Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Braid ? Mono ? or Flouro ?

Default Braid ? Mono ? or Flouro ?

Want to start this thread so we can all gather some info both salt and freshwater. I myself fish alot of harbor and surf. Do some shore lake fishing. Then there is the 3/4 days that i do.

I myself usually use topshot for everything 10# braid with 6# topshot. except boat I use 50# braid and 25# topshot. I have been thinking about changing some of my lighter tackle to all flouro 8# or i think straight braid.

Ok now for the question that should help alot of people out is what fish are line sensitive?

What line do you prefer and why?

I do alot of reading and always learn something new looking foward to all the post! Please Please leave your input/opinion! Thanks guys sure you will help us all out!

Depends on what technique and what fish I'm fighting for. I.E. DS'ing for spotties equals 10lb braid/5' of 4lb fluoro. Small swimmied for spotties on 1/8or 3/16 heads call for small casting reels with 15 or 20lb braid. If fishing open water, I'll go with 50 yards of 6 or 8lb mono leader. If pitching docks, 5' of 4 or 6lb fluoro.

Specific questions are easier to answer because there are just TOO many things to mention about each. I could probably write a book about each line.

Is flouro best for LMB fishing? IE: DSing, texas , spinnerbaits, LCs.. etc.. ??

I want to setup one reel with braid and another one with just flouro? This is mainly lake fishing...

if I top off the braid with flouro how much line of flouro do I put on? Also what is the best knot?

What is mono best situated for?

Thanks!

I never use braid other then when I troll for barracuda/WSB anything with messed up teeth, i personally hate braid for spinning gear,,,lol,,, I usually use half mono and half flouro...10# mono, 8# flouro,,,thats my go to spool most of the time. Flourocarbon has a thinner diameter and is less strechy unlike mono and it make the line more sensitive,and because of the material it'll last 5x more than mono and is virtually invisible.

Fluor is a great line for everything except topwater fishing as it sinks and screws up your topwater. I know becuase put fluoro on all my stuff and now im forced to fish topwater with it. Otherwise I love the fluro for everything else.

I guess I am old school I use Mono for everything.