Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Bait Casting Rod & Reel

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    I think I will wait to get a bait casting reel then. I really don't want to spend $100 on one at this time. How about a $50 Abu Garcia reel and then a cheaper rod?
    Dude if the cheap $50 Abu Garcia you're talking about is the Black Max then by all means go for it. And the Max Combo is only like $70. That was my first low-pro combo and it was rock solid. Never had any problems and it was VERY good for its price. Abu Garcia makes some very nice gear.

Quote Originally Posted by TShaffer View Post
    Dude if the cheap $50 Abu Garcia you're talking about is the Black Max then by all means go for it. And the Max Combo is only like $70. That was my first low-pro combo and it was rock solid. Never had any problems and it was VERY good for its price. Abu Garcia makes some very nice gear.
    I have only heard good things about their reels so I decided to bid on this one to see if I could actually get it that low. I was pretty surprised to get it for that cheap.

Now for a rod. Any suggestions that aren't too expensive?
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 09-20-2009 at 06:18 PM.

What's your budget for the rod?

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    What's your budget for the rod?
    Would $30 be ok? I might go down to Big 5 after school and look at some rods. I might be able to get a rod cheaper than retail on eBay like I got the reel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    I have only heard good things about their reels so I decided to bid on this one to see if I could actually get it that low. I was pretty surprised to get it for that cheap.

Now for a rod. Any suggestions that aren't too expensive?
    Abu Garcia Black Max Rod is only $20 and is suited for the Black Max Reel. Best low budget combo in my book.
    Last edited by TShaffer; 09-20-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Cheap bass rods start at about the $50 range. Check out the Abu Garcia Vengeance or Shimano Clarus rods for low price, decent quality rods. My vote out of those would be the Abu Garcia Vengeance if you could find one. The $50 6'10" Med Hvy would be a good beginner bass rod for the price. Spend the money on something decent to give you a feel for what baitcasting gear can do.
    Last edited by bsp; 09-20-2009 at 07:00 PM.

Decent bass rods start at about the $50 range. Check out the Abu Garcia Vengeance or Shimano Clarus rods for low price, decent quality rods.
    BSP is right about the clarus. That is a very nice rod for the price and you can find them very cheap.

Would a medium action rod be best for general purposes?

No, a medium power rod is usually only good for crankbaits. Go with a fast action if you are just starting out for most techniques.

Be very careful with the distinction between Action and Power. You want a fast action rod most of the time, but the power changes.

Action is how much the rod bends. Fast action rods only bend at the tip, medium bends halfway down the rod, and slow bends all the way to the grips.

Power is how strong the rod is. When you see rods in a store that say Med-Hvy, Med, Light, UL, or Hvy, those are all power descriptions. Obviously Hvy rods cast heavier weights.

No, a medium power rod is usually only good for crankbaits. Go with a fast action if you are just starting out for most techniques.

Be very careful with the distinction between Action and Power. You want a fast action rod most of the time, but the power changes.

Action is how much the rod bends. Fast action rods only bend at the tip, medium bends halfway down the rod, and slow bends all the way to the grips.

Power is how strong the rod is. When you see rods in a store that say Med-Hvy, Med, Light, UL, or Hvy, those are all power descriptions. Obviously Hvy rods cast heavier weights.
    Ok, I was getting that confused. Yes, I know I want a fast action rod. So will a medium power rod work well?
    What length? I was thinking around 6 foot.
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 09-20-2009 at 07:16 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast