Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Bait Casting Rod & Reel

Default Cheap Bait Casting Rod & Reel

What do you think about a $40 bait casting combo? I am currently using a $27 Shimano rod and $20 Shimano spinning reel. I have never used a bait casting reel and want to start using one. Is a $40 combo going to break really fast or anything? Also, what kind and how heavy should the line be that I put on it. I am going to be doing most of my fishing at Castaic.

Well you get what you pay for...

Line depends on the rod and reel ratings and size. You will not get smooth operation for a 27$ reel but it should work. Look and line and see what the reel is rated for. The rod will tell you also what it is rated for.

40 bucks for a complete combo in a baitcaster????
    with all do respect good luck with that if you want a quality peice of equiptment you got to pony up the dough
    but you could maybe find a cheapy one at big 5
    a decent set up will cost you around 150.oo bucks maybe 100.oo
    i wouldnt waste money on something you will have to replace soon after you buy it
    http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/workingorder.html
    heres a combo for 100.oo thats the cheapest i could find on the site good luck
    but dont waste you money on off brand stuff

I think I will wait to get a bait casting reel then. I really don't want to spend $100 on one at this time. How about a $50 Abu Garcia reel and then a cheaper rod?

Go for it. Those cheapy Abus aren't all that bad, and if you go with a Berkley Lightning rod you have a combo that will let you figure out if you want to stick with it.

High end gear for baitcasters does make a huge difference though in terms of casting lighter weights and sensitivity. As long as you toss 1/2oz or more then you should be fine.

Seems to me that you're trying to force yourself to use a baitcaster. If you don't need it NOW, then wait save up, and find a nice used reel for $50-$60. You can get by with a cheap rod at maybe $20, but not a reel. Casting reels don't make you a better fisherman, nor do they make you look like a better fisherman. Maybe you should stick to your spinning combo.

You're gonna eventually learn that good equipment is much more comfortable to fish, lasts longer, and in the end has much better value.

I might end up getting a cheap Abu Garcia and then a cheap reel. What kind and how heavy should the line be for fishing for bass at Castaic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    I might end up getting a cheap Abu Garcia and then a cheap reel. What kind and how heavy should the line be for fishing for bass at Castaic.
    Depends which "cheap" Abu you want and what you want to do with it. Crank? Dropshot? Plastic? Swimbaits? A "cheap" Abu is $50-$60, so... Like someone said, you get what you pay for.

My question is why do you need a casting reel?

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    Depends which "cheap" Abu you want and what you want to do with it. Crank? Dropshot? Plastic? Swimbaits? A "cheap" Abu is $50-$60, so... Like someone said, you get what you pay for.

My question is why do you need a casting reel?
    I just bought an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur Black Max on eBay for $36 when they retail for $50. I want line that I will be able to use for multiple purposes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast