Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy Jacks.

I grew up just across the river bed in Fish Canyon part of Duarte. We would fish the riverbed all year long. Trout, bluegill, and some other species were always present. That area was great, the BMX tracks on Hwy 39 were awesome too. Also there was the gun club up there, the skate pipes, the bamboo mx track and soo much more. We would spend from sun up to sun down out there all summer long. El Encanto was my favorite restaraunt for the longest time. Used to love the steak and huge wedge salads they would serve. Crystal Lake was a bitchin little fishery as well, the water was always so clear. I also remember the big rain uears when the water would be all the way up to the East Fork bridge and you could fish right there and get a limit of trout. REally enjoyed Azusa Cyn, now it seems like it has gone down hill fast, the fires, the road closures, the vandalism, the trash, the graffiti, the break ins to parked cars all prohibit me from returning. In the early 90s we would fish both forks of the River with Velveeta cheese on a bobber and small spoons. Such a shame to see it go down hill.......

Very cool, Karl. What memories. What a loss to kids now who won't be able to enjoy the canyons quite like we did.
    BTW, you didn't mention the old tackle shop/gold panning supply "house" alongside 39 there on the east side...

what a shame,its now gone. the benifit to kids was great.i took my son back in the late 70s.so i could make sure hed catch a fish the first time ever fishing..if you couldnt catch a fish, chances are you should never fish.it cost me a small fortune,but once he caught his first fish. he was hooked on fishing for life .now he owns his own ranger boat, and is an active member in the fresno bass club..

Very nice read and to the point Karl. I thank you for digging up my old post.

Hey, dont forget about the two buffalo across the street from Happy Jacks , once you see them you knew your in Good ol Azusa Canyon. I remember Crystal Lake was so full , we used to sit on top of the store /bait shop and fish for trout (because the water level was just touching the fascia board on the roof ).That was a good rest stop after coming down the river rock steps."Awe yes ,the good ole days when men were men and sheep were scared"

When my son and daughter were just a few years old (early 80s), my wife and I took them to Happy Jack's Trout Farm. The most memorable moment was when my son slipped on a rock at the water's edge, and tumbled into the water. He was wet and a little scared, but otherwise no worse for wear. The four of us had a good laugh about it, and even caught a few fish.

Quote Originally Posted by basssturd View Post
    Hey, dont forget about the two buffalo across the street from Happy Jacks , once you see them you knew your in Good ol Azusa Canyon. I remember Crystal Lake was so full , we used to sit on top of the store /bait shop and fish for trout (because the water level was just touching the fascia board on the roof ).That was a good rest stop after coming down the river rock steps."Awe yes ,the good ole days when men were men and sheep were scared"
    Nice!! one basssturd,I sure do remember the two buffalo across the street.

I had forgotten about the buffalo until you mentioned it. One new year's eve some of us thought it would be fun to drive out there and try to ride them (alcohol was involved). Good thing some of the people were sober and talked us out of it.

Karl..

You hit that out of the park!!! VERY GOOD READ!!!

Those words brought back some really cool memories for me.. Happy Jacks, Dirt Bike riding and 4 wheelin in Azusa canyon. Also fishing at San Dimas Canyon where I hardly ever caught anything.
    Oles, Zodies, Gemco, Mayfair, Barros Pizza in Montclair, Gemmels Pharmacy where we bought our candy...the list goes on.. Pomona Valley Kawasaki who I raced for in the 80's, In n out Burger (which I still go to), and Cycle Rider in Montclair...
    Heres a blast from the past.. How about the water fall in Mount Baldy?? Everyone used to party and swim there.. How about going motorcycle riding at "the Dyke" at the base of the hill from Chaffey college to the 15 freeway... Its now "Hunters Ridge" in Rancho... Or how about motorcyle riding at "Baseline" Houses all over our old stomping grounds and riding places now..
    Corona raceway, Ascot, and Indian Dunes to name a few were all places I used to race at that are closed now...

I can go on and on....Those were the days... GOOD TIMES!!

Pete

Default Thanks!

Thank you folks for your kind comments about my Azusa prose. Yes, those were the days! I also used to hike up a spur of San Gabriel Canyon that is behind where the stables were -- called Roberts Canyon. There used to be a few cabins way back in there, and remains of the old aqueduct that used to bring water down for what I believe was a gold mining operation. I am sure some of those ruins are there to this day! How about the Rainbow Angling Club! First fished there on 'Huck Finn Day' in 1961 or 1962 - thanks to an old friend of my family by the name of Ed Darby, who was part of the Azusa Parks & Recreation Department. If any of you have any photos of Happy Jacks you would like to share, I would be most grateful! I now live in Oregon and have been a NAUI Diving Instructor for over 30 years. How time flies! As I said, it's a "fast forward" - going way too fast now! Sad to see the Canyon Inn gone as well. Best Regards, Karl

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast