9 to 9.5 (Calstar 90J or 100Js are nice too I hear), your choice of action (cut from bottom or tip) and an Avet JX or Newell 322, deckhand style...of course!

If i was looking for a setup right now my choice would be....

Rod: 90J

Reel: a Newell P332 http://charkbait.com/cs/csrn.htm if i was on a budget....or a Saltiga30 http://charkbait.com/cs/csrd.htm if i was ballin.

i have a torium 20 with 30lb on it, and a 9ft teramar jig stick. i love this setup, the rods a lil light for some people, but good for me. torium casts great!

Thanks guys. I will be looking into these suggested rods and reels.

Eddie

My jig setup also doubles as my 25/30pound flyline setup.

30#flyline/jig setup- Avet MXL 2speed and Seeker G6480-8' CT

I noticed on the last trip that you have a Saltist 30?...Just a suggestion...If you dont want to spend money on a whole new setup you can use that saltist and put it on a longer rod such as a Calstar 800M or similar seeker. It can double as your jig/flyline setup. It would be nice to have a setup dedicated just to jigging but you dont NEED one. I get by with my one 30# setup...If i want to drop to 25 pound I just add a 5 foot flourocarbon leader.

You can take that 7' rod you have and use it for rockfishing....paired up with a saltist levelwind. Rockfish season is around the corner...Not sure if you have a setup for that yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast