Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New To Baitcasting Reels

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    Dude, relax. Why would you get so pissed off at Nessie? Big deal if he asked about choosing a spinning combo YEARS ago. It's kind of sad that you would use an ad hominem attack in an attempt to invalidate his advice like that.

Maybe you can't toss your baitcasters without any breaks, but it's an inductive argument to apply that to everybody else (more logical fallacies). How does being friends with "serious" tournament bass pros make your opinion more valid, and how do you define "serious"? Let's hear some names, and a little info to validate your claim. Also, just because you're somebody's friend doesn't mean you're their equal in one skill set. Yet another inductive argument on your part.

You actually have a few lines of decent info with regards to the mechanical aspect of the reel. The only thing I'd add is to not adjust the screws too much in case they come loose while the reel is in use.

The last part of your argument really is a matter of opinion. No spool tension works for you, but I think the guy might want to try a combination of the two since he's never used a baitcaster before. Since you've been using baitcasters for 20yrs, you've got a lot more experience with controlling the spool with your thumb. He doesn't, so the mechanical aid will help a lot.

Lastly, you ironically hit the nail on the head with "ego driven bullshit." Your argument above was the same "ego driven bullshit" that you accused Nessie of. Congrats.
    You obviously missed alot of the points and took this thing way off course . The most important part of my post stated: " You can not cast a baitcaster this size without brakes ". while nessie knowitall says you should try to cast without brakes. What I am saying is that you CANNOT period

I never made any argument about side tension control, just stated what works for me. So stop twisting words. Congrats ( if this doesn't make sense, refer to your own post ).

What 's an ad hominem attack ? I never called you a homo. If you are then that explains everything. Congrats: LOL: ( if this doesn't make sense, refer to your own post ).
    Last edited by Vman; 09-27-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessie Hunter View Post
    You know what they say about OPINIONS!!!!!!

I will bow to your extensive knowledge of Reels..
    After all you Have worked on ONE yourself!!!!!!!!

To the Original Poster/thread starter..
    Im sure if you practice some, it wont take long to figure out what works best for you.......

I will now take my "Ego Driven bullshit" and leave the answers to the True Masters......

I would love to see you cast a baitcaster with no brakes, even if only in your universe where the laws of physics cease to exist. Afterall, you are the true master.
    Last edited by Vman; 09-27-2009 at 01:34 PM.

No fighting in my thread!! Thanks for the useful tips guys! I will be sure to try them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    You obviously missed alot of the points and took this thing way off course . The most important part of my post stated: " You can not cast a baitcaster this size without brakes ". while nessie knowitall says you should try to cast without brakes. What I am saying is that you CANNOT period

I never made any argument about side tension control, just stated what works for me. So stop twisting words. Congrats ( if this doesn't make sense, refer to your own post ).
    You obviously missed a lot of my questions since you didn't respond to any of them. I just responded to your points, but if that doesn't make sense refer to the organizational structure of your previous post.

What's really amusing is that you still insist that because you and your friends can't use a baitcaster without breaks means that nobody else can. You are still using an inductive argument, and that's a logical fallacy. It's definitely possible if you use spool tension.

I find it amusing you automatically resort to another ad hominem attack on Nessie instead of actually trying to validate your argument. Also, Nessie says you should try to get to that point. Not that you should try it immediately. Guess that slipped by you.

I'm not twisting words at all. I'm just pointing out the logical fallacies in what you've said, and they are numerous enough that your statements are pretty much invalidated.

Next time you respond, try to not use logical fallacies. If you actually have a good point, avoiding them will actually make your argument persuasive.

Also, you never did say who your tournament bass pro buddies were, and what series/trail they fished. A list of their actual sponsors would be nice too. Care to enlighten us?

Sorry Fire Ball.
    Last edited by bsp; 09-27-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    BSP, Try it for yourself. Go outside, turn off all brakes, turn the side tension knob according to Nessie, and cast. Please no lies, you can not cast well enough to fish efficiently. Remember, NO LIES, to yourself or others here.

What 's the big deal with the names ? Why would I want to tell you their names in a situation like this ? It doesn't mean I have the same skill as they do, you said so, yourself. Actually, one of them is a relative and I feel no obligation to tell you anything.

So you took Logics 101. You are still dead wrong. Congrats. I have no time for this crap. I am done with this subject and if I offended you in anyway, it was intentional.

I am done okay? I am going fishing, no more chit chat. Remember, no lies.

What 's an ad hominem attack ? I never called you a homo. If you are then that explains everything. Congrats: LOL: ( if this doesn't make sense, refer to your own post ).
    I don't know what size this particular reel is but I turned all my brakes off on my Curado 201 DHSV, Chronarch 201 B, Curado 201 E7, and probably will on my Core 51MG7 (I haven't put much time on it yet). I cast them just fine. If you have good enough thumb control, you CAN turn off your brakes. I would think someone with 20 yrs experience would have by now. Also for my spool tension control knob, it's loosen enough for the spool to spin freely but not enough to have to spool rattle.
    Last edited by fish4keep; 09-27-2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: added 201 E7

BSP, Try it for yourself. Go outside, turn off all brakes, turn the side tension knob according to Nessie, and cast. Please no lies, you can not cast well enough to fish efficiently. Remember, NO LIES, to yourself or others here.

What 's the big deal with the names ? Why would I want to tell you their names in a situation like this ? It doesn't mean I have the same skill as they do, you said so, yourself. Actually, one of them is a relative and I feel no obligation to tell you anything.

So you took Logics 101. You are still dead wrong. Congrats. I have no time for this crap. I am done with this subject and if I offended you in anyway, it was intentional.

I am done okay? I am going fishing, no more chit chat. Remember, no lies.
    I did it just now with my Cardiff 200 and a 1oz jig on a Kistler LTA 76HC. I hit a coffee can 15yds away. That's the width of a lot of areas in park lakes, and I've caught bass that close in. Most bass pros when they are flipping make casts that are even shorter than that and catch plenty of bass.

As for the homo comment, I'm not a homo, but it's disappointing that you have to resort to that. Grow up.

Have a nice fishing trip.
    Last edited by bsp; 09-27-2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: no need to continue arguing

I may have skipped some of the comments/replies…however, if I may make a suggestion.

Make sure your reel is not missing any parts. Dig up a ‘Schematic/exploded view drawing’ of your reel. You can obtain this on line.

A couple months ago, a kid was having serious problems with ‘Controlled overruns’ on his newly purchased bait caster. He approached me requesting assistance so I made a few adjustments. When I tested it, the reel was a bit out of control. As it turns out, the spool adjustment was missing some important items. The threaded cap was there, but that was it.

Good luck out there

Quote Originally Posted by snag View Post
    I may have skipped some of the comments/replies…however, if I may make a suggestion.

Make sure your reel is not missing any parts. Dig up a ‘Schematic/exploded view drawing’ of your reel. You can obtain this on line.

A couple months ago, a kid was having serious problems with ‘Controlled overruns’ on his newly purchased bait caster. He approached me requesting assistance so I made a few adjustments. When I tested it, the reel was a bit out of control. As it turns out, the spool adjustment was missing some important items. The threaded cap was there, but that was it.

Good luck out there
    It seems like I have all the parts, because the brakes and spool tension knobs are working well. I am going to test my new rig in the surf today!

All this over casting a baitcaster,,,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast